Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

carl0sian

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2011
2011 27" quad core 3.4 ghz i7 iMac still popping up occasionally at $1789 refurbished. I think that's a better deal!

plunar

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2003
am i really the only person that is noticing something.... "off".. about the image of the 27" model posted?

tazinlwfl

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
Florida
I have one week left until I get my 27" iMac... I'm constantly checking the status hoping it would come early (like my 15" rMBP)...

macnerd93

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2009
United Kingdom
Obviously the jump from 5400rpm to SSD is huge but is the jump from 5400 to 7200 that big? I've always used a 5400rpm drive but maybe I've been missing out.

There is quite a huge difference between a 5400 RPM 2.5'' laptop drive and a 3.5'' 7200RPM desktop drive. The performance difference, although not as substantial as a SSD. Stuff like Photo editing and video recording especially in HD, is often quite slow and choppy on these slower drives. I had a 5400 drive in my MacBook Pro, upgraded to a Western Digital Scorpio black, the performance difference was substantial.

I also think its quite poor that a computer starting at £1099, doesn't even come with a decent hard drive, its not 2005 anymore. This was one of the many reasons I didn't buy a new iMac and a day after the announcement I bought the previous gen. If I'd have bought the new one to get it with the stuff I wanted, Apple Care, Superdrive, and Firewire it would have cost me almost £1,328. I got the previous gen brand new from stormfront for £978 with Apple care thrown in. The money I saved went towards 32GB RAM for it.

jasimon9

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2009
Amazon and Best Buy too

I noticed that the article said Amazon had some 27 inch in stock. I also noticed that Best Buy has some 27 inch in stock, but the $1999 model. One day shipping.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-02-16 at 1.44.46 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-02-16 at 1.44.46 AM.png
    77 KB · Views: 112

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
Right now I could not be happier with my new 27" iMac, its fast, quite and cool (looking and running) From the front it feels like it should be thicker but it only when you touch the edge it you remember its so thin on the edge.

Mind you I did upgrade from a 2005 G5 tower :)

ETA - I was down town other day and still amazed at the lack of new 27" iMac's as display models, I guess they point at the 21" and say it's like that but bigger :D

koban4max

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2011
Haha, so am I, but I consider the people (at least me) that frequent tech forums to not be of the "normal everyday" type in terms of computer-buying consumers. For example, I don't read nor post on car forums and when I make my next car purchase I won't be lurking forums. I never have had to and I've always chosen a good quality car by means of other types of research. Once you go on a forum you get locked into people crying and nitpicking over a scratch that they MAY have done on their own but didn't realize it. Then they tell the forums that the manufacturer sends out faulty merchandize all scratched up. Takes the fun out of buying anything these days. Go figure. ;)
I can't disagree with this. you gotta do your own research. More power to you. ;)

nelmat

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Looked at the new beautifully thin iMacs for my next computer for photography work in Lightroom. But I don't like the fact they only go up to an i5. I think I've settled on the base model MacBook Pro with Retina Display 15" with 16GB of RAM. Very powerful laptop...I think I'd like to move away from a fixed desktop setup. I can always get a Cinema Display if I needed extra screen estate.

No, you can go to i7... Not sure how you missed that...

Cavepainter

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2010
Los Angeles
I just love ridiculous posts like this. Gotta love MR for thinking they are Apple's only customers. :rolleyes:. Did it ever occur to anyone here that the majority of Apple's customers, maybe, just maybe, are normal everyday people that aren't geeks, they don't give a rats butt about a 5400rpm drive or the GPU, or the SSD vs. the Fusion drive or the fact that screen is molded together? PUULLEESE! Get over yourselves. Maybe these people decided to upgrade to the 27". Oh yeah, that's a thought? :p. I'll bet more people that don't frequent here telling of all their returns/exchanges are getting work done on their iMacs. ;)

Of course. Apple is literally banking on those very customers. Thats why they worked so hard to made the imacs thinner. Form sells as much as function.

Please, take my money.

Never takes more than a few minutes for the Believers to stone to death anyone who dares to want anything at all from one of the most profitable companies in the world. What exactly are you arguing for, anyway? LESS for your money?

Unbelievable- and it shows up in thread after thread after thread on here.

sofila

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2006
Ramtop Mountains
Maybe these people decided to upgrade to the 27". Oh yeah, that's a thought? :p.
So I give back a perfectly working computer that I need for my ordinary home-stuff (You just said I'm not a geek, I can't tell differences between blah blah blah) just to wait another couple of months to have a bigger one?

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
Since they started welding things shut, I won't be buying another iMac.

Exactly!

Same for MBP's.

While I do not tinker around in my machines, I do want the basics to be accessible.

Basics like memory and hard drives should always be user upgradeable.
I can do without the superdrive. Haven't put a CD/DVD in in ages.

Memory and HD upgrades enable us to stretch the lives of our computers, outwait the next development etc.

Macs hold up well in use and I don't always need the latest.

If Apple goes the path of not even offering one machine with memory and HD access many users will have to leave.

It is just cheaper to buy memory and swap HD's.

For those who say buy built to order: It still makes all choices final and we do not know how much memory and HD space we need in the future.

Already it has become obvious that 64 GB in an iPad or iPhone is not enough.

Same will happen to MBP's etc.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
I switched up from a 5400 to a 7200 and didn't notice anything. If anything, my MBP got slower :eek:

Likely that Apple's drivers detected that you had tampered with the machine. Remember that Apple closely integrates their hardware and software. If you start sticking in unapproved hardware willy-nilly, bad things happen. You are always much better off with what Apple gives you than some unreliable third-party hardware.

It always cracks me up when people complain about Apple's prices, buy some el-cheapo piece of crap instead, and then complain. You get what you pay for, people!

malexandria

Suspended
Mar 25, 2009
24 Inch iMac

I wish Apple would release a 24 incher. I think the 21 inch is too small and the 27 too "big."

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
A big part of the Apple computer experience is NOT getting caught up in specification figures that are really meaningless in real world applications. That's what Windows machine users do, argue about specs.

If that were the case I'd be typing this on a 2012 Mac Mini right now. But I couldn't buy one b/c it only has Intel graphics. I've been using Macs since 1988. To me the "experience" is not having an interface that gets in the way of my work. But in order to have a good experience my machines need to be able to keep up with software demands. So it's silly to say specs don't matter as a blanket statement.

scottsjack

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2010
Arizona
Obviously the jump from 5400rpm to SSD is huge but is the jump from 5400 to 7200 that big? I've always used a 5400rpm drive but maybe I've been missing out.

When I replaced the OEM 5400 RPM drives in my mini and MacBook Pro with WD 750GB Scorpio Black 7200 RPM drives I instantly noticed a difference. They feel more like desktop computers rather than laptop ones.

scottsjack

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2010
Arizona
Can you name some real world applications in which specification figures are really meaningless?

Why people buy Mac Pro :confused:

Exactly. Mac Pros are so useful. Need more hard drive space? No problem. Want Blu-ray? Easy to install. Have a need for lots of RAM? MP has you covered. Want to use a really good monitor? Ditto.

A Mac Pro is what can be referred to as "a real desktop computer". Most people do not need that kind of machine but for those who do the Mac Pro is Apple's only choice right now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.