Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Actually we have all discussed those ads on this forum. And we all know full well along with the rest of the population that can put 2 and 2 together, who Samsung was mocking. So why don't you show me in those threads where you came out and professed how we all got it wrong, and that Samsung never mentioned Apple in those ads. You know, the same way you're telling me and everyone else Timmy never mentioned Samsung.

You mean the advert that showed a massive line waiting for a new device to be released which had a new dock connector, headphone jack on the bottom and a larger screen?

There's a tad more evidence to suggest they may have been talking about Apple with that ad :p

Still an assumption sure, but that is a little different. A fair comparison would be if Samsung's CEO said "some people use aluminium for their devices, but that bends easily." There is NO guarantee they're talking about Apple there and I would argue that.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Then there is the issue of display longevity because the organic element starts breaking down as soon as you power the device on the first time.

Then there is screen burn in

Then there is grainy pentile artifacts

Up until this moment, AMOLED is god awful compared to LCD. It's not ready for prime time. The GS3 display flat out sucks.

Screen burn in like the old plasmas?? iv never heard or seen this.
From what iv seen and used the colors are nice and rich, they tend to pop which can be unrealistic at times. The main issue i see is glare and brightness.

How long does an OLED display last after its on? if its like 2 years then it doesnt matter. The person would upgrade to something new most of the time.

Overall I prefer LCDs but i dont feel like OLEDs are crap.

adildacoolset

macrumors 65816
Keep trying. :)

Michael

I've seen that your technique so far has been pouring opinionated posts as defenses against facts.

Cook clearly criticized the technology. Not Samsung, Nokia, Motorola, etc. The fact is that all the companies I just mentioned use OLEDs, and they all share the disadvantages.

What makes you think that Cook was bashing Samsung when he was actually justifying his choice of not using LCD technology? When Steve Jobs bashed flash technology, you can't say that he was bashing android for using flash, as he was bashing the technology itself.

Same principles here. The fact that you said "keep trying" also gives me the impression that you're a troll.

----------

Screen burn in like the old plasmas?? iv never heard or seen this.
From what iv seen and used the colors are nice and rich, they tend to pop which can be unrealistic at times. The main issue i see is glare and brightness.

How long does an OLED display last after its on? if its like 2 years then it doesnt matter. The person would upgrade to something new most of the time.

Overall I prefer LCDs but i dont feel like OLEDs are crap.

The main thing that gets to me is how unrealistic the colors can look at times, and how bad the white can be.

I remember playing cut the rope on my iPhone 5, and it seemed pretty normal. Then shortly after I saw a family member play it on his S3. It looked so bad that it made me feel like killing myself :eek:

Ok it wasn't that bad, but you get the point.

Having accuracy is really important. Because that's the point of a display on a smartphone. As a mean of viewing your content. And you'd want it in the most natural, most realistic way possible. Almost as if you were seeing the content on real life.

That's at least what I expect from a display. And the OLED screen tech fails to achieve it. And it does look genuinely dreadful at times. And it does look really good at times, but very rarely in my experience.

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013
Samsung displays ARE awful.

I am a galaxy s III user and while this and the note 2 are the best phones on the market, the screens are the weak point.

Apple and HTC make the best screens period.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Same principles here. The fact that you said "keep trying" also gives me the impression that you're a troll.

I don't think he's a troll, he just likes Samsung / hates Apple so much that he can't look at this logically. He thinks we're being Apple fanboys just because we're not bashing Tim Cook for his comments.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
OLED IS awful. Here's why:

1. Extremely poor color reproduction
2. Extremely poor visibility under sunlight
3. Awful sub-pixel structure that results in grainy text even with fairly high pixel density (it's not a simple RGB per pixel type of thing)
4. Very low brightness
5. Poor viewing angles

Most of these (exception is 2) are the polar opposite of IPS/LCD characteristics. Why IPS is the best, OLED is just the worst. I saw a post above that stated not all OLED screens are made equal. That is perfectly true. But overall, LCD is much better. Forget the negligible power savings of OLED, it doesn't make enough difference for anyone to notice. Of LCD panels, IPS is the best. It's not surprising Apple uses the best (metal, glass, IPS, etc.) while Samsung uses the worst (crappy/creaky/cheap plastic, OLED, etc.).

----------

Samsung displays ARE awful.

I am a galaxy s III user and while this and the note 2 are the best phones on the market, the screens are the weak point.

Apple and HTC make the best screens period.

