Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jollyegirl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2012
Amarillo

I am having trouble with my iPhone 4s speaker not working. This is the 2nd ti,e that it's happened & both times I've had an otterbox commuter case. Is anyone else having this problem? :mad:

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
Just curious as to what you feel correlates this problem with the Otterbox Commuter?

I have an otterbox commuter case and an iPhone 4s. While I've had my commuter case break on me (promptly replaced by otterbox -- THANKS!), I haven't had the problem you're describing. But I wonder why you think it has to do with the case you're using. Besides having physical contact with the phone, I can't see how it would be any different than saying "Has anyone else had their iphone 4s speaker quit after getting their nails done?"

jollyegirl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2012
Amarillo
Just curious as to what you feel correlates this problem with the Otterbox Commuter?

I have an otterbox commuter case and an iPhone 4s. While I've had my commuter case break on me (promptly replaced by otterbox -- THANKS!), I haven't had the problem you're describing. But I wonder why you think it has to do with the case you're using. Besides having physical contact with the phone, I can't see how it would be any different than saying "Has anyone else had their iphone 4s speaker quit after getting their nails done?"

No need to be a jerk about it. This is the 2nd time it's happened so I figured it could have something to do with the case

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
nah, the case couldn't have done anything

i also have a communiter and my iphone 4s is fine ... *touchwood*

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
nah, the case couldn't have done anything

i also have a communiter and my iphone 4s is fine ... *touchwood*

Agreed. I had a commuter case for years with no issues. Without knowing more the OP is having bad luck.

OP: What was the solution the first time. A replacement? Can you take the second one to a Genius for a health check?

jollyegirl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2012
Amarillo
Suspect

It seems interesting that I have had the same problem with 2 phones & the problems only began after I switched from the defender to the commuter. I realize it could just be a coincidence but I just wondered if anyone else had the same problem

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
It seems interesting that I have had the same problem with 2 phones & the problems only began after I switched from the defender to the commuter. I realize it could just be a coincidence but I just wondered if anyone else had the same problem

Does the case have a cutout for the speaker? Or some kind of foam shield in the case? Perhaps it's defective.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
No need to be a jerk about it. This is the 2nd time it's happened so I figured it could have something to do with the case

Wasn't being a jerk. This is the internet and a lot of the tone is lost when communicating via the internet. If I wanted to be a jerk, I would have said nothing and left your thread at the bottom of the pile (sinking fast), unanswered. Instead, I bumped it up to the top and asked a LEGITIMATE question as to why you correlate the speaker not working with the commuter case. As others have agreed -- it's hard to find the connection between a broken speaker and the type of case you are using (unless that case inherently comes in direct contact with the speaker per design though I don't know of any cases lilke that, just hypothetical).

You have to realize that you haven't really given a lot of information regarding your issue. It wasn't until a subsequent post that you actually explained that you have switched from a defender to a commuter case. So even better would be to get more detailed than that. Was the speaker working up until the minute that you switched cases? Or perhaps you switched, had the case on for two days, then it stopped working... If it's scenario 1 where it stopped right away, did it start working again when you switched back (which would *really* lend itself to being the fault of the case)?

These aren't questions to make you feel dumb or insult you (i.e. I'm not being a "jerk") but more to get you thinking about the problem you're experiencing and help you to better provide more details about the problem so that we can help you diagnose your issue.

Something I find interesting about forums is that, yes, they do allow people to be mean, hateful, vile, narcissistic, etc. but I think it's human nature to want to help. Or at least it's human nature for people to show off what they know (which, if they know a lot about a specific subject, tends to help people on the internet). I'm a business major and I'm in school for an MBA right now but I'd love to read a thesis written by a psych major that involves the concept of how people communicate through forums and what personality traits it brings out in people... but I digress....

jollyegirl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2012
Amarillo
Ok...point taken

It was the last comment about "...speakers stop working after getting their nails done" that came across as snide. But no, the speaker didn't quit immediately, although I think that doesn't necessarily mean anything either. I can see how what I said implied that the commuter cases are crap but that isn't what I meant. Sorry to call you a jerk, the comment about the nails rubbed me the wrong way. :eek:

Jenhay

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2013
Same issue

I am currently having the exact issue did you get this resolved ?

It was the last comment about "...speakers stop working after getting their nails done" that came across as snide. But no, the speaker didn't quit immediately, although I think that doesn't necessarily mean anything either. I can see how what I said implied that the commuter cases are crap but that isn't what I meant. Sorry to call you a jerk, the comment about the nails rubbed me the wrong way. :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.