Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

guuguus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2012
Hey folks,

I received earlier this week my iMac, and i noticed a slight yellow cast towards the bottom. The top tier is fine, but as you go down, it becomes more and more yellow.

I wanted to show you to help me decide if I need to go and get it checked by the apple retailer.
I called Apple and they told me I needed to get my imac checked before any action are taken...

Same image with lower exposure, it becomes very clear that the bottom bar is yellowish...

The thing is that I only have a apple retailer near me, and I fear that it will take FOREVER to get a replacement. I don't have a laptop and I really need a computer atm...
Is there such thing as a period where it's brand new and needs to warm up or smthg ? Like if i put it to max brightness during hours it could fix the problem ?

Thanks.

Last edited:

AngelGuy7

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2006
New York
Hey folks,

I received earlier this week my iMac, and i noticed a slight yellow cast towards the bottom. The top tier is fine, but as you go down, it becomes more and more yellow.

I wanted to show you to help me decide if I need to go and get it checked by the apple retailer.
I called Apple and they told me I needed to get my imac checked before any action are taken...

[url=http://s7.postimage.org/gbbiduaxj/DSC3309.jpg]Image[/url]

Same image with lower exposure, it becomes very clear that the bottom bar is yellowish...
[url=http://s7.postimage.org/5lt87u9qv/DSC3309_2.jpg]Image[/url]

The thing is that I only have a apple retailer near me, and I fear that it will take FOREVER to get a replacement. I don't have a laptop and I really need a computer atm...
Is there such thing as a period where it's brand new and needs to warm up or smthg ? Like if i put it to max brightness during hours it could fix the problem ?

Thanks.

I had the exact same issue with my first 2012 iMac. I called up the online Apple Store and they sent me a replacement. I received the replacement in about a week. The yellowing was gone with that unit but I had image persistence and a clicking \ popping sound so I had that replaced. My 2nd replacement has more issues display issues so I'm now getting my 3rd replacement.

I was also told that the retail stores can now change the displays in a 3-5 day timeframe. I'm not sure if the yellowing goes away after some period. For me it never did. If you're still in the return period I would demand a replacement.

guuguus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2012
God damn... I don't wanna get through 3 replacement or more to have a normal iMac! I don't know if it's a risk worth taking :/

crows

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2012
my iMac also had the yellowing they changed the display at the store and the second display had the same yellowing so now they will give me a new one, but seriously do not settle for a yellow screen get it fixed or replaced.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
A very slight difference between the bottom half of the display and the top is, unfortunately, expected. However, it can/should be almost unnoticeable. My first 2012 iMac had a reasonably noticeable yellow tint to the bottom half. The one I have now you'd have to have eagle eyes to notice.

guuguus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2012
And what do you think of mine? would you call it acceptable?

After a few days I managed to forget about it, but the fact that it's not perfect sucks..

crows

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2012

After a few days I managed to forget about it, but the fact that it's not perfect sucks..

if it was mine I would take it back, it will bother me, colors will look different on the top of the monitor. It even bothered me while reading mac rumors lol, the colors just look different on the top of the screen compared to the bottom.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle

I think your second picture isn't ideal. You may want to try a screen calibration, which definitely adjusts the colors somewhat. But if it bothers you a lot, exchange it. You can definitely do better.

guuguus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2012
I think your second picture isn't ideal. You may want to try a screen calibration, which definitely adjusts the colors somewhat. But if it bothers you a lot, exchange it. You can definitely do better.

I reduced exposure on the second picture on purpose to show the yellow cast.

I will go to the retailer tomorrow and see.. I pray god that it will be quick, i only have a samsung netbook, not even 1/4 the screen of my imac... F me

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I reduced exposure on the second picture on purpose to show the yellow cast.

I will go to the retailer tomorrow and see.. I pray god that it will be quick, i only have a samsung netbook, not even 1/4 the screen of my imac... F me

I meant the yellow isn't ideal. Not your photo-taking skills. :)

I can definitely see that, and if it's bothersome to you, definitely get it taken care of.

Mac32

Suspended
Nov 20, 2010
Just looking at the screen from an angle will give a slight yellow tint. Have you tried looking at the bottom half of the screen from a direct 90 degree angle?

Last edited:

guuguus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2012
It's barely noticeable.. it disappear when you turn the display upwards, and gets worse downwards if you see what i mean.

I went to the apple retailer and i was shocked to see that their imac early 2012 was REALLY yellow, like ridiculous compared to the late 2012 21" that was next to it..

I had a look at their new 21" and spotted the same slight yellow cast towards the bottom.

The guy had a look at mine and at first didn't notice it, and told me that the guarantee wouldn't work for that little thing.

Guess I have to live with it, it's really not a big deal, it's easily forgettable.

In day to day use you don't notice it until you really look for it in certain siuations..

ssdaytona

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2011
there definitely a difference. I have a 2011 27" that is perfect and decided not to upgrade because of the yellow tint.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Just looking at the screen from an angle will give a slight yellow tint. Have you tried looking at the bottom half of the screen from a direct 90 degree angle?

This. There's no question the viewing angles are to blame a great deal here. If I squat down in my chair and view the bottom part of the screen like that, 90% of the yellow tint disappears. It's a shame, really.

skasol

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2007
I seem to have the same yellow tint on my newly purchased iMac 2013. I followed the link to find the gray bars but it seems the file is no longer listed. I opened up a finder window as well as Safari and I am able to see a yellowish tint half way down the screen, the top has a cleaner whiter color and it gets yellow as I look down. is there another way for me to test this just to make sure I have the yellow tint? thank you in advance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.