Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

odinsride

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 11, 2007
So I just got my brand new Apple TV 3 from the UPS guy. Unboxed it and hooked it up, got the latest software updates and everything. I signed into my iTunes account with no problem on the ATV.

When I go to create a home share on iTunes 11 on my Mac Pro, I'm getting an error message:

Home Sharing could not be activated because an error occurred (5599).

I have tried resetting my Apple ID password, logging out of the iTunes store on iTunes and the ATV, and closing/re-opening iTunes, without any luck.

Has anyone else had this problem? Could this be due to problems with Apple's servers currently?

iancheyne

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2010
Colleyville, TX
Streaming issues

I am having problems with streaming ever since I installed iTunes 11. Part way through a movie it drops off line and won't re-connect until I close iTunes on my Mac and re-open it.

Not happy.

odinsride

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 11, 2007
Well, it's magically working now. Not sure what happened. :confused:

saxman211

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2010
Did you call apple? I'm on the phone with them now and they're telling me that I'm the only person that has reported it, almost as if to say I'm the only one with the problem.... The more people that report this problem, the faster it'll get fixed...... Make sure you get a case number.. I'm wondering if this wont be a class action suit in the future...

shadow puppet

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2012
4th padded cell on the right
To me it speaks volumes when you take one in for service while still under warranty & the tech immediately directs you to pick a new one out without attempting to service the old one. I was also told NOT to upgrade the new unit. He said it wasn't even worth explaining what the problems are all about.

There have been far too many threads posted about the problems. At some point, you would hope Apple would step up to the plate and own the issues with the software and also some of the units themselves.

My new one thus far works flawlessly. I have no clue how long it will last but my warranty is for 2 years. A lot of peops are going to be really PO'd if they end up with a $100 paper weight.

Just my 2 duccat's worth.

skveezer

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2012
I have 4 latest Apple TV's

All upgraded and all connected wirelessly, and completely functional. Never had any problems.

lsvtecjohn3

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2008
I am having problems with streaming ever since I installed iTunes 11. Part way through a movie it drops off line and won't re-connect until I close iTunes on my Mac and re-open it.

Not happy.

I'm having the same drop problem with my Apple TV 2 in the bedroom. My Apple TV 3 works fine in the living room. I started having these problems when I upgraded to iTunes 11. I have to turn off home sharing and then turn it back on.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007

Not happy.

I've had this since iTunes 11. Very very annoying, worked perfectly with last iTunes and my ATV3. May roll back.

Wavell

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2007
Essex, UK
I've had this since iTunes 11. Very very annoying, worked perfectly with last iTunes and my ATV3. May roll back.

yep same here. There are quite a few discussions about it on the apple support forums. It's pretty much rendered my iTunes media server useless with the state it's in at this point in time. I made a full backup before I upgraded, so I might just revert to that.

What really irks me about all of this though, is how poor must Apple QA be for something as obvious as this to slip through the net. Either that or they're just prioritising release dates over everything else. :mad:

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
Yeah, the first time I put it down to some random glitch, but it's been three or 4 times now. It's over a wired network, no way is it down to my setup. Gah, it's so annoying.

Fairly new to AppleTV, had it for a couple of months. I've recently moved house and setup a fantastic network with ethernet ports subtly placed all over the house. Took it as an opportunity to ditch my old ways, locally stored video on a 1tb PS3. It's worked magnificently...until now.

Edit: rolled back to 10.7. Fairly simple for me as its an old mbp that runs iTunes purely for TV shows etc. All my podcasts/apps/iPhone/iPad related stuff is synced to my much newer MBA.

Edit 2: GAH! Updated ATV3 won't connect to older version of iTunes. What a ****ing shambles. Back to my PS3 and locally stored video for me then. Gah

Last edited:

Wavell

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2007
Essex, UK
Edit 2: GAH! Updated ATV3 won't connect to older version of iTunes. What a ****ing shambles. Back to my PS3 and locally stored video for me then. Gah

I feel your pain ! :(

If apple want to be taken even remotely seriously, then they're going to really have to show ATV / iTunes interaction some love. Maybe if enough people complain to them about it, they may just listen (or not)..

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
Yeah, its extremely frustrating.

Despite being a bit of a nerd, I swore by the old fashioned route of locally stored media for a long time. Partly cos my old house had a very flakey network, partly because - this may be just bad luck - whenever I've been around at others houses there's always been problems with their Boxee/AppleTV etc forcing server reboots etc. Been very satisfied with my ATV lately, but I can't believe I'm back to using my PS3 and its huge hdd again. Hopefull this'll be fixed soon.

Wavell

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2007
Essex, UK
it's pretty embarrassing for me - I should be an Apple salesman really as quite a few friends of mine have gone out and bought ATVs, laptops etc after seeing what I have running here and me giving them the "it just works" talk.

shadow puppet

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2012
4th padded cell on the right
Are any of you having problems still under warranty? I've seen several posts where if under warranty, they just replaced the unit. That's what happened to me. The new one (knock wood), is working flawlessly. I think it's a combo of problems from software to some units for some reason, bugging out after updates.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
Mines only a couple of months old so I've probably got 9 months left on mine (UK). I'll give it a bit, see if a patch resolves it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.