Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:47 AM   #1276
daveathall
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynics View Post
Goto apps in settings find google.framework under "all". Clear data, force kill, then check for the update again.

You can probably google better instructions.

Btw you won't lose any important data or anything like that.
Excellent. Thank you very much indeed, installing update now.
daveathall is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:51 AM   #1277
cynics
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
Excellent. Thank you very much indeed, installing update now.
Glad it work for you. I've used that in the past but it never worked but with my N10 it did.

Probably something designed to keep servers from over loading lol
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:54 AM   #1278
NewAnger
Banned

Quote:
Goto apps in settings find google.framework under "all". Clear data, force kill, then check for the update again.

The instructions I found online say to clear the cache but pressing the clear cache button does nothing. It still shows 12.00KB there.
NewAnger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:17 AM   #1279
NewAnger
Banned

Quote:

Figured out how to do it correctly. Still no luck after trying it about 10 times. I'll keep trying today.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:29 AM   #1280
cynics
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAnger View Post
Figured out how to do it correctly. Still no luck after trying it about 10 times. I'll keep trying today.
Whose your carrier? I'd check on android forums to see if there is a delay on certain carriers. Be patient, you aren't missing much from what I'm seeing.

It's like iOS 6.1.1 for my 4S, I notice no change in phone behavior.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:36 AM   #1281
NewAnger
Banned

Quote:
Whose your carrier? I'd check on android forums to see if there is a delay on certain carriers. Be patient, you aren't missing much from what I'm seeing.

It's like iOS 6.1.1 for my 4S, I notice no change in phone behavior.
I've been switching from T-Mobile to AT&T several times over the past few days.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:36 AM   #1282
Sylon
macrumors 68000

Quote:

All this time I've been Force Stopping, clearing data then rebooting and still would get nothing. Tried it your way, without rebooting, and there it was.

Thanks!
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:24 PM   #1283
Frankied22
macrumors 65816

I went into location access and turned it off. Then I went to Google framework services and cleared data. Then I turned location services back on and cleared Google services again. Then I hit check now under system update and it worked.

As far as battery improvements go I'm not convinced. There was nothing in the change log to suggest huge battery increase. I'm starting to think iGentleman was trolling.
Frankied22 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:29 PM   #1284
viskon
macrumors 6502

Well, I don't know what they did on 4.2.2, but I have never seen this kind of battery life on my GNex. Would usually get 12 hours of battery with 3 hours of screen time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1360949140799.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	397129   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1360949156549.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	397130  

Last edited by viskon; Feb 15, 2013 at 12:40 PM.
viskon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:37 PM   #1285
jrswizzle
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankied22 View Post
I went into location access and turned it off. Then I went to Google framework services and cleared data. Then I turned location services back on and cleared Google services again. Then I hit check now under system update and it worked.

As far as battery improvements go I'm not convinced. There was nothing in the change log to suggest huge battery increase. I'm starting to think iGentleman was trolling.
Except for the fact google changed their marketing material to reflect a 2 hour increase.....

From what I've read/heard, the battery life issue was mainly due to the way 4.2.1 dealt with certain processes and the increased battery life can be attributed to a more efficient way of doing that - general, I know, but I don't think it would be anything that would show up in a change log because they didn't do 'one thing' or 'flip a switch' to increase the battery life.....simply an overall increase in efficiency.

I haven't been on 4.2.2 long enough to tell - and to be quite honest, I'm a pretty light user. That said with just about equal use (and sometimes the iPhone 5 getting heavier use) my iPhone 5 would be about 20%+ ahead at the end of the day. Will be interested to see if that gap is reduced.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:41 PM   #1286
onthecouchagain
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by viskon View Post
Well, I don't know what they did on 4.2.2, but I have never seen this kind of battery life on my GNex.

I have.

Thumb resize.

Thumb resize.

Till this day, the GN is my favorite smartphone, largely in part to the amazing battery life it got.
onthecouchagain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:51 PM   #1287
Tig Bitties
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthecouchagain View Post
I have.

Thumb resize.

Thumb resize.

Till this day, the GN is my favorite smartphone, largely in part to the amazing battery life it got.
Most important factor in battery life is On Screen Time. Anyone can get 24hours battery if only a measly 3 hours on screen time. My Note 2 gets 8hours On Screen time, and total of 18 hours use, on a heavy workday use, being on, non stop all day, tons of phone calls, GPS navigation, million texts, surfing the web, etc...On the weekends, with light use, my Note 2 goes 36 hours no problem.

You must have been on the GSM Nexus, not the Verizon Nexus which blew on battery life.
Tig Bitties is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:52 PM   #1288
Tinmania
macrumors 68030

Figures this update would come the very day I sold my Nexus 4.

