Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
You're welcome. Reported this to MR 2 minutes after it appears on the BBC site. Wont bother in future.

Last edited:
C

champ01

I gotta jump in. You're HILARIOUS! All these people who buy Apple stuff in droves aren't really as satisfied as they believe they are; the clever, Machiavellian Apple marketing team brainwashed them into buying garbage. I feel so sorry for these poor Apple product owners who are so misguided for liking what they were cleverly lured into buying.

Wow. I wish we were all as insightful. Now I must go throw away my watch (also a piece of junk since I can't fix it myself) because it's running slow.

This shows how comfortable you are with waste. Keep laughing.
You have no idea how the economy works. Go read some books about the monetary system then get back to me. ;)

Renzatic

Suspended
You really have no idea how marketing works do you? Do you have kids? If so tell me how their actions (what they think they need/want) are created.

That's the thing. The clip isn't about Jony Ives the Apple Design Guru. It's about Jony Ive, Design Guy.

It's too subtle and slow for children's marketing. Too nonspecific for adult marketing. Maybe there's a scene before the clip they're not showing, where they go "We went to visit Jonathan Ives, head designer at APPLE INC., makers of the WORLD FAMOUS IPAD, IPAD MINI, AND IPHONES WE ALL KNOW AND LOVE AND CHANGED OUR LIVES FOREVER", but the clip as it is above is nothing more than the host talking to a designer about one project a kid had done for the show, and said designer being awarded a gold badge for...they don't say. For any kid watching, it's just some old guy who obviously does cool stuff (judging by the lab he's in) being awarded for doing some unspecified cool thing.

The only demographic it could be directly marketing to are people who already know who Jony Ive is and what he does. For them, it's an advert preaching to the choir.

Last edited:

SiPat

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2009
The BBC is obsessed with a handful of brands and gives undue prominence to them in various outlets (mainly news), despite the Editorial Guidelines forbidding this to happen. Apple is one of these brands, although Twitter and Facebook receive a little more exposure.

This 'award' is not really surprising.

Are you serious? The BBC is mostly anti-Apple -- have you read anything written by their chief technologist Rory Cellan-Jones?

As far as Jonny Ive being awarded the Blue Peter badge? Blue Peter were probably in the back of the queue given the number of awards Ive has had. The video nearly brought a tear to my eye -- does he even look like he has millions in the bank? He was so humble and I think a tad embarrassed with all the attention he's getting.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Having a technician replace my hard drive. Are you serious???
And thats with warranty. You get ripped by Apple when the warranty is over.

iFixit is a great site that not have their heads in Apple's bottom yet. Be happy that they are still independent. At least they try to be honest.

As I suspected you have an agenda just like ifxit. But your agenda doesn't determine what is/isn't good design. It's just your opinion.

All Taken

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2009
UK
Love it, how on earth did the Beeb get him on Blue Peter..good for him to do it and Apple's PR letting him..

What he does on his own time is his choice, yes he has the implications on the image that is 'Apple' to consider but a man with his big boots really does have the power to say, yep, I'm doing this today would like to do it in Fabrication room 3 and will be done when I'm done.

----------

Having a technician replace my hard drive. Are you serious???
And thats with warranty. You get ripped by Apple when the warranty is over.

iFixit is a great site that not have their heads in Apple's bottom yet. Be happy that they are still independent. At least they try to be honest.

Clearly you haven't looked at the latest surface article on ifixit.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
They don't criticize design. They never say "It's almost impossible to get into, and once you're in there, everything has been superglued to the motherboard, which takes hours to remove. But...you know...the chassis is just so sleek and stylish, and projects classiness with every beveled edge. I don't think we could give it anything less than a 6/10".

No. What they do is look at a device and give it a low score if it's difficult to fix, and a high one if it's easy.

But the point trying to be made is if something isn't user repairable its crap design and using iFixit comments to back up their assertion. Also Kyle Wiens penned a letter to Ive complaining about Apple (in his opinion) not following Dieter Rams principles for good design. I guess we'll see if he pens a similar letter to Panos Panay over the Surface Pro design. Personally I think it's all much ado about nothing. I'm sure Apple and Microsoft aren't losing sleep over the ratings they get on iFixit. :)

you people smh

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2011
My sister has just sculpted my old PowerBook into a butterfly. (Not the best looking thing but it is art) And that is proof that these products can take on new life after they are done being used

HA

hahaha

And we've officially reached a new level of macrumors delusion

Congrats

chadley_chad

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2004
Nottingham, UK
It's about time creepy, cheesy Ive did some designing ... can't say we've seen anything 'revolutioary', different or for that matter better than the competition for a number of years!!!

