Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrisrosemusic1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
Northamptonshire, England
I've ordered my refurbished retina 13" (yay) but they only had the 128GB option available.. Initially I didn't think this would be a problem as I've cut down so much over the years with RAW audio files etc and now just mainly use my current MBP as an iTunes/work/Office kinda thing rather than the DJ whore and jukebox that my other macs and this have been over time.

However, after cleaning out the junk today I still have 150GB in use - I currently use Time Machine as a weekly back up and was kinda hoping just to clone this over to the retina one on Monday, but obviously, as it stands there's just too much space being used.

I looked at the Nifty drive + micro SD for an on board storage solution for iTunes (64GB card in at all times) which would be a great way to have more space, but they are out of stock..

What do you guys do? Should I just cancel using TM and back up all of the files individually, stick my frequent applications etc on the new SSD and have my WD drive with me for iPhoto (that's 11GB on its own)?

Don't want to spend any more money if I don't need to and I am excited about everything else the rMBP will offer me.

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
I actually have my library plus things that are not mandatory on a time capsule, works for me and only get minor problems the random day when i sync my music with ipod etc cause it say cant find the library folder but if you get that just play any track and point the right direction.

chrisrosemusic1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
I actually have my library plus things that are not mandatory on a time capsule, works for me and only get minor problems the random day when i sync my music with ipod etc cause it say cant find the library folder but if you get that just play any track and point the right direction.

This would be a decent solution but at £250 I'd rather pay the extra and get a Mac Mini lol.

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
I'm 29 and left education a loooonggg time ago. I will see how I get on initially - still have that 14 day period if it immediately becomes a problem. Thing is, to go 256GB new would be nearly an extra £350 which is insane.

Use the education discount anyway. Should have got a base 15" for barely much more lol

chrisrosemusic1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
Use the education discount anyway. Should have got a base 15" for barely much more lol

Actually, even if I select 'school' discount, the 256GB rMBP is £1372, which is still £213 more than the refurbished 128 I bought yesterday. And there's none of those left on the store now either way.

Gonna have to suck it up and put all my **** on an external that isn't used regularly then!

chrise2

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
I got a 64 GB USB 3 Memory stick that I use for a bit of extra storage. There's also an SD slot and could could get an SD card and just leave it in all the time. I hear it sticks out a bit though so you'd have to be careful.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Use a program like Disk Inventory X to find out what types of files are taking up space. Who knows, you might have a lot of junk files you can delete. Then archive things you don't need frequently to external drives.

Semiopaque

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2008
I've been running an external WD My Passport 2TB that holds my iPhoto library (38GB), iMovie (55GB), miscellaneous documents (14GB), and iTunes data (1.4 TB of music, books, movies). I haven't had any issues. After reading your post, I decided to move over my iTunes apps as well (which I had not realized had grown so large).

My internal drive is at about 140 GB now; most of it is apps (Logic Pro takes up a decent amount on there at the moment; also use MS Office a lot but that's not too large). I could fairly easily drop another 8-10 GB of games and other apps I don't really use. My email stash is at around 9 GB and that could be trimmed up quite a bit I'm sure. I could deal with iTunes artwork differently and trim some GBs too, I believe.

I also have WoW installed - God forbid my GF wants me to play with her and I have to download it - so that stays and it's huge - like 20 or 25 GB, I think. KOTOR stays at 5GB or whatever it is and several other favorite apps - which kind of (finally?) brings me to my point.

This depends almost entirely on what you use. If most of your storage is filled with data like photos, iTunes, movies, etc. I would definitely move all that to a secondary storage device and setup some sort of incremental backup of that drive in addition to something like TimeMachine on your internal drive.

If you have a lot of programs and such that you just have to run from the main internal drive or want to run Windows or another OS in addition to OS X, you might want a bigger drive.

I have a 240GB internal in my MBP now, but I could probably get away with a 128 if I kept a cleaner house.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.