Neither Apple or HTC actually make screens. :D

But the display panels used on their smartphones are the best on the market.

lbhskier37

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2011
The color accuracy is naive. Samsung intentionally chose a vibrant color profile because.... wait for it... they felt more people than not like that. I am one of them. But if I didn't it is trivial to make my display look as pale and drab as an iPhone. :p

Michael

Big fan of Sunny D and Nicki Minaj too I bet. I don't like my beverages or music pale and drab like reality either. ;)

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Then there is the issue of display longevity because the organic element starts breaking down as soon as you power the device on the first time.

Then there is screen burn in

Then there is grainy pentile artifacts

Up until this moment, AMOLED is god awful compared to LCD. It's not ready for prime time. The GS3 display flat out sucks.

OMG you so right!! I still see angry birds while browsing the net. And playing video is like wacthing PBS from an antenna.

Seriously, I have experienced absolutely none of what your speaking of on my GS3. Not ready for prime time? It already prime time, with amazing reviews and satisfied customers.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Actually we have all discussed those ads on this forum. And we all know full well along with the rest of the population that can put 2 and 2 together, who Samsung was mocking. So why don't you show me in those threads where you came out and professed how we all got it wrong, and that Samsung never mentioned Apple in those ads. You know, the same way you're telling me and everyone else Timmy never mentioned Samsung.
Btw, your resorting to insults shows your inability to stand on your points. Case closed.

This,

Just reading the thread title I knew he took a stab at Samsung. Do you think that Apple is concerned with Motorola or Nokia? No way. But even then someone could say he took a stab at a FEW manufactures which IMO is even lower then just one manufacture. That's the old "we're Apple we do it right everyone else got it wrong"....

The Samsung ads making fun of people standing in line. Well just like the above mentioned it would take a nitwit to not know who they are talking about. I saw lines at Verizon stores for the Galaxy Nexus on release day. Although its a safe bet Samsung wasnt referring to themselves.

I don't see what the problem is though. If I had a product that I felt was better then the competition I'd stand on the the rooftops and yell it. AND he does have some valid points.

Cliff notes : he's not inaccurate in what he's saying and it only makes sense to be a stab at Samsung (or worst case multiple manufactures).

knucklehead

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2003
They also specifically target Blackberry in their newer "Unicorn Apocalypse" ads.

They're .... mostly about Blackberry -- the "Unicorn Apocalypse" reference is pretty clearly a jab at Apple. And I'd say the security/business acceptance part is also partly aimed at Apple.

Not that I really care --- just an observation... :D

DanteMann

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2011
You mean the advert that showed a massive line waiting for a new device to be released which had a new dock connector, headphone jack on the bottom and a larger screen?

There's a tad more evidence to suggest they may have been talking about Apple with that ad :p

Still an assumption sure, but that is a little different. A fair comparison would be if Samsung's CEO said "some people use aluminium for their devices, but that bends easily." There is NO guarantee they're talking about Apple there and I would argue that.

Give it up. First you insultingly calling the guy a "winner" saying he's making straw-man arguments. When in actual fact, he's made a very strong points. Now you go on and now try to pull some more BS by saying "your assumptions" regarding these ads area a "little different." I see you really got the Apple Culture down to a T. It goes something like this.

- Insult or belittle something (In your case belittle someone for making assumptions, In Apple's case belittle 4 inch screens on mobile devices.)
- Then do that very thing yourself. (In your case, you make assumptions yourself. In Apple's case, they themselves make a 4 inch display.)
- Then explain how you doing the very thing you belittled others for doing is different because you did it differently. Meaning you did it the right way. (In your case, shamelessly explain how your assumptions were different. In Apple's case, shamelessly explain how their 4 inch screen is the perfect size.)

And your calling others "a real winner?" :rolleyes:

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Tim Cook calls Samsung’s OLED screens “awful”, is he right?

Give it up. First you insultingly calling the guy a "winner" saying he's making straw-man arguments. When in actual fact, he's made a very strong points. Now you go on and now try to pull some more BS by saying "your assumptions" regarding these ads area a "little different." I see you really got the Apple Culture down to a T. It goes something like this.

- Insult or belittle something (In your case belittle someone for making assumptions, In Apple's case belittle 4 inch screens on mobile devices.)
- Then do that very thing yourself. (In your case, you make assumptions yourself. In Apple's case, they themselves make a 4 inch display.)
- Then explain how you doing the very thing you belittled others for doing is different because you did it differently. Meaning you did it the right way. (In your case, shamelessly explain how your assumptions were different. In Apple's case, shamelessly explain how their 4 inch screen is the perfect size.)

