Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
No just bought it waste of 1.99$ :( not good with apps that i need to keep working on background :(

Again, WHAT APPS? You aren't giving us the information we need to help you. It seems like you're just being pigheaded about Backgrounder being the only possible way to do what you want to do.

----------

The tweak your all looking for is InfinityTask. It just popped up on Cydia last night.

Tht should work for the Dropbox auto-upload, but the OP has never told us what he wants to do, so we can't know whether InfinityTask would help.

Luis2004

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2012
If you don't tell us which freaking apps you're trying to keep running, this thread is absolutely useless.

the-7-best-captain-picard-memes.jpg

diesssel

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2013
Here is the App I want to keep awake

Hello, I think I need sth like the BackGrounder too..

I am using an app, called 'Photosmith'.
It basically syncs the ipad photos with the photos in Adobe Lightroom.
The synching process, if I have for example 2000 photos to sync, takes too long.
All this time, the Photosmith App Has to be open, AND in the foreground.
This means, that if I hit the HOME button on my IPAD, the Photosmith app
goes on the background, and the syncing stops.

What I need, is a tweak that will not 'shut down' Photosmith app when i hit the Home button, to open another app while syncing, for example to browse the web with Safari...

This tweak would preferably let the Photosmith app keep running even if the Ipads' screen goes to sleep.

petepango

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2013
I need it to keep a cydia app alive in the background. The cydia app is called isynergyclient, it enables you to control your iphone from your computer's keyboard and mouse over the LAN, when it is docked for example. I use it all the time, works much better than having to have a second bluetooth keyboard for typing, and the mouse input is faster as well. Without backgrounder, the isynergyclient app is disabled in the background. I realize that should not be how this app works, but it does, which is sometimes the case with beta apps like this. I can imagine there being many apps like this where backgrounder is required because the default apple background functionality is not adequate, especially for jailbreak apps. I hope someone can help with this problem, so far all I see are smart-aleck replies saying "you shouldn't need to do that", please spare us your infinite wisdom if that is your only contribution to this forum at this point.

dhy8386

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
I hope someone can help with this problem, so far all I see are smart-aleck replies saying "you shouldn't need to do that", please spare us your infinite wisdom if that is your only contribution to this forum at this point.

Use Veency instead. Saurik makes it and it stays open all the time. Even when the phone is locked and off. Also have use of gestures. That will help you until someone makes the app your asking for.

----------

Hello, I think I need sth like the BackGrounder too..

I am using an app, called 'Photosmith'.
It basically syncs the ipad photos with the photos in Adobe Lightroom.
The synching process, if I have for example 2000 photos to sync, takes too long.
All this time, the Photosmith App Has to be open, AND in the foreground.
This means, that if I hit the HOME button on my IPAD, the Photosmith app
goes on the background, and the syncing stops.

What I need, is a tweak that will not 'shut down' Photosmith app when i hit the Home button, to open another app while syncing, for example to browse the web with Safari...

This tweak would preferably let the Photosmith app keep running even if the Ipads' screen goes to sleep.

Unfortunately the app developer is not using the APIs for background tasking and thus InfinityTask cannot keep it open. Not sure why the Dev would not have built this in. May also try emailing them to see if its a feature they plan on adding. Could end up being faster to get what you want.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Unfortunately the app developer is not using the APIs for background tasking and thus InfinityTask cannot keep it open. Not sure why the Dev would not have built this in. May also try emailing them to see if its a feature they plan on adding. Could end up being faster to get what you want.

Asking the dev to update their apps only works if they are still actively supporting them. There are many apps, both app store and jailbreak, that are no longer supported but will still be useful if they could run in background. I have no idea what it take for Backgrounder to be updated to run under iOS 6, or even if it is possible at all, but if someone can do it, I, for one, would find that useful.

Tshindon

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2013
I'm also trying to get something like backgrounder working. I found this thread with a Google search.

I use backgrounder on my old iPod with Simpsons tapped out to keep the game running while I sneak over to the settings app to advance the calendar. ( I know I'm lame, that's not the point!). I want to use this trick on my iPad and iPhone (iOS 6.1, evasi0n) any ideas of an app that can do this?