I won't ever regret buying it though, it opened my eyes to a world outside the iPhone. Had this update come out a month earlier, however, I might still have it. Oh well, I am loving my Note 2 as well.

Michael
Tinmania is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:10 PM   #1289
ChazUK
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinmania View Post

I won't ever regret buying it though, it opened my eyes to a world outside the iPhone. Had this update come out a month earlier, however, I might still have it. Oh well, I am loving my Note 2 as well.

Michael
The jump from the Nexus 4 to a Note II ain't bad at all to be honest. I'd love to get one myself!
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:53 PM   #1290
akuma13
macrumors 6502

Quote:

Michael
Haha practically the same happened to me. I have no regrets either but the phone's battery life was simply awful. I'm interested in a Note but I think I should wait until the Oppo and M7 comes out.
akuma13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 02:14 PM   #1291
Tig Bitties
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

Michael

The Note II is the better phone. Insanely great battery life, and I actually like the AMOLED screen better, with the deep blacks, and vibrant colors, I know most hate Samsung displays, but the Note II's screen is really nice. And the new CM10.1 ROM's running 4.2.2 are blazing fast on this phone.

I feel the Nexus 4 was a let down for a new Nexus device. Yes for the price it's the best deal in town, but outside of the great price, the phone to me is just meh.

The display on the Nexus 4 is just average, for 2012 it's the third best screen, the HTC DNA being #1, the HTC One X being #2, then a toss up between the Nexus 4 and iPhone 5 display, and Note II.

Battery life is just terrible for a phone with a 2100mh battery. Oh well, here's hoping the Nexus-Five won't be another LG device, time to give Sony a shot, or back to HTC.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 02:15 PM   #1292
Frankied22
macrumors 65816

My battery so far today on 4.2.2...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_2013-02-15-14-11-20.png
Views:	39
Size:	167.2 KB
ID:	397147  
Old Feb 15, 2013, 02:16 PM   #1293
Frankied22
macrumors 65816

My screen time
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_2013-02-15-14-11-34.png
Views:	37
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	397148  
Old Feb 15, 2013, 02:25 PM   #1294
Dr McKay
macrumors 68040

Send a message via MSN to Dr McKay Send a message via Skype™ to Dr McKay
Quote:
My screen time
Wow, that is abysmal.... I've never had it that bad, still on 4.2.1 here because I'm not updating until it's pushed OTA for me.

----------

Quote:

Thanks man! Worked!

Now if only my other problem with Nexus 4 could be resolved. Sometimes I'll have it on for a while, I'll turn it off because some places in my work Phones are forbidden because they're sensitive areas, upon turning it back on I'll get a flood of text messages and app updates.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 02:28 PM   #1295
Tig Bitties
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
My battery so far today on 4.2.2...
Ouch. Just like the Verizon Nexus.

My Note II gets four times the battery life.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 02:29 PM   #1296
NewAnger
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr McKay View Post
Wow, that is abysmal.... I've never had it that bad, still on 4.2.1 here because I'm not updating until it's pushed OTA for me.

----------

Thanks man! Worked!

Now if only my other problem with Nexus 4 could be resolved. Sometimes I'll have it on for a while, I'll turn it off because some places in my work Phones are forbidden because they're sensitive areas, upon turning it back on I'll get a flood of text messages and app updates.
I'm still trying. Np update for me yet.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 03:12 PM   #1297
onthecouchagain
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tig Bitties View Post
Most important factor in battery life is On Screen Time. Anyone can get 24hours battery if only a measly 3 hours on screen time. My Note 2 gets 8hours On Screen time, and total of 18 hours use, on a heavy workday use, being on, non stop all day, tons of phone calls, GPS navigation, million texts, surfing the web, etc...On the weekends, with light use, my Note 2 goes 36 hours no problem.

You must have been on the GSM Nexus, not the Verizon Nexus which blew on battery life.
Yes gsm. Didn't realize you meant the verizon one. I have definitely heard horror stories with the verizon version.
onthecouchagain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 03:35 PM   #1298
NewAnger
Banned

Finally got the update. I finally got it to come through by changing my sim from AT&T to T-Mobile and back a few times while trying out some things.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 04:17 PM   #1299
Tig Bitties
macrumors 6502a

I am confused, people still waiting for the 4.2.2 update ? It's been out for a few days now, just install it.

Are there people with a Nexus 4, and not rooted ?
Old Feb 15, 2013, 04:24 PM   #1300
NewAnger
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tig Bitties View Post
I am confused, people still waiting for the 4.2.2 update ? It's been out for a few days now, just install it.

Are there people with a Nexus 4, and not rooted ?
Yes. I looked up how to install the app manually and it seemed complicated for someone who has only had an android phone for two days. The update finally came through for me about an hour ago.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Tags
android, google, nexus, nexus4