Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:20 PM   #26
macMD
macrumors 6502

You are not alone, but there are many iPhone users who do want the larger screen and like me feel it took apple way too long to get to 4"" and it may take them a glacial pace to get beyond that.

There is nothing wrong with wanting a 3.5 or 4" screen, and I am sure Apple will continue to keep multiple sizes around for a while. But its not a me too situation, Apple has and continues to lose customers who do want the larger phone whether they are willing to admit it or not. Honestly their ego's are so big they will never admit it, they will just roll out a bigger screen and say they engineered it just right so you can't tell it's bigger which is BS but will be eaten up by the shovel full.

I would like a larger than 4" screen, but won't skip the upcoming iPhone if it doesn't have the larger screen. There are just a few apps that I need and they are simply easier to use on the iPhone than they are on Android and for me they are important. Otherwise I would keep my GS3 and likely get the GS4 but the iP5S is likely my next choice.
macMD is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:45 PM   #27
Jimmy James
macrumors 65816

I haven't investigated very recently, but there seems to be a distinct lack of high-end, smaller-screened Android phones. If you want one of the better Android phones it seems like you're given one option; big screen.

And since I prefer a smaller overall device it's actually Android that is lacking in appropriate options or me.
Jimmy James is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 03:48 AM   #28
racoonboy
macrumors 6502a

I dont know if its just me of that apple's Iphone screen are bigger than what is said in the spec sheet.

I used to own an Android 3.7 screen and it look smaller than Iphone 4. Then i went on to try typing in the 4 inch windowphone which is still not comfortable for me.

Now i owned an Iphone 4 and typing on this device is way better than my old blackberry. i use two hand to type as well (old habits) I got big hands but it is still doable on iphone screen. I have no idea why.
racoonboy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 05:14 AM   #29
Ste Nova
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by iUseBoth View Post
you must have really small hands. My wife uses her GS3 with one hand all day and twice on Sunday.

You should play a youtube video on your iPhone and on a SGS3 side by side and see where your eyes go.
to my ipad?
Old Feb 14, 2013, 05:36 AM   #30
HiddenPuppy
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste Nova View Post
to my ipad?
Amen Brother!
HiddenPuppy is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 04:56 PM   #31
cardinalryan
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by luqtotheman View Post
Am I the only one that doesn't want a larger screen? I wasn't even in favor for the larger iPhone 5 screen but glad they didn't make it wider.

The big phones look ridiculous on you when you are on the phone and you need two hands to type. I do value the one hand use. Putting them in your pocket is annoying too and I'm a taller guy. Larger screen means less battery life as well.

If I want a larger screen I use a tablet or computer, I want my phone to be extremely portable and long lasting.
Yes. You are the only one.

Anyone who tells you that they don't want a bigger screen hasn't used a phone with a bigger screen.

It's really that simple. Go use a GS3 for two weeks and you will never make the "I want a small screen" statement ever again.

----------

I would slightly amend my above comment to say that if you still prefer a smaller screen after using a GS3 or a Note 2, then you don't need a smartphone and should probably just get a flip phone.
cardinalryan is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 05:29 PM   #32
macnoodle
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalryan View Post
I would slightly amend my above comment to say that if you still prefer a smaller screen after using a GS3 or a Note 2, then you don't need a smartphone and should probably just get a flip phone.
Here is the problem with generalisations: Those who prefer a smaller screen would say this slightly differently. It would go something like this:

If you still need a larger screen on your smartphone, then perhaps you don't need a smart *phone*, you need a tablet!

Last edited by macnoodle; Feb 15, 2013 at 12:03 AM. Reason: grammar
macnoodle is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 05:37 PM   #33
dontpannic
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedrick View Post
You guys who keep pining for a teeny, tiny phone ever think that maybe a smartphone just may not be for you?
Teeny tiny phone? Are you comparing it to the monstrosity of the Note series?

By the way - where on earth does smartphone = large display?
dontpannic is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 06:53 PM   #34
Bahroo
macrumors 6502a

I love the i5 screen size, with that being said if Apple can make a bigger screened iPhone while not really making the phone bigger itself(edge to edge display) then i will jump on that phone ASAP. Otherwise im not too sure

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by racoonboy View Post
I dont know if its just me of that apple's Iphone screen are bigger than what is said in the spec sheet.

I used to own an Android 3.7 screen and it look smaller than Iphone 4. Then i went on to try typing in the 4 inch windowphone which is still not comfortable for me.

Now i owned an Iphone 4 and typing on this device is way better than my old blackberry. i use two hand to type as well (old habits) I got big hands but it is still doable on iphone screen. I have no idea why.
I guess it has to do with the touch accuracy and touch recognition on iOS...for some reason i can type much better on my i5 then say my brothers note 2 or my old GS3 that i used to have...its kind of weird actually but i really like the iOS keyboard alot

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste Nova View Post
to my ipad?
Ahah
Bahroo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:34 PM   #35
hyteckit

Quote:
Yes. You are the only one.

Anyone who tells you that they don't want a bigger screen hasn't used a phone with a bigger screen.

It's really that simple. Go use a GS3 for two weeks and you will never make the "I want a small screen" statement ever again.

----------

I used a Note 2 as my primary phone for 2 weeks. Went back to my iPhone 4S.

I realize I wanted a smartphone and not a pocket computer or tablet.
hyteckit is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:36 PM   #36
Sedrick
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
I used a Note 2 as my primary phone for 2 weeks. Went back to my iPhone 4S.

I realize I wanted a smartphone and not a pocket computer or tablet.
Samson Note 2 is a HUGE device. I'm sure there's a compromise out there between 3.5" and 5.5". I don't, though, consider the stretched iPhone 5 as a compromise, because that additional vertical space on a 2" wide phone is (IMHO) nearly worthless screen real-estate.

