Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

narutoninjakid

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
New Jersey
Was going to buy an iPad 4 32gb Wifi now but ive been reading some stories saying iPad 5 is coming out in March.

I know no one can really know but is it even possible? Might want to upgrade but also the price of iPad 4 would drop if the iPad 5 came out and i could save some bucks. Don't really want apple to do what they did to the 3rd Gen iPad users to Me. Thanks Guys

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
It's not coming out until September/October. Buy a 4 and enjoy.

Well it could happen in March but it is rather doubtful. They are only stories after all they said they were reading, nothing concrete, so I agree they should buy the 4.

kitzuki

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2009
Was going to buy an iPad 4 32gb Wifi now but ive been reading some stories saying iPad 5 is coming out in March.

I know no one can really know but is it even possible? Might want to upgrade but also the price of iPad 4 would drop if the iPad 5 came out and i could save some bucks. Don't really want apple to do what they did to the 3rd Gen iPad users to Me. Thanks Guys

Why would apple release a 128 iPad this month and a new iPad next month? How those this make any business sense in production cost. Lol

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA

Anything is possible with Apple. Heck they could release it next week without a keynote first.

The best thing to do is merely to ask yourself if the current whatever can do what you need it to do. If yes, buy it and enjoy. If it happens that within the return period Apple announces something new, or even announces an announcement, you could always take it back and hold onto the refunded money to buy the new one.

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
Awesome price up there^^.

Op Since next month is march just wait. If nothing come out get an iPad 3 for cheap or get a new ipad4.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
Should I get used iPad 4 mint for$ 530 or new iPad 4 wifi 32gb for $600

At least wait until March to hear if there is going to be a keynote. If you buy the iPad 4 now and a redesigned iPad 5 is released you will be sick to the stomach. I would wait a few more weeks, just in case.

S

syd430

Should I get used iPad 4 mint for$ 530 or new iPad 4 wifi 32gb for $600

Well let's to some comparative analysis:

New iPad 4 pros: new
New iPad 4 cons: more expensive than used

Used iPad 4 pros: cheaper than new
Used ipad 4 cons: used

Hope this helps.

Liquinn

Suspended
Apr 10, 2011
I'd buy the iPad 4 now. If and when the iPad 5 does come out you can always sell your iPad 4 to fund the iPad 5... think of it as a rental fee.

findwaldonow

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2009
I don't think we'll see the lighter full size model iPad 5 until later than March, unfortunately. I'm actually really looking forward to the iPad getting the iPad mini/iPhone 5 treatment and will definitely be picking one up. However, I find it odd that people keep saying the 128GB release is proof we won't see the new model in the first half of the year. That doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense as an argument for a few reasons.

1. Am I wrong in thinking the 128GB model differs from it's lower capacity counterparts very little? Every part is the same except for switching out the flash memory modules for bigger capacity ones, right? Not difficult. I bet the factories weren't shut down for more than an hour while they crated in the bins.

2. They have been making 128GB models for several weeks. Production ramps up on a new product release before the announcement to have as much stock as possible. The 128GB models were probably being made as the initial ramp-up of the iPad 4 (which wasn't that different from making the iPad 3) was being wound down. They replaced a few production lines with the 128gb modules and printed a different number on a box, that's it. The reason you didn't see bigger capacities before wasn't because it was difficult to do, it was because apple's numbers didn't jive yet to do it. They didn't have quite the right profit margin to put the bigger modules in and then medium-gouge, but not outright fleece their customers into a rage the way they do with all capacity upgrades. They want you paying out the nose for more storage, but not out the ears, too. Those numbers worked out recently, it seems.

3. They aren't going to sell that many of the higher capacity. The 64GB models were the lowest selling to begin with. It's awesome they're looking ahead to higher capacity models for truly replacing laptops for some people. It marks a big shift going forward. We will probably see the 16's go away within a couple of refreshes, which is great. But, while the iPad is not a niche product, the iPad as a full laptop replacement with the storage capacity to pull that off definitely is. The price is 8 or 900 dollars. That's not going to fly off the shelves the way a 4 or 500 dollar tablet will. It's for rich people who want to max out their iPad to go with their maxed out computer they don't need, or the tech savvy who are trying to be more mobile and do away with their laptop altogether. The latter of which, by the way, is probably waiting for the iPad 5. There wasn't a line at the apple store for the 128GB iPad capacity. A few nerds walked in, bought one with no trouble, and walked out and put it in a case so they can sell it in 6 months. The rest got them online. That's it. They've probably sold the vast majority of the new capacity that they're going to sell already without much fuss. The people who were clamoring for them have them already or are waiting for the 5.

So, in my opinion, it wasn't a difficult switch to make the 128gb model, they did it quick, then released them, have probably about sold the number they're going to sell, and that's it. It's over. The fact that they just updated the chip last fall and that the 5 is going to have to be completely redone internally cramming enough battery into a casing with very likely new display technology is why we're going to have to wait a little bit for the iPad 5. Again, I am assuming we do have a bit of a wait than March, but not because a bigger number on a box for the laptop ditchers.