C

champ01

As I suspected you have an agenda just like ifxit. But your agenda doesn't determine what is/isn't good design. It's just your opinion.

No I don't have an agenda. I do run a business so I know a thing or two about marketing, fanboys etc.
My business runs completely on Apple computers btw.
So please do tell me again what my so called agenda is.

I don't care about opinions. All I care for is the truth.
Fanboys can't coop with that because of their feelings for a mighty brand or whatever.

Btw almost all computer companies build crap. Its not only Apple.
Selling crap means more profit for a longer period of time. If you don't get that you know nothing about how an industry works.

----------

Clearly you haven't looked at the latest surface article on ifixit.

I did but what does MS got to do with this? We're talking about Apple. I could care less what MS does. I'm an Apple guy ;)

Btw this is the score of the RT tablet. (but I could say the same for every product that Apple builds)
NDdiFCNWQgljKkev.medium

I have no problem with being wrong if that would be the case. (**** my ego)
We simply can't denied that almost every product is build like crap nowadays, missing features that could've easily been added.

Why is there no Retina iPad mini, new Mac Pro, Touch screen Macs, Retina on all MB's (including the MB Air)? These products can easily be build today yet Apple won't make them. The most important reason behind that is so that Apple can make more profit by delaying products.

Its how business survives the economic system. Apple of course didn't design the system and they can't escape it either. We're all screwed by this system. Most of the time the more money companies make the worse their products become. I applause to those who quit their jobs because they saw how their hard work only filled the pockets of shareholders.

Take the car industry (because its an easy example for most people to understand)
If Ford would build a car with self reparable materials, less parts, cleaner engine etc. it could last a lifetime. It would also kill the entire car industry within a few years.

Anyway... I just wanted to point out that the designs look nice but as a total they lack so much. Don't we want the best possible? I didn't watch the whole video only the a few minutes. I wasn't commenting the whole video just that about Ive saying he liked how you could keep using things.

Last edited by a moderator:

crepuscular

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2012
This shows how comfortable you are with waste. Keep laughing.
You have no idea how the economy works. Go read some books about the monetary system then get back to me. ;)

How about you just go away; you're clearly just a git with a grudge.

tangentially

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2007
Love the headline but...

Love the headline:

"Jonathan Ive Inspires Child Designers..."

but what exactly is involved in designing a child? Also why do those who design children need inspiration?

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
i enjoy the fact that most people's (including my own) first reaction to this article was amazement to see ive smile. even just a little.

satkin2

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2010
The unibody Blue Peter badge is something special, really nice touch. Blue Peter was a cornerstone of may youngsters growing up in Britain, hope Jonny being on there helps inspire the next generation of great designers.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Jonathan Ive has a Blue Peter?! :eek:

They really should've thought more about the name for that award. :D

The show is called Blue Peter and its been around since 1958. Blue Peter is not an award, its a very well known show, the worlds longest running children's show.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
It's about time creepy, cheesy Ive did some designing ... can't say we've seen anything 'revolutioary', different or for that matter better than the competition for a number of years!!!

We really need downvoting back.

spetznatz

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2006
Both.

One of my junior school classmates was on Magpie for finding a 13-leaf clover!

I remember that... It was the Susan Stranks / Jenny Hanley / Tony Bastaple / Mick Robinson era... Early seventies ... Or am I getting all confused...?

Back to Blue Peter, I'm old enough to Remember the greatest ever blue Peter presenter – John Noakes – training with the red devils (I think... a parachute regiment from the British Army, at any rate) and becoming the first ever civilian to skydive from 5 miles up: I'd like to see any of the modern-day presenters try that one...

Oh, And some of our non-UK members might like to try googling the words 'blue Peter' and 'elephant'…

Last edited:

JackHobbs

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2009
London
What I particularly liked (apart from the bashful smiling of Jony:)) was the fact that the phrase " and here is one I made earlier". It brings back happy memories of John Noakes or Valerie Singleton making something, glueing stuff or using sticky back plastic and it looking a bit rubbish. They then brought out the one they had made earlier where the glue had dried and it looked absolutely amazing.

Who can forget their amazing Tracy Island or the Advent candle thing made up of coat hangers that looked like it was a fire risk.

I thought I was a Magpie type of girl but clearly I watched Blue Peter more than I thought!

It's not quite as epic as the elephant but for the Americans and nostalgic Brits, google Simon Groom, Blue Peter and Knockers. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.