ProRege

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2012
Ottawa
I'm looking for an alternative as well to force games like the Simpsons tapped out to stay online when I exit it, in order to change the date and trick it.

davewoe

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2013
:eek:

I'd love to know if/when a true "backgrounder" style app will be available. I don't mind spending $2 on it... just as long as it actually works for the purpose. Much as "bad-hit" wanted to support an App, if someone would take on the open source file for Backgrounder and complete it, then maybe have a small $1 or $2 fee we'd all pay it.

In the meantime.... the search continues.:eek::eek::eek:

((I was using backgrounder for putting a game into the background, and keeping it running so I could continue with other tasks, then switching back to it without it re-setting and going through it's boot sequence. It's a pain in the ass, and I would love to avoid this))

No just bought it waste of 1.99$ :( not good with apps that i need to keep working on background :(

dhy8386

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
Ive got a partial answer for you. Check out iFunBox. Lets you alter the multitasking settings for each app. You want to Allow Background or Always Background for those apps you that you want to behave accordingly. For instance, I have a game that when you close out, always starts at the beginning. When I set it to Allow Background, i can close out and then come back in and it picks up where it left off.

Caveat is I am not sure changing the setting works for every app and I think depending on how the app is built, it will react differently. For example, if I set my Gmail app to Always background but close out of it, it will not refresh in the background. You still have to go into it and then it pulls the email. Also, video apps do not seem to work - meaning you cant keep the audio from a video app like Slingplayer running let alone the video.

But this def works and combined with InfinityTask may work nicely.

See article here. Test away.

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2013/01/24/ifunbox-powersavingmode/#disqus_thread

PS. I think this can only be done on windows version - at least i could only do it that way.

Last edited:

davewoe

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2013
unfortunately it didn't work for the game/apps that I needed. I Backgrounder on my old phone, and my old iPad, and now I'm wishing I never upgraded them. It was exactly what I needed, and unfortunately as cool as this App is, this isn't really what I need. :(

Ive got a partial answer for you. Check out iFunBox. Lets you alter the multitasking settings for each app. You want to Allow Background or Always Background for those apps you that you want to behave accordingly. For instance, I have a game that when you close out, always starts at the beginning. When I set it to Allow Background, i can close out and then come back in and it picks up where it left off.

Caveat is I am not sure changing the setting works for every app and I think depending on how the app is built, it will react differently. For example, if I set my Gmail app to Always background but close out of it, it will not refresh in the background. You still have to go into it and then it pulls the email. Also, video apps do not seem to work - meaning you cant keep the audio from a video app like Slingplayer running let alone the video.

But this def works and combined with InfinityTask may work nicely.

See article here. Test away.

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2013/01/24/ifunbox-powersavingmode/#disqus_thread

PS. I think this can only be done on windows version - at least i could only do it that way.

Sparky9292

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2004
Can you give us a specific example? So far nothing you've said makes sense. Music apps can run indefinitely integrate background using the iPhone's default multitasking frameworks, and games can be paused and returned to without interruption.

Just what applications are you having trouble with?

iTransmission will close and stop if you switch to another app. Backgrounder works great to keep torrents downloading even if you are using other apps.

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
Check Flex out, maybe you can stop the process of closing the app in the background.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
iTransmission will close and stop if you switch to another app. Backgrounder works great to keep torrents downloading even if you are using other apps.

The solution to that is to contact ioshomebrew and ask them to add optional support for native multitasking. They've just released iTransmission 3, so they're clearly in active development.

petepango

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2013
Use Veency instead. Saurik makes it and it stays open all the time. Even when the phone is locked and off. Also have use of gestures. That will help you until someone makes the app your asking for.

I have used Veency + Win2VNC for the past 2 years, and it gets me what I need, but since isynergyclient was just updated with keyboard support, I wanted to switch to it since win2vnc is a bit buggy.

