Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rsm10

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2009
I've had every iPhone since 2G.. I remember everyone thinking it was crap and too big... Oh look how wrong they was! Ha ha. But the contracts in the uk are 18 month or two years. But I've always sold mines and moved up the next "G" or "S"

Bako-MacAddict

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2012
California
I do ! Since the 3G came out I've been getting every single model . I baby my devices end of story . I keep up with the rumors when the new generation phones is going to drop . So when all the rumors are confirmed , a month before the new device drops I put an Ad on Craigslist and sell my phone so quick for a decent amount. I include the original box and untouched accessories. No dings or scratches on the phone either so I get a nice cut . Normally my difference for a new phone is about 150-200 bucks out of pocket when I do an "early upgrade" . And when I'm eligible for a 2 year upgrade I normally make a few bucks #

koigirl

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2011
Raleigh, NC
My first iPhone was the 4, then I upgraded to 4S for the improved antenna and camera. I also bought the 5, this time without contract since I wasn't upgrade-eligible, simply for LTE and the larger screen. I don't think I will upgrade to 5S as my phone has LTE, great camera, etc. unless they again increase the screen size. In fact, if iPhone 6 is not released with major innovations to iOS and a larger screen, I will be checking out the Windows and Android options the next time around. And I say that as a complete Apple fan and owner of MBA, iPad, Apple TV, Time Capsule, etc., etc. I've sold each previous model for top dollar via local Craigslist.

Darkhrse99

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2013
New Mexico
I've had every version. I usually sell my phone and have been lucky enough to be in my 2 year contract upgrade period so money out of pocket has been minimal. I still have the 4S and my contract wil be up in may, so I will either get a 5S or 5 this time around.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
I've owned every version since the original. Buy outright and use the money made from selling the previous one to eat up majority of the cost.

cvsangel

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2013
California
I'm a sucker :( I've had everything including the OG iPhone. I've never paid close to full price though. I've always either added a line or trolled Craigslist for one. I got an iPhone 3GS for $40 fully working and unlocked. iPhone 4S 32GB for $350 new. You just got to thrown in trades or negotiate :)

Cody21

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2012
Knoxville, TN
I've bought every version since the 3G. Got the 3G from a friend, bought the 3GS new on contract about a month after it came out, waited in line for the iPhone 4, purchased the 4S a couple of months after release and pre-ordered the iPhone 5 and got it on launch day. I plan pre-ordering the next iPhone, too.

chiefpavvy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2008
I have owned each iPhone from the 3G on. Despite the grumblings from the masses that each model is merely 'incremental' improvements I find them substantial. I just made the move to iPhone 5 and loving it!

The resale value of Apple products doesn't hurt in this game, either. Out of pocket is pretty reasonable if you do it right.

kikima

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2013
Richmond, VA
I have my mom and myself on a family plan, so I use one of the lines to upgrade every product cycle and I give her the model I had been using. So yeah, for the last few years I've been eligible for a subsidized upgrade on the release date.

dma550

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2009
CT
heh, not me, I skip as many as I can to max out the carrier freebies. Transfer them around the family to get the most current HW between everyone.,

toondw

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2009
Northumberland, UK
ive had every version, buy sim free and when i sell it it usually pays for at least 2/3 of the next model. or i give the 'old' one to the wife and sell her 2 year old model.....they hold value so well.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
Not a chance. I have the iPhone 4S, and it's the first iPhone I've ever owned. The iPhone 5 costs US$ 1,200 here in Brazil (the cheapest model), and I don't find it worth the price as it doesn't support local LTE networks. I'm definitely not getting one of these. The Samsung Galaxy SIII can be found for US$ 800, which is not cheap, but represents a much better value.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.