I'm also disappointed Apple went 16:9 because if they end up going to something like 4.5" it will not be that much of an improvement : still too damn skinny. Unless you're in to watching movies on your phone, and we all know what a huge segment of the market that it. lol.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:00 PM   #37
canucksfan88
macrumors 6502

good for you.

i like the iPhone 5 screen. I look at my brothers 4 and my moms 3g and wonder...how the heck did I ever use that small thing.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:13 PM   #38
ericrwalker
Banned

I am still waiting for a 3" iPhone, I want it as thin as the iPhone 5 and I want a smaller bezel.

I am going to wish in one hand and crap in the other though. I'll let you know which hand fills up first.
ericrwalker is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:20 PM   #39
Luis2004
macrumors 6502a

The perfect screen size for 98% of the male population living in North America (Canada to Mexico) is 5.8".

The perfect screen size for 98% of the same population in the female variety is 5.2".

There are many studies purporting this.
Luis2004 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:23 PM   #40
trouble747
macrumors regular

Quote:

Ha! What a goofy generalization...
trouble747 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:23 PM   #41
ericrwalker
Banned

Source please? I want to verify that you're still talking about the screen size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis2004 View Post
The perfect screen size for 98% of the male population living in North America (Canada to Mexico) is 5.8".

The perfect screen size for 98% of the same population in the female variety is 5.2".

There are many studies purporting this.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:40 PM   #42
Luis2004
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericrwalker View Post
Source please?
Of course.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 02:25 PM   #43
7enderbender
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by luqtotheman View Post
Am I the only one that doesn't want a larger screen? I wasn't even in favor for the larger iPhone 5 screen but glad they didn't make it wider.

The big phones look ridiculous on you when you are on the phone and you need two hands to type. I do value the one hand use. Putting them in your pocket is annoying too and I'm a taller guy. Larger screen means less battery life as well.

If I want a larger screen I use a tablet or computer, I want my phone to be extremely portable and long lasting.
Yes! I came very close to being an iPhone 5 user a few days ago - and I sent it back unopened. The form factor and the size are two of the main reasons. I don't want a large phone like that in my pocket all day. I've made the decision to not switch providers and likely buy the Blackberry Q10 once it's out.

The <3" screens on the old BB devices are perfect and I want a real keyboard. If Apple made something along those lines - or at least if the iPhone 5 had been the size of the 4s I'd be a customer. There totally is a market for smaller devices. The giganto smart phone fad must be over at some point. Remember when cell phones were shrinking all the time? Now we're almost back to the size of the old Motorolla DynaTac.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 02:40 PM   #44
ericrwalker
Banned

Quote:
nice
Old Feb 15, 2013, 02:52 PM   #45
Luis2004
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7enderbender View Post
....I sent it back unopened. The form factor and the size are two of the main reasons. ...
How did you know you didn't like the form factor or size if you never even opened it?

Old Feb 16, 2013, 12:12 AM   #46
7enderbender
macrumors 6502

Quote:
How did you know you didn't like the form factor or size if you never even opened it?

Because it is a ubiquitous device and I am surrounded by people who are using them? The question is why I even ordered it anyway when I knew that it's not what I wanted. But they are supported by our organization now and I would have gotten it almost for free. So it was tempting there for a moment.

And just as a side note: there are quite a few current users at work who are not thrilled about those either and would go back to a smaller keyboard device in a heartbeat.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 12:31 AM   #47
Ann P
macrumors 68000

The screen size of the 5 is perfect for me but they could do away with some extra space on the top and bottom.
Ann P is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:28 AM   #48
TacticalDesire
macrumors 68000

It's called personal preference. For me, a 4 inch screen is way to small for every day use. ESPECIALLY one handed. Typing is cramped in portrait mode. So for me, the 4.7 inch screen on my Nexus 4 is perfect. It fits beautifully in the hand and one handed use is a breeze. But that's just ME.

I also love how before the iPhone 5 came out, people were like

"3.5 inch screens are perfect. 4 is too big."

now

"4 inch screens are perfect. Anything bigger is too big"

Use what works for you. If you have tiny hands or feel that screens that are a 1/2 inch larger are too uncomfortable, choose what you like based on your needs.
Slate iPad Mini 16gb (iOS 7.1)
TacticalDesire is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 11:50 AM   #49
7enderbender
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalDesire View Post
It's called personal preference. .
Which is great. And something that Apple has always struggled with. Their geek squad cooks something up and the rest of us have to buy it...or else.

My preference would also be a smaller phone. And one that works on all major international networks. And supports UMA. And let's me easily use icloud push mail with my own personal email address/SMTP server.

What? I'm not happy that such basics are missing? Must be a "hater" then. Problem also is that "the other side" (just like in the PC world) is busy copying Apple's pretty designs instead of offering alternatives for the "average techie".

So, despite all the fabulous innovations there is always an issue - which is why I still haven't bought either a new phone, new laptop or desktop and try to make due with some pretty ancient devices at this point (even for my standards). I know I'm a bit picky and I may have some special needs that are irrelevant for most people, but still.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 02:49 PM   #50
Sedrick
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7enderbender View Post
Yes! I came very close to being an iPhone 5 user a few days ago - and I sent it back unopened. The form factor and the size are two of the main reasons. I don't want a large phone like that in my pocket all day. I've made the decision to not switch providers and likely buy the Blackberry Q10 once it's out.

The <3" screens on the old BB devices are perfect and I want a real keyboard. If Apple made something along those lines - or at least if the iPhone 5 had been the size of the 4s I'd be a customer. There totally is a market for smaller devices. The giganto smart phone fad must be over at some point. Remember when cell phones were shrinking all the time? Now we're almost back to the size of the old Motorolla DynaTac.
Might as well:

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone