Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
To you it is true, not every one. You don't speak for me or anyone else. There are no facts that have been verified by any credible source that states what you're saying.

Have a nice day.

The App Store is widely known to be superior, more apps, no duplicate apps, developers prefer iOS first. The graphics chip has been proven to be much better then the graphics chip in the S3, countless benchmarks have been tested on that part

Build quality is much better on the 4S (steel vs plastic lol)

The retina display on the 4S got a higher rating on Displaymate then the S3's screen. The rear camera is better on the 4S(go look at picture comparisons your self)

Im not just making these facts up, its widely known lmao if you dont bother to look up the claims then you cant say "its not true"

macMD

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2005
New York
Yes, even the 4S is superior to the GS3 in just about every way accept for the processor.

Taking the OS out of the equation, the GS3 is actually better in battery life, 4G LTE vs 3G only, swappable battery, expandable storage, processor, screen size better, the only spot the 4S gets a slight bump is in ppi, 306 on GS3 vs 326 on iP4S, but given the screen size if the GS3 was also 3.5" and maintained their 1280x720 well, it would embarrass the iP4S.

Now again this is removing OS out of the equation since we are looking at specs.

When it comes to OS decisions, then its open to interpretation.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Better app store, better screen quality, better rear camera, better build quality, longer software support, better graphics chip, more secure and stable platform...the list goes on.

Just saying...the S3 was found to have the same camera sensor as the 4S.

----------

Taking the OS out of the equation, the GS3 is actually better in battery life, 4G LTE vs 3G only, swappable battery, expandable storage, processor, screen size better, the only spot the 4S gets a slight bump is in ppi, 306 on GS3 vs 326 on iP4S, but given the screen size if the GS3 was also 3.5" and maintained their 1280x720 well, it would embarrass the iP4S.

Now again this is removing OS out of the equation since we are looking at specs.

These specs translate to different real world usage for everyone, especially battery life and speed. Just because it has better specs doesn't mean it's better than the 4S for everyone.

macMD

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2005
New York
Better app store, better screen quality, better rear camera, better build quality, longer software support, better graphics chip, more secure and stable platform...the list goes on.

Better camera, sorry, but they use the same Sony camera. Better build quality, I have never had any Android phone let alone a GS3 creak, crack or have any buttons (home button on iphone is known to FAIL) fail. More secure, well that just got proven to be wrong yet again, and the stable platform is open to interpretation.

----------

The App Store is widely known to be superior, more apps, no duplicate apps, developers prefer iOS first. The graphics chip has been proven to be much better then the graphics chip in the S3, countless benchmarks have been tested on that part

Build quality is much better on the 4S (steel vs plastic lol)

The retina display on the 4S got a higher rating on Displaymate then the S3's screen. The rear camera is better on the 4S(go look at picture comparisons your self)

Im not just making these facts up, its widely known lmao if you dont bother to look up the claims then you cant say "its not true"

I did a quick google search for you and found this:

http://www.itproportal.com/2012/05/21/samsung-galaxy-s3-vs-apple-iphone-4s-specs-comparison/

Oh and regarding the graphics chip, here is a quote from the page I linked above.

Processor
On paper, the iPhone 4S is no match for the raw processing power of the Galaxy S3. Both phones' chips are based on ARM's Cortex A9 but Samsung's Exynos 4412 has twice the number of cores, which run nearly twice as fast - four 1.4GHz cores vs. two 800MHz cores in the Apple A5.
When it comes to the GPU, the S3 uses the Mali-400/MP4, which thoroughly outclasses the PowerVR SGX543MP2 in the A5. Anandtech provided some preliminary results that show how wide the graphics gap is on some benchmarks.

Read more: http://www.itproportal.com/2012/05/...ple-iphone-4s-specs-comparison/#ixzz2L5UAylkV
Enjoy.

----------

Just saying...the S3 was found to have the same camera sensor as the 4S.

----------

These specs translate to different real world usage for everyone, especially battery life and speed. Just because it has better specs doesn't mean it's better than the 4S for everyone.

Just like it doesn't mean the 4S is better than the GS3 for everyone. Its all in how you use it and where you use it.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
honestly, I would not recommend a 4s at this point. The 5 is such a step up... one of the biggest leaps forward in iphone history (probably 3GS to 4 was the only one bigger). LTE alone makes such a difference, but that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
Better camera, sorry, but they use the same Sony camera. Better build quality, I have never had any Android phone let alone a GS3 creak, crack or have any buttons (home button on iphone is known to FAIL) fail. More secure, well that just got proven to be wrong yet again, and the stable platform is open to interpretation.

