Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Unless you want something reliable and doesn't break down all the time.

Consumer reports top brands for reliability in 2012 was: Toyota, Mazda, Subaru, and Honda (in that order).

You're talking about the same Ford that was dead last in the 2012 consumer reports reliability ratings right?

Anyway, basically the only difference between these setups in these new cars here and the setup I have in my current car (iphone 5 hooked up to AUX via lightning) is that you press the Siri button on the steering wheel instead of pushing the home button on the phone sitting in the console?

Siri is actually quite convenient when driving, mostly because it's nice to say "play this song" instead of having to look at the screen while driving, but I don't think it's worth all the extra money just to move the button to the steering wheel.

Why not embrace the American auto industry and be proud of the improvements that have been made?

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
Why not embrace the American auto industry and be proud of the improvements that have been made?

I don't see the point of embracing an inferior product just because their company's headquarters are in the country I live in. Besides, the auto industry is pretty much a global industry anyways, the only thing American about these cars are the brand names at this point.

My parents Hondas, which are technically Japanese cars, were actually assembled here in North America. The parts come from all over the world.

All these bells and whistles are great, but until the American-brand cars improve on the most important thing about a car, it's reliability, I'm not buying them or recommending them to anyone. A car can have all these new electronic gadgets but it's completely useless if it needs repairs all the time.

My first three cars were all American-brand (GM) but I bought a Subaru Legacy last year and I won't be going back any time soon. The reliability is way better, it's top-rated in all safety testing, and the AWD system is second to none.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
I don't see the point of embracing an inferior product just because their company's headquarters are in the country I live in. Besides, the auto industry is pretty much a global industry anyways, the only thing American about these cars are the brand names at this point.

My parents Hondas, which are technically Japanese cars, were actually assembled here in North America. The parts come from all over the world.

All these bells and whistles are great, but until the American-brand cars improve on the most important thing about a car, it's reliability, I'm not buying them or recommending them to anyone. A car can have all these new electronic gadgets but it's completely useless if it needs repairs all the time.

My first three cars were all American-brand (GM) but I bought a Subaru Legacy last year and I won't be going back any time soon. The reliability is way better, it's top-rated in all safety testing, and the AWD system is second to none.

If you say so. I completely disagree as do millions of others.

imola.zhp

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2010
Mud Island (Memphis), TN
you got some facts to back that up.. as for for 2013, expect the ats to outsell the 3

LMAO

Here are your facts...

"BMW 3 Series is Top Selling Compact Sports Sedan in 2012 by Nearly 18,000 Cars"
http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788038
I'm not sure how many months the ATS was on sale in 2012, but it shows to have outsold it 3.6 to 1 in this article...

"BMW experiences best sales EVER in US - 2012"
http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=787677&2012+sales

"BMW Tops US Luxury Auto Sales in 2012"
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1081451_bmw-tops-u-s-luxury-auto-sales-in-2012
This one shows BMW overall outselling Catterac overall nearly 2 to 1. With the bulk of BMW sales in the 3er and 5er, I'm sure the 3er will have NO problem outselling the ATS in 2013...

How many models will Catterac have for the ATS? BMW just released the 320i in the US. That makes 320i, 328i, 328i touring and the 335i all available for 2013. I don't think its clear yet if the 320i will be released in x-drive form, but the 328i, 328i touring and 335i are all available in x-drive...

BMW also topped overall sales in 2011...
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/01/05/us-bmw-mercedes-idUSTRE8041MB20120105

I wonder what expected residual lease values on the ATS are as compared to the 3-Series...

imola.zhp

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2010
Mud Island (Memphis), TN
Oh my gosh! A fellow ZHP'er on Mac Rumours!

I too love my '04 ZHP 330i. I bought it with 34 miles on it-I'm up to 125000 thus far and so far it is the best and most fun automobile I've ever had in my life (my previous two cars were of Japanese origin). My ZHP was born in Munich on May 15, 2004-I bought it on August 24th 2004 so I too am almost coming up on ten years.

Anyway, enough of my gushing about my car...glad to see someone else on this board driving a decent automobile. ;)

Hello fellow e46/ZHP fanatic! Thanks for sharing your story!

My ZHP turns 10 on Sunday! She is a 330i that was manufactured on 03/03/03, haha...

I purchased mine CPO'd on May 21st, 2006. She had 32,500 on her at the time and I just rolled 119,000 a few weeks ago. I am the second owner, but with the same first name...

Are you on ZHPmafia.com? The forum says it doesn't take new members because they got tired of spammers and all of the punk kids that drive old e46 323i's. But if your interested in joining, just follow the process to apply. My username is Imola.ZHP on there as well...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.