What strong point did he make? I was present for the entire conversation but I didn't see one.

You're right that what I said is hypocritical. I said don't assume things and then said its fair to assume Samsung were talking about Apple in their ads. The difference is the weight of the evidence; Tim Cook said "some people like to use oled screens" - there are several major manufacturers that use oled screens and he could've been talking about any or none in particular.

The Samsung ads poked fun at three or four features just released in the latest iPhone. It is fairly obvious what they were poking fun at.

If you can't see the difference I give up.

KnightMan

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2012

That's what I told you to do with the first 3 words of my post. Glad you decided to comply.

Ohhhhh, double bad burn.
I vote these as the Top 2 Bad Burns of all MacRumors history. :p

ReanimationN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Australia
I'm not trying anything, just stating a FACT.

"Some people use OLED displays, the color saturation is awful."

Here we see him criticising a display type. He does not mention any company name, he just says "some people use OLED displays." He's not wrong; some people DO use OLED displays.

You're the one "trying" to make this into something it isn't, not me.

You're spot on. If Tim Cook had said "OLED screens are awful.. Especially on smartphones with 4.8" Pentile displays and those 5.5" dinner plates that feature extensive use of dandelions in their promotional material" then it would be more along the lines of Samsung's ads, where they make it very, very clear as to who they are referring to. As it is, yes Tim Cook could very well be, and most likely is, referring to Samsung, but there are other phones from other manufacturers that feature OLED displays. He's covering them all in that comment, not having a dig at Samsung alone, as Samsung has done with Apple in many of their recent ads.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
That's what I told you to do with the first 3 words of my post. Glad you decided to comply.

You can't see the difference then?

Tim Cook: I dislike OLED screens.

Samsung: I poke fun at phones with larger screens (at last), headphone jacks on the bottom and a brand new digital dock connector.

Even if Tim was talking about Samsung, he was subtle about it. Samsung are about as subtle as a bri...Galaxy Note in the face.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
I think anyone with an IQ above room temperature knew he was targeting Samsung. But OK.

Michael

I think anyone with an IQ above room temperature understands that Tim was talking about his dislike for OLED technology.

Anyone who thinks otherwise and is just a 5 year old boy who is overly sensitive to any possible criticism that might indirectly target their Samsung toy.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
You can't see the difference then?

Tim Cook: I dislike OLED screens.

Samsung: I poke fun at phones with larger screens (at last), headphone jacks on the bottom and a brand new digital dock connector.

Even if Tim was talking about Samsung, he was subtle about it. Samsung are about as subtle as a bri...Galaxy Note in the face.

And lets keep in mind it's not uncommon for Apple to reference certain technology trends and why they are, or aren't featured in Apple products.

In this case, OLED is the topic, and is not all about Samsung. LG has sold and invested heavily in AMOLED phones as well. And as was already said, AMOLED screens is featured in phones by Motorola, Nokia, Blackberry and even HTC.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
The main draw with LCD is the supposed ability to see the screen better in sunlight. Since getting the Nexus 4, I've learned that LCD or AMOLED, it makes no difference -- can see neither in the sun without boosting the brightness to nearly maximum.

My point is, I wouldn't mind going back to Amoled in the S4.

It is very hard for me to see my screen on my GS3 in the sunlight. Im not concerned about what Cook said. Apple has always had nice screens on their products and the retina display is nice. It just isnt the only nice display out there.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
I don't hate OLED screens. I think they are a good alternative to LCD.

The OLED screen on my Note 2 is better than many smartphone LCD screens. The LCD on the old iPhones before the retina screens were awful. Look good back in the day.

Right now I prefer the iPhone 4S/5 LCD screen over the Note 2 OLED screen. The reds/oranges on the Note 2 is so over-saturated, it makes my eye bleed. I can see how some might like it. It's like the over-saturated music videos we have today.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
It is very hard for me to see my screen on my GS3 in the sunlight. Im not concerned about what Cook said. Apple has always had nice screens on their products and the retina display is nice. It just isnt the only nice display out there.

I don't anyone is saying that. Lots of praise has been heaped up the HTC One X. Same for the Nokia 920.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
Not sure if anyone has spent time with the Note II and its current OLED display but they're pretty amazing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.