----------

I did a quick google search for you and found this:

http://www.itproportal.com/2012/05/21/samsung-galaxy-s3-vs-apple-iphone-4s-specs-comparison/

Oh and regarding the graphics chip, here is a quote from the page I linked above.

Processor
On paper, the iPhone 4S is no match for the raw processing power of the Galaxy S3. Both phones' chips are based on ARM's Cortex A9 but Samsung's Exynos 4412 has twice the number of cores, which run nearly twice as fast - four 1.4GHz cores vs. two 800MHz cores in the Apple A5.
When it comes to the GPU, the S3 uses the Mali-400/MP4, which thoroughly outclasses the PowerVR SGX543MP2 in the A5. Anandtech provided some preliminary results that show how wide the graphics gap is on some benchmarks.

Read more: http://www.itproportal.com/2012/05/...ple-iphone-4s-specs-comparison/#ixzz2L5UAylkV
Enjoy.

----------

Just like it doesn't mean the 4S is better than the GS3 for everyone. Its all in how you use it and where you use it.

They dont use the same camera...the S3 camera is worse they would take the same pictures if they were the same, the S3's camera always comes out oversaturated and underdetailed

And this link shows that the 4S beats the Exynos GPU in almost every test.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6426/ipad-4-gpu-performance-analyzed-powervr-sgx-554mp4-under-the-hood

And how is the "stable OS open to interpertation"? the OS that only has 3-4 different types of hardware running on it compared to the MANY different combinations of hardware on Android is always going to be more stable then Android. Thats just common sense as a developer . The home button on the 4S is dramatically improved from recent years and wont break down no where near as easily. All Galaxy S3's creak, there is no unibody thats why, maybe if it was unibody it wouldnt creak but thats not the case.

Moccasin

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2011
Newcastle, UK
honestly, I would not recommend a 4s at this point. The 5 is such a step up... one of the biggest leaps forward in iphone history (probably 3GS to 4 was the only one bigger). LTE alone makes such a difference, but that's just the tip of the iceberg.

While I couldn't use LTE on my iPhone 5 - and never would be able to on O2 - I returned it in the 2 week period as it just wasn't worth the cost and returned to my iPhone 4. Will see what the 5S is like before deciding to buy

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012

Pentile takes away the sharpness of the 306 PPI on the S3. If it was non pentile then it would be a different story but pentile really ruins the display

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
Processor

I like the GS3 but the US market one is a dual core phone!

einmusiker

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2010
So my girlfriend who was always pro android decided to hop on the bandwagon and get a iphone.. the real reason she decide to switch up cause I always teased her about the superior battery life and how I can always leave the house without my charger:D and cause my phone last me for about 2 days:cool:

So she wanted to sell her mint Galaxy S3 and add cash to a white iphone 5. I told her no.. you might not like the iphone phone (she will) so I have a better idea. since your contract is over in June and the 5S is so near, why not trade your S3 for a 4S.. she said okay

Found a lacky on craiglist that wanted to trade his mint white 4S for a S3 and he adding cash ($60)

Going to make the transaction at a corporate sprint store.. think it was a good deal.. and a great compromise?

Very good deal... for him

Muscle Master

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2010
Philadelphia
Traded a Spring GSIII for a 4S

I mean.. The 4S is dated to a extent, but the main reason for the.. Hmm.. The reason for the downgrade is so that she can learn how to use iOS and whatever apple has out bout time her upgrade is due which is in June.. She can decide whether she likes iOS and upgrade to a better iphone

Win win I guess

Newtoiphone17

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2013
Pentile takes away the sharpness of the 306 PPI on the S3. If it was non pentile then it would be a different story but pentile really ruins the display

It looks horrible, it's like looking a brick house with many colors. If you ask me it wasn't much of a upgrade from the S2.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
It looks horrible, it's like looking a brick house with many colors. If you ask me it wasn't much of a upgrade from the S2.