----------

Also, WIN2VNC does not support auto reconnect, so when the phone is taken off usb (I run the vnc connection through usbmux), win2vnc shuts down and I have to restart win2vnc the next time dock the phone. I scripted a work around, but it is messy. isynergyclient would be easier

Nathlynn22

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2012
Umm Ifile won't play music in the background now that would be good alot of music apps don't run in background so backgrounder was perfect dopey

Wheato2415

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2013
Hi, im also looking for something simular to work with the simpsons tapped out annoying to have to keep rebooting the game and wait 5 mins for it to load up every time any idea anyone thanks

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
Yup. Infinitytask works well. I especially like it for downloading my podcasts.

I combine this with iScheduler and its a great way to improve on multi tasking.

When I heard about this tweak last week or whenever it was, I was really intrigued. I also think r-plus makes some awesome Cydia packages. What's your overall impression on this tweak? How is it on battery life? I assume it has a noticeable hit since apps could run a lot longer than normal in the background. Then again, if I'm running something for a long time in the background odds are that before this tweak came out I would be doing the exact same thing except I'd have my screen on so my app wouldn't stop doing what I wanted it to do. So looking at it this way, one could argue it is either equal battery impact or slightly less because the screen is turned off.

Anyways, I am just looking for some user feedback on this tweak since I can't find any reviews on it.

dhy8386

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
When I heard about this tweak last week or whenever it was, I was really intrigued. I also think r-plus makes some awesome Cydia packages. What's your overall impression on this tweak? How is it on battery life? I assume it has a noticeable hit since apps could run a lot longer than normal in the background. Then again, if I'm running something for a long time in the background odds are that before this tweak came out I would be doing the exact same thing except I'd have my screen on so my app wouldn't stop doing what I wanted it to do. So looking at it this way, one could argue it is either equal battery impact or slightly less because the screen is turned off.

Anyways, I am just looking for some user feedback on this tweak since I can't find any reviews on it.

I hear you. Side note shouldnt Cydia add reviews section?

I have only tested one or twice to make sure it works and it does. The phone is supposed to still be able to sleep while the tasks are performing. Same behavior as before. Seems to work fine. I honestly haven't noticed any material impact to my battery. And reality is, how many processes do you run that bump up against the 10 min limit? For me it was only podcasts downloads and camera uploads.

If you want me to test something for you, assuming its a free app and i dont have it, happy to do it.

danielranea

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2013
I also need an app similar to Backgrounder for iTransmission. As soon as you change to another app, all downloads stop, so it's impossible to download anything!

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Umm Ifile won't play music in the background now that would be good alot of music apps don't run in background so backgrounder was perfect dopey

What music formats do you want to play back? Most AppStore players can play back in background. Some of the better ones are, audio support-wise, OPlayer, BUZZ Player and GoodPlayer. See my posts at https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1542079/ for more info if interested.

----------

I'll very thoroughly test InfinityTask as I too need it to keep my GPS / compass loggers alivein the background, even for hours. I'll report back.

PatrickNL

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2012
If anyone could get the "original" Backgrounder to work on iOS6.1 I would be ever so grateful!!

I've been using it mainly with a chat app.
Whenever I switch from the app to another it automatically logs off and closes all current conversations. People I had been talking to now think I had simply left them... Switching back to the app requires me to log on again and search for the people I was talking to manually... Very annoying! ;-)

I tried RemoveBackground, but that didn't do the trick like Backgrounder did, because as soon as the chat app loses focus, it logs off :-(

ik0221

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2013
Instead of actually having backgrounder run as an app like it does now, I wonder if the same code used to background apps in "forced" mode can be applied in an entirely different tweak with a simple Activator action to toggle on/off... Basically what I'm proposing is a VERY stripped down version of Backgrounder.

The source is available at github.com/ashikase/Backgrounder

BTW, I've been digging through the code to see if I could make it work myself, but I just don't know enough. (And I'd rather not brick my phone :eek:) BUT, if a dev or hacker can figure out how to make this happen I would not only be eternally grateful, but I'd also be willing to help in any way I can.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.