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
Why would apple release a 128 iPad this month and a new iPad next month? How those this make any business sense in production cost. Lol

Because the 128gb probably costs them very little to produce and have passed the 100 dollars straight to the customer. So why not sucker some customers in? Its pretty clear that Apple doesnt care much for customers considering the 6 month release of the ipad 4 and the cornering methods of the lightning adapters.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
I think we all can agree that Apple screwed the launch of the full sized iPad with the iPad 4. First you got people second guessing launch dates and second the iPad mini will cannibalize iPad 9.7 if released at the same time. Makes more sense to do 9.7" in early spring and the mini in fall.
It would be a disservice to customers releasing a 9.7" iPad in March. I just don't think we needed the iPad 4 so soon last year. Obvious mistake on Apple's part.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
According to some brilliant analyst who must have spent about 5 minutes Googling this site to come up with the earth-shattering discovery that Apple holds launch events in the spring:

"By analyzing the previous launch events held by Apple, Gene Munster believes that the Apple always holds a launch event in the Spring time. Combing through the 11 major product launch events held by Apple since the launch of the iPhone 3GS, Munster believes that the Spring event always centers around iPad updates, and that with it being the first Apple event of the year, it is going to feature something major. The ‘something major’ is speculated to be a complete redesign of the full-sized iPad that resembles the design of the iPad Mini. He also believes that the next iPad mini could be introduced at the event, and this time it will carry a Retina display."

http://www.slashgear.com/analyst-be...mplete-redesign-by-the-end-of-april-17269627/

What a joke. Talk about a complete lack of insight from that article! As for screwing over customers, Apple has already done that to 3 owners, so I don't see anything stopping them from doing it to the 4 owners! It's cool, though. We knew what we were in for last spring when we bought the 3, and Apple has done this kind of stuff before. I would have liked to sell the 3 and upgrade, because a body redesign would be nice. Oh well. Maybe the iPad 6 or 7.

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
I think we all can agree that Apple screwed the launch of the full sized iPad with the iPad 4. First you got people second guessing launch dates and second the iPad mini will cannibalize iPad 9.7 if released at the same time. Makes more sense to do 9.7" in early spring and the mini in fall.
It would be a disservice to customers releasing a 9.7" iPad in March. I just don't think we needed the iPad 4 so soon last year. Obvious mistake on Apple's part.

What an upside down world where a faster update to a product is called a disservice to the customer. Just because Apple upgrades a product takes nothing away from the current product. It works just as well. Do you buy a new car every year? When Nike comes out with new shoes do you rush out and buy them?

----------

Maybe because they will keep selling this along side the next version but at a reduced price? Maybe because businesses don't care that that much about having the latest and greatest? Maybe because this is a sly way of discounting the iPad for the enterprise market? Apple produces a really excellent iPad then discounts it $100 because there is a newer one out there.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
What an upside down world where a faster update to a product is called a disservice to the customer. Just because Apple upgrades a product takes nothing away from the current product. It works just as well. Do you buy a new car every year? When Nike comes out with new shoes do you rush out and buy them?

Comparing a new car to a new tablet is crazy. And I buy at least 2 pair of shoes per year. You went from one extreme to another. A better comparison would be a laptop or computer.
My point was that Apple did not have to release iPad 4 because a iPad 4 was not expected last year. The iPad 4 when released sat on shelves and there was not one sold out story that typically come with a 9.7" ipad launch. The iPad mini stole it's thunder. That's my issue with what happened. Timing is everything and many people looked towards March as the beginning of iPad buying season.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
I don't think we'll see the lighter full size model iPad 5 until later than March, unfortunately. I'm actually really looking forward to the iPad getting the iPad mini/iPhone 5 treatment and will definitely be picking one up. However, I find it odd that people keep saying the 128GB release is proof we won't see the new model in the first half of the year. That doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense as an argument for a few reasons.

1. Am I wrong in thinking the 128GB model differs from it's lower capacity counterparts very little? Every part is the same except for switching out the flash memory modules for bigger capacity ones, right? Not difficult. I bet the factories weren't shut down for more than an hour while they crated in the bins.

2. They have been making 128GB models for several weeks. Production ramps up on a new product release before the announcement to have as much stock as possible. The 128GB models were probably being made as the initial ramp-up of the iPad 4 (which wasn't that different from making the iPad 3) was being wound down. They replaced a few production lines with the 128gb modules and printed a different number on a box, that's it. The reason you didn't see bigger capacities before wasn't because it was difficult to do, it was because apple's numbers didn't jive yet to do it. They didn't have quite the right profit margin to put the bigger modules in and then medium-gouge, but not outright fleece their customers into a rage the way they do with all capacity upgrades. They want you paying out the nose for more storage, but not out the ears, too. Those numbers worked out recently, it seems.

3. They aren't going to sell that many of the higher capacity. The 64GB models were the lowest selling to begin with. It's awesome they're looking ahead to higher capacity models for truly replacing laptops for some people. It marks a big shift going forward. We will probably see the 16's go away within a couple of refreshes, which is great. But, while the iPad is not a niche product, the iPad as a full laptop replacement with the storage capacity to pull that off definitely is. The price is 8 or 900 dollars. That's not going to fly off the shelves the way a 4 or 500 dollar tablet will. It's for rich people who want to max out their iPad to go with their maxed out computer they don't need, or the tech savvy who are trying to be more mobile and do away with their laptop altogether. The latter of which, by the way, is probably waiting for the iPad 5. There wasn't a line at the apple store for the 128GB iPad capacity. A few nerds walked in, bought one with no trouble, and walked out and put it in a case so they can sell it in 6 months. The rest got them online. That's it. They've probably sold the vast majority of the new capacity that they're going to sell already without much fuss. The people who were clamoring for them have them already or are waiting for the 5.

So, in my opinion, it wasn't a difficult switch to make the 128gb model, they did it quick, then released them, have probably about sold the number they're going to sell, and that's it. It's over. The fact that they just updated the chip last fall and that the 5 is going to have to be completely redone internally cramming enough battery into a casing with very likely new display technology is why we're going to have to wait a little bit for the iPad 5. Again, I am assuming we do have a bit of a wait than March, but not because a bigger number on a box for the laptop ditchers.

This is my view also...the effect on production of 128GB models would be minimum. The new capacity is just Apple milking a bit more out of this 3 generations of iPad design. I hope it's March but it's doubtful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.