The Note 2's screen looks alot better then the S3 and its PPI is 267...reason is because its non pentile

Newtoiphone17

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2013
The Note 2's screen looks alot better then the S3 and its PPI is 267...reason is because its non pentile

Yeah I know, they should recall all S3 because they were scamed lol. The s3 was very disappointing, when it was first released every one was bashing it. Saying how ugly it is & why did Sammy go with that horrible screen Tech. I have a friend who has a S3 & Continually say it's better than my iPhone 5. I just say been there done that.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
Let me ask a question about that. What's important to me is that my files for contacts, bookmarks, pictures, music and most of all my calendar update to my computer, iPad and iPhone. If I am out and get a call I set up an appointment on my phone and it is automatically on all 3 devices. Will an Android phone do that? I am not trying to be critical, I am curious and would like to know. Thanks
Yes it can. I do it everyday. Its really nothing new. In fact. When I make a calendar appt. Not only does it show up on my android devices and computer but it also shows up on my iOS devices as well.

lbros360

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2013
Yes, even the 4S is superior to the GS3 in just about every way accept for the processor.

LIST TAKEN FROM PHONEBUUF. COM..... But I wouldndt say the 4s is superior.... Some reasons why the s3 beats the iphone...
1.NFC capabilities
2.DLNA technology
3.MicroSD card slot
4.Removable battery
5.LED notifications
6.Bigger 4.8 inch screen
7.True HD resolution at 720p
8.Widgets
9.Live wallpapers
10.Wireless toggles
11.Available on all major carriers
12.Face unlock
13.Lock screen shortcuts
14.SmartStay
15.Pop up play
16.C Pen
17.Best shot
18.Data usage controls
19.Battery statistics
20.True multitasking
21.Adobe Flash
22.Multiple app stores
23.More e-mail attachment options
24.More in-app sharing options
25.Google Maps and Street View
26.File explorers, works like USB flash drive
27.Haptic feedback
28.Voice controls (different from voice assistants)
29.Driving mode
30.Browsing options (desktop, offline reading, incognito)
31.T9 dialing
32.Wireless app management
33.Better app integration
34.Power saving
35.App refund policy
36.Hide or disable any app
37.Reject list
38.Direct call
39.Double tap to top
40.Smart alert
41.Tilt to zoom
42.Pan to move
43.Turn over to mute
44.Easier screenshots
45.Custom launchers
46.Custom lock screens
47.Third party keyboards
48.Universal microUSB charging port
49.USB host (for USB connections)
50.Share shot and buddy photo share
BOTH ARE GREAT DEVICES BUT THIS LIST CAN GO ON AND ON

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
LIST TAKEN FROM PHONEBUUF. COM..... But I wouldndt say the 4s is superior.... Some reasons why the s3 beats the iphone...

1.NFC capabilities- Not important at all, barely widespread, alot of security issues with current NFC technology

2.DLNA technology- they have this on iOS, its called Qualcomms Skifta

3.MicroSD card slot- one advantage

4.Removable battery- removeable battery phones= phones that freeze more and arent as stable as unibody phones

5.LED notifications- i can just tap my home button to check notifications big deal

6.Bigger 4.8 inch screen- bigger screen size doesnt make it better

7.True HD resolution at 720p- lower PPI and oversaturated colors along with a pentile display makes it worse to view videos and the quality of the video is seriously degraded

8.Widgets- useless, drains battery dramatically on all Android phones

9.Live wallpapers- big deal

10.Wireless toggles- i have this on my iPhone 5

11.Available on all major carriers- so is the iPhone( will be by March)

12.Face unlock-gimmick, you can use someones photo to unlock the phone

13.Lock screen shortcuts-have this already on my jailbroken iPhone

14.SmartStay- gimmick, doesnt even work half the time

15.Pop up play- gimmick, no one ever uses this feature

16.C Pen- S pen doesnt work on the S3

17.Best shot- doesnt matter, still takes worse photos then the 4S/5

18.Data usage controls-iOS can already monitor how much data you use

19.Battery statistics- battery statistics on iOS aswell

20.True multitasking- gimmick, drains alot more batttery then iOS's way of multitasking

21.Adobe Flash- no more flash on Android, plus i can get flash on my iPhone

22.Multiple app stores- multiple third party stores with plenty of viruses and malware ready to take over your phone and steal all your information

23.More e-mail attachment options- okay advantage here

24.More in-app sharing options- not much of a difference of what i can do on my jailbroken iPhone

25.Google Maps and Street View- Google employees admit the iOS version is better then the Android version

26.File explorers, works like USB flash drive- have this already on my jailbroken iPhone

27.Haptic feedback- have this already on my jailbroken iPhone

28.Voice controls (different from voice assistants)- voice assistants are better then voice controls

