Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
But I can still easily rub my fingers across an old iPhone.

Once cleaned. An iPhone with the coating worn off and not cleaned has more friction that prevents ones finger from gliding as if is on ice like a new iPhone's screen.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Once cleaned. An iPhone with the coating worn off and not cleaned has more friction that prevents ones finger from gliding as if is on ice like a new iPhone's screen.

But it's not very noticeable. Most people can live with it.

V0RT3X

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2012
This is also noticable on cheap screen replacements and back covers. I had a cheap backplate on my 4S for a few days and the oil from my hands stuck on it and I had to use more force to clean it off. It also didn't feel as smooth as the original.

DOUGHNUT

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2006
i wrote a lengthy review on a oleophobic coating kit which restores the coating on the screen if it's worn off.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1543227/

the stuff is expensive, but works wonders. it's a very similar compound to what apple uses on its stock oleophobic coating (a fluoropolymer compound that's bonded to the glass surface) and is supposed to last at least 3-6 months.

or you could use the suggested car wax...which people said works, but i am very skeptical about it.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
i wrote a lengthy review on a oleophobic coating kit which restores the coating on the screen if it's worn off.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1543227/

the stuff is expensive, but works wonders. it's a very similar compound to what apple uses on its stock oleophobic coating (a fluoropolymer compound that's bonded to the glass surface) and is supposed to last at least 3-6 months.

or you could use the suggested car wax...which people said works, but i am very skeptical about it.

Do you think it's worth it if its expensive & rubs off in a few months?

DOUGHNUT

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2006
1 bottle is plenty for 4-5 applications so should easily last the device's life time (and more) during normal usage.

Honestly I don't know how long it will last. I just applied it a few days ago and so far no signs of wear yet so who knows if it may last longer than the 6 months. It's really not a bad investment if your screen has become a fingerprint magnet after the original coating wears off

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
Stick a screen protector on it, then you will never to worry about wearing the oleophobic coating off

This makes no sense. You cover the coating with a screen protector, and thus never get to experience it. As if you have no coating at all.

DOUGHNUT

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2006
Problem with screen protectors is that unless you get the more expensive oleophobic ones, they are magnets for fingerprints as well. Doesn't help it's more scratch prone than glass.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.