Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

powaking

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2008
I think it would be easier if you could in some way say all of these IDs are family related but each user can still have their own ID this way you can share apps/music/etc with who ever is in your list of family IDs.

Mr Lizard

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2006
London, UK
So does this mean...

I can have my own Apple ID
My partner can have her own Apple ID

We can both use our own personal Apple IDs to purchase from iTunes

and yet...

We can both enter the same Apple ID for Home Sharing, and use that to stream both libraries to the Apple TV 2?

:D:eek::D

frunkis54

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2009
like i've said before you will run into problems with APPS. if you install an app from someone else's apple id and an update comes out you will not be able to update it on your iPhone unless you know the family members password until you go home and have that family member update and you resync.

DirtySocks85

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2009
Wichita, KS
like i've said before you will run into problems with APPS. if you install an app from someone else's apple id and an update comes out you will not be able to update it on your iPhone unless you know the family members password until you go home and have that family member update and you resync.

Exactly, the thing that seems to be missed here is that updates are a big pain in the ass no matter how you slice it. I suppose you could go get the updated version of the app via home sharing instead of through the app store. My wife and I have our own Apple IDs, but we each tend to buy our own apps, from time to time we want the same game or other app and I usually install it on her iPod touch via my Apple ID, and then just put in my password when it needs an update (I know it's weird that I don't even share my passwords with my wife, but I have a long history of not sharing them with anyone ever, and it's a hard habit to break).

phonelover01

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2012
Hi all,

Sorry to bump an old thread.

I just had a question. Does anybody know (or know where I can find) the guidelines for home sharing? Does Apple actually intend you to share content with your whole family or is home sharing strictly for your own use (i.e. you're only supposed to use it between say your MAC and your Apple TV)?

The reason I ask is, content especially music purchased in iTunes contains personal watermarks. If you shared it with a significant other or your son-in-law, and that person chose to spread it wider, you could be held responsible.

What do you think?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.