Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has added refurbished models of the current-generation 21.5" iMac to its Online Store in the past several days, offering a faster-shipping alternative to customers looking to get a desktop Mac.

New iMac models on the Apple Online Store list a lead time of several weeks to get delivered, while the refurbished models claim to ship in 1-3 days, with $200 and $230 discounts on the low- and high-end 21" models respectively.

imac.jpg

Apple Retail Stores list mid-March as the earliest time to pick up new 21" iMacs ordered online, but Amazon.com claims to have both 21" models in stock [$1,299 and $1,494] and eligible for Amazon Prime shipping.

Ship times on the 21.5" iMac rose to 2-3 weeks back in January, and have not improved since then. Tim Cook mentioned on Apple's earnings call in January that the company would increase iMac supply this quarter, but may not get to supply/demand balance.

27" iMac models have yet to appear on the refurbished store, with the company reporting a 3-4 week lead time online and late March for in-store pickup. Amazon has the base 27" model in stock for $1,799.

Article Link: Apple Online Store Offering Refurbished Current-Generation 21" iMac, Shipping in 1-3 Days

Last edited:

Corrode

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2008
Calgary, AB
i.e. All returns from users that bought them and realised 5400rpm drives are, nowadays, total crap.

Obviously the jump from 5400rpm to SSD is huge but is the jump from 5400 to 7200 that big? I've always used a 5400rpm drive but maybe I've been missing out.

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
Obviously the jump from 5400rpm to SSD is huge but is the jump from 5400 to 7200 that big? I've always used a 5400rpm drive but maybe I've been missing out.

Depends on the drive, but for Apple not to be offering Fusion Drive from the get-go is a complete d*bag move whatever way you look at it.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
i.e. All returns from users that bought them and realised 5400rpm drives are, nowadays, total crap.

I just love ridiculous posts like this. Gotta love MR for thinking they are Apple's only customers. :rolleyes:. Did it ever occur to anyone here that the majority of Apple's customers, maybe, just maybe, are normal everyday people that aren't geeks, they don't give a rats butt about a 5400rpm drive or the GPU, or the SSD vs. the Fusion drive or the fact that screen is molded together? PUULLEESE! Get over yourselves. Maybe these people decided to upgrade to the 27". Oh yeah, that's a thought? :p. I'll bet more people that don't frequent here telling of all their returns/exchanges are getting work done on their iMacs. ;)

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
I just love ridiculous posts like this. Gotta love MR for thinking they are Apple's only customers. :rolleyes:. Did it ever occur to anyone here that the majority of Apple's customers, maybe, just maybe, are normal everyday people that aren't geeks, they don't give a rats butt about a 5400rpm drive or the GPU, or the SSD vs. the Fusion drive or the fact that screen is molded together? PUULLEESE! Get over yourselves. Maybe these people decided to upgrade to the 27". Oh yeah, that's a thought? :p. I'll bet more people that don't frequent here telling of all their returns/exchanges are getting work done on their iMacs. ;)

Maybe so, but I don't think It's right for Apple to forget It's pro or creative customers, we want the ability to make upgrades down the line. It would have been wise for Apple to consider both category of users.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Maybe so, but I don't think It's right for Apple to forget It's pro or creative customers, we want the ability to make upgrades down the line. It would have been wise for Apple to consider both category of users.

I thought it was just announced that the update to the Mac Pro is on it's way?

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012

Then buy a Mac Pro.

The iMac has never been user-upgradable. And tbh, anyone with a bit of common sense can open the current iMac - it's taped shut, not "welded".

mushroomtip

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012

I thought the iMac is geared more to the everyday to the more knowledgable everyday consumer and the Mac Pro is for the pro and creative customers ?

Last edited:

DCJ001

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2007

The new iMacs are great!

You should use one before you try to criticize something that you have not used.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Looked at the new beautifully thin iMacs for my next computer for photography work in Lightroom. But I don't like the fact they only go up to an i5. I think I've settled on the base model MacBook Pro with Retina Display 15" with 16GB of RAM. Very powerful laptop...I think I'd like to move away from a fixed desktop setup. I can always get a Cinema Display if I needed extra screen estate.

chrisrosemusic1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2012
Northamptonshire, England
errrr there aren't any 2012 iMac models in the UK refurb store.....

There isn't bugger all in the UK store as it stands atm.

----------

Looked at the new beautifully thin iMacs for my next computer for photography work in Lightroom. But I don't like the fact they only go up to an i5. I think I've settled on the base model MacBook Pro with Retina Display 15" with 16GB of RAM. Very powerful laptop...I think I'd like to move away from a fixed desktop setup. I can always get a Cinema Display if I needed extra screen estate.

You're essentially bettering the iMac by doing this anyway. I was going to get an iMac but opted for another MBP. I'll get an external monitor and a USB hub and it's a desktop when it needs to be.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.