29.Driving mode- shouldnt really be using your phone while your driving anyway

30.Browsing options (desktop, offline reading, incognito)- iOS has had this for a long time now

31.T9 dialing-not sure

32.Wireless app management-same thing on iOS

33.Better app integration- iOS has a much better ecosystem then Android, this is moot

34.Power saving- what difference does it make if it makes your phone slow down to a crawl, iOS has plenty built in power saving features

35.App refund policy-iOS has this aswell

36.Hide or disable any app- i can do this on my jailbroken iPhone

37.Reject list- i have this on my jailbroken iPhone

38.Direct call-no difference to just tap call

39.Double tap to top- doesnt work good at all, is a straight up gimmick, doesnt compare to tap to top on iOS

40.Smart alert- gimmick and doesnt work half the time

41.Tilt to zoom- gimmick

42.Pan to move-gimmick

43.Turn over to mute- i have this on my jailbroken iphone

44.Easier screenshots- swiping with your hand (which doesnt work half the time) isnt better then the lock/ home button press on iOS

45.Custom launchers- custom launchers that hog your battery life and is incompatible with alot of Android phones

46.Custom lock screens- have this on my jailbroken iPhone

47.Third party keyboards- useless, iOS has one of the best keyboards in the industry hands down

48.Universal microUSB charging port- lightning cable is reversible and allows for better connections in a car

49.USB host (for USB connections)- not sure about this

50.Share shot and buddy photo share- i have the same features on my jailbroken iPhone

BOTH ARE GREAT DEVICES BUT THIS LIST CAN GO ON AND ON

Care to explain how it is better when almost all the features you listed are either gimmicks, works better on iOS or is attainable by a jailbreak tweak/ feature

better yet i dont even need to argue because i already know

Last edited:

lbros360

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2013
Care to explain how it is better when almost all the features you listed are either gimmicks, works better on iOS or is attainable by a jailbreak tweak/ feature

better yet i dont even need to argue because i already know

I'm not even going to spend time arguing that your just upset you iPhone can't do almost anything on that list. Have fun with your small screens. No nfc, removable battery, sd card slot.... Its to bad that some people aren't smart enough to realize that your iPhone can barley do anything other than serve as an app drawer.

There are pros and cons to both devices.... Better yet, you don't know the advantages of Android.
Care to explain that almost most of the things you said on the list were only able to do on your iPhone if it was jail broken. Why not get an android that come built in with those features instead. Is the main reason you have an iPhone is because you want to be part of the apple bandwagon? Plus, you void warranty on iPhone once you jail break it.

Last edited:

MistahMumford

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2011
SC
I own both an iPhone 5 and a Galaxy SIII. BOTH of those devices are wonderful and a person couldn't go wrong with either one. Why can folks typically not have intelligent conversation about conflicting operating system choice is my biggest question but alas, I digress.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
I'm not even going to spend time arguing that your just upset you iPhone can't do almost anything on that list. Have fun with your small screens. No nfc, removable battery, sd card slot.... Its to bad that some people aren't smart enough to realize that your iPhone can barley do anything other than serve as an app drawer.

There are pros and cons to both devices.... Better yet, you don't know the advantages of Android.
Care to explain that almost most of the things you said on the list were only able to do on your iPhone if it was jail broken. Why not get an android that come built in with those features instead. Is the main reason you have an iPhone is because you want to be part of the apple bandwagon? Plus, you void warranty on iPhone once you jail break it.

No its actually because iOS does it better, jailbreak voids your warranty but you can remove the jailbreak and your warranty is "unvoided" and actually everything i listed you can do on a jailbroken iPhone. So now i have all those features on the most stable, secure mobile OS out there with the best app store

I have a iPhone because its the most polished and stable OS out there, it has the best support and the best app store by far, and i love the hardware/software combination of the iPhone 5 and iOS 6, nothing in the industry comes close to that tandem.

Im not riding Apple because im a bandwagoner, i ride Apple because their products are great and look and feel beautiful too

nephron8

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2012
? there is a upload option if you long press on the screen, from there you can attach whatever you like, but your right in that regard that Android has better sharing functionality.

as for the finding files on your iPhone when you connect your phone? its actually extremely easy, you just go to My Computer and you click on your iPhone and have all your files from your iPhone right there... i can easily drag and drop things to my iPhone

Would you tell me how you do drag and drop?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.