Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
Goto apps in settings find google.framework under "all". Clear data, force kill, then check for the update again.

You can probably google better instructions.

Btw you won't lose any important data or anything like that.

Excellent. Thank you very much indeed, :) installing update now. :D

NewAnger

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Denver Colorado
Goto apps in settings find google.framework under "all". Clear data, force kill, then check for the update again.

The instructions I found online say to clear the cache but pressing the clear cache button does nothing. It still shows 12.00KB there.

NewAnger

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Denver Colorado

Figured out how to do it correctly. Still no luck after trying it about 10 times. I'll keep trying today.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Figured out how to do it correctly. Still no luck after trying it about 10 times. I'll keep trying today.

Whose your carrier? I'd check on android forums to see if there is a delay on certain carriers. Be patient, you aren't missing much from what I'm seeing.

It's like iOS 6.1.1 for my 4S, I notice no change in phone behavior.

NewAnger

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Denver Colorado
Whose your carrier? I'd check on android forums to see if there is a delay on certain carriers. Be patient, you aren't missing much from what I'm seeing.

It's like iOS 6.1.1 for my 4S, I notice no change in phone behavior.

I've been switching from T-Mobile to AT&T several times over the past few days.

Sylon

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2012
Michigan/Ohio, USA

All this time I've been Force Stopping, clearing data then rebooting and still would get nothing. Tried it your way, without rebooting, and there it was.

Thanks!

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
I went into location access and turned it off. Then I went to Google framework services and cleared data. Then I turned location services back on and cleared Google services again. Then I hit check now under system update and it worked.

As far as battery improvements go I'm not convinced. There was nothing in the change log to suggest huge battery increase. I'm starting to think iGentleman was trolling.

viskon

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2012
Well, I don't know what they did on 4.2.2, but I have never seen this kind of battery life on my GNex. Would usually get 12 hours of battery with 3 hours of screen time.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1360949140799.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1360949140799.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 77
  • uploadfromtaptalk1360949156549.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1360949156549.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I went into location access and turned it off. Then I went to Google framework services and cleared data. Then I turned location services back on and cleared Google services again. Then I hit check now under system update and it worked.

As far as battery improvements go I'm not convinced. There was nothing in the change log to suggest huge battery increase. I'm starting to think iGentleman was trolling.

Except for the fact google changed their marketing material to reflect a 2 hour increase.....

From what I've read/heard, the battery life issue was mainly due to the way 4.2.1 dealt with certain processes and the increased battery life can be attributed to a more efficient way of doing that - general, I know, but I don't think it would be anything that would show up in a change log because they didn't do 'one thing' or 'flip a switch' to increase the battery life.....simply an overall increase in efficiency.

I haven't been on 4.2.2 long enough to tell - and to be quite honest, I'm a pretty light user. That said with just about equal use (and sometimes the iPhone 5 getting heavier use) my iPhone 5 would be about 20%+ ahead at the end of the day. Will be interested to see if that gap is reduced.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
I have.

2Fxbb.png

fAtxk.png

Till this day, the GN is my favorite smartphone, largely in part to the amazing battery life it got.

Most important factor in battery life is On Screen Time. Anyone can get 24hours battery if only a measly 3 hours on screen time. My Note 2 gets 8hours On Screen time, and total of 18 hours use, on a heavy workday use, being on, non stop all day, tons of phone calls, GPS navigation, million texts, surfing the web, etc...On the weekends, with light use, my Note 2 goes 36 hours no problem.

You must have been on the GSM Nexus, not the Verizon Nexus which blew on battery life.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Figures this update would come the very day I sold my Nexus 4.

I won't ever regret buying it though, it opened my eyes to a world outside the iPhone. Had this update come out a month earlier, however, I might still have it. Oh well, I am loving my Note 2 as well.

Michael

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)

I won't ever regret buying it though, it opened my eyes to a world outside the iPhone. Had this update come out a month earlier, however, I might still have it. Oh well, I am loving my Note 2 as well.

Michael

The jump from the Nexus 4 to a Note II ain't bad at all to be honest. I'd love to get one myself!

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006

Michael

Haha practically the same happened to me. I have no regrets either but the phone's battery life was simply awful. I'm interested in a Note but I think I should wait until the Oppo and M7 comes out.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012

Michael

The Note II is the better phone. Insanely great battery life, and I actually like the AMOLED screen better, with the deep blacks, and vibrant colors, I know most hate Samsung displays, but the Note II's screen is really nice. And the new CM10.1 ROM's running 4.2.2 are blazing fast on this phone.

I feel the Nexus 4 was a let down for a new Nexus device. Yes for the price it's the best deal in town, but outside of the great price, the phone to me is just meh.

The display on the Nexus 4 is just average, for 2012 it's the third best screen, the HTC DNA being #1, the HTC One X being #2, then a toss up between the Nexus 4 and iPhone 5 display, and Note II.

Battery life is just terrible for a phone with a 2100mh battery. Oh well, here's hoping the Nexus-Five won't be another LG device, time to give Sony a shot, or back to HTC.

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
My battery so far today on 4.2.2...

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-02-15-14-11-20.png
    Screenshot_2013-02-15-14-11-20.png
    167.2 KB · Views: 88

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
My screen time

Wow, that is abysmal.... I've never had it that bad, still on 4.2.1 here because I'm not updating until it's pushed OTA for me.

----------

Thanks man! Worked!

Now if only my other problem with Nexus 4 could be resolved. Sometimes I'll have it on for a while, I'll turn it off because some places in my work Phones are forbidden because they're sensitive areas, upon turning it back on I'll get a flood of text messages and app updates.

NewAnger

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Denver Colorado
Wow, that is abysmal.... I've never had it that bad, still on 4.2.1 here because I'm not updating until it's pushed OTA for me.

----------

Thanks man! Worked!

Now if only my other problem with Nexus 4 could be resolved. Sometimes I'll have it on for a while, I'll turn it off because some places in my work Phones are forbidden because they're sensitive areas, upon turning it back on I'll get a flood of text messages and app updates.

I'm still trying. Np update for me yet.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Most important factor in battery life is On Screen Time. Anyone can get 24hours battery if only a measly 3 hours on screen time. My Note 2 gets 8hours On Screen time, and total of 18 hours use, on a heavy workday use, being on, non stop all day, tons of phone calls, GPS navigation, million texts, surfing the web, etc...On the weekends, with light use, my Note 2 goes 36 hours no problem.

You must have been on the GSM Nexus, not the Verizon Nexus which blew on battery life.

Yes gsm. Didn't realize you meant the verizon one. I have definitely heard horror stories with the verizon version.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
I am confused, people still waiting for the 4.2.2 update ? It's been out for a few days now, just install it.

Are there people with a Nexus 4, and not rooted ? :confused:

NewAnger

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Denver Colorado
I am confused, people still waiting for the 4.2.2 update ? It's been out for a few days now, just install it.

Are there people with a Nexus 4, and not rooted ? :confused:

Yes. I looked up how to install the app manually and it seemed complicated for someone who has only had an android phone for two days. The update finally came through for me about an hour ago.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.