Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:20 PM   #151
dexx0008
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by KindredMAC View Post
Promptly filed in the "No S#ít, Sherlock" category in the filing cabinet...
filing cabinet?

dexx0008 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:37 PM   #152
jvmxtra
macrumors 65816
 
jvmxtra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by SILen(e View Post
Please see this:



I am not against a larger device per se, i am against the yearly size increase in Android devices to be the best in the spec sheet wars.

Yeah, i heard what you said - but you asked for YEARLY increases in size, not a new additional model with a larger size.
Ok, fair enough. I did make that statement and that wasn't what I wanted to say.. so that was my bad.. then we are on same page :-)... love apple stuff but just want more choices for different size.!!
__________________
--still apple fan but it's getting difficult...
jvmxtra is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:14 PM   #153
The Wedge
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by adildacoolset View Post
So what you want is a bigger screen but yet you refuse to use a bigger screen, precisely because it's a bigger screen?
No, what kind of ridiculous logic is that? Do I really need to explain myself?
__________________
"I'm conducting classical music!"
The Wedge is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 03:10 PM   #154
olegandbuster25
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to olegandbuster25
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvmxtra View Post
I hate this attitude of "apple won't just make bigger device every nine month.. WHY the hell not? I want along w/ many others, want IOS on amazing 5+ inch screen.. you can have your 4 inch iphone.. what's wrong w/ that? I don't understand what some of you are drinking.. I don't get it
No wonder apple is tanking on their stock values.. Thing to concentrate here is not how much apple made last quarter but rather how much apple could have made more.. do you see the difference?

I am hearing 5+ inch coming w/ 1080 devices this year which is going to be very common. Why the hell would I want to be stuck on 4 inch screen(if I were to upgrade this year) for next 2 years when everyone else will have gorgeous screen of 5+ inch? I want it.. you can have your 4inch screen.

----------

Seriously.. the day of apple doing things because they are the only one who can do right thing is over...
Lmao ok well stick with your 5" phablet phone
And we will stick with our comfortable yet still clear and beautiful 4 inch screens.
Plus i don't feel like going out and buying multiple pairs of new jeans so I could carry around my phone and my iPad mini in my pockets hahah

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard View Post
Why would you buy every iPhone ever made? I've owned exactly two iPhones since Apple has come out with them. Currently on an iPhone 4 and likely will stay with it until it becomes troublesome.

As to iPads I get far more value out of my iPad 3 than my iPhone or MBP for that matter. Even so I don't update every cycle there either. Frankly I work hard for my dollars and spend them carefully. Further I avoid getting emotional about a product.
I've gotten every single one because there's always one new or better thing that makes want to have it hah.
But it's kind of cool now I have an iPhone line up
olegandbuster25 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 05:55 PM   #155
irDigital0l
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinamra View Post
I would love to know how you came up with THAT conclusion?
iOS 6.
irDigital0l is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:41 PM   #156
Premium1
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by olegandbuster25 View Post
Lmao ok well stick with your 5" phablet phone
And we will stick with our comfortable yet still clear and beautiful 4 inch screens.
Plus i don't feel like going out and buying multiple pairs of new jeans so I could carry around my phone and my iPad mini in my pockets hahah

----------



I've gotten every single one because there's always one new or better thing that makes want to have it hah.
But it's kind of cool now I have an iPhone line up
Maybe quit wearing skinny jeans because a 5" device still easily fits in normal jeans pockets.
Premium1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:46 AM   #157
Vinamra
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Send a message via Skype™ to Vinamra
Quote:
Originally Posted by irDigital0l View Post
iOS 6.
Based on iOS 6, you came up with a conclusion that iOS 7 is going to be disappointing, when the post clearly said the iOS 7 will be revamped?
__________________
Six | Parallel | Lines
Vinamra is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:12 AM   #158
jvmxtra
macrumors 65816
 
jvmxtra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Premium1 View Post
Maybe quit wearing skinny jeans because a 5" device still easily fits in normal jeans pockets.
lol... yeah..

It also doesn't matter to me since I always carry my phone in my hand or in my man bag which I also carry all my apple product(mba/ipad and all other related cables).

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinamra View Post
Based on iOS 6, you came up with a conclusion that iOS 7 is going to be disappointing, when the post clearly said the iOS 7 will be revamped?
I really really want to but really really doubt that ios 7 will be that much of a revamp... It's going to be like from XP to windows 7... Not from windows 7 to windows 8
__________________
--still apple fan but it's getting difficult...
jvmxtra is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:30 PM   #159
irDigital0l
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinamra View Post
Based on iOS 6, you came up with a conclusion that iOS 7 is going to be disappointing, when the post clearly said the iOS 7 will be revamped?
uhhh?

Orginal post:

"So basically iOS 7 is going to be disappointing with no revamp."

Yes, I'm basing off that if iOS 7 doesn't get a revamp like what everyone is hoping for or that its being moved to iOS 8, people will be disappointed like me.
irDigital0l is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:55 PM   #160
graush
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
What the heck is the "S" gonna stand for if it doesn't mean 5 " Screen?
graush is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 03:13 PM   #161
Vinamra
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Send a message via Skype™ to Vinamra
Quote:
Originally Posted by irDigital0l View Post
uhhh?

Orginal post:

"So basically iOS 7 is going to be disappointing with no revamp."

Yes, I'm basing off that if iOS 7 doesn't get a revamp like what everyone is hoping for or that its being moved to iOS 8, people will be disappointed like me.
OH! Now I figured.. There was a big IF to the statement!

----------

Quote:
I really really want to but really really doubt that ios 7 will be that much of a revamp... It's going to be like from XP to windows 7... Not from windows 7 to windows 8
I guess XP to Windows 7 was a huge leap. Let's keep our fingers crossed and hope Sir Ive is going crazy revamping the iOS!
__________________
Six | Parallel | Lines
Vinamra is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 05:59 PM   #162
maxosx
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Southern California
Actually in retrospect Apples current iPhone 5 is an icon after three years of the same basic look. If Apple were to re-use this same shape, size, and material it would re-inforce their confidence in its style.

As we've witnessed there's a tremendous amount of Apple enthusiasts that subscribe to Apples claim that one handed operation is essential. No phone does that better than I Phone 5.

Then finally, to quote the faithful "if you don't like it, buy Android". Now more than ever Android choices are excellent. Now their desire to push people to Android makes sense.

It all makes perfect sense. Especially at a time that Apple stock continues to slump. By playing it safe & not risking change, it will give time to see if recovery is in the cards. With Apples great capability to change as needed, sitting still and watching the competition may be just the boost Apple needs.
maxosx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:41 PM   #163
Wicked1
macrumors 68040
 
Wicked1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Jersey
iPhone X

__________________
iPhone 5 16GB White
2012 MacBook Pro 13" 2.5/4GB/240GB SSD
iPad Air 128GB/LTE White
Wicked1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:25 PM   #164
twoodcc
macrumors P6
 
twoodcc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Right side of wrong
Send a message via AIM to twoodcc Send a message via MSN to twoodcc
well i hope apple releases new stuff before June. but the iPhone 5S in june sounds nice, better than September
__________________
tville
Smarter than the average bear
twoodcc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 07:50 PM   #165
Motion2082
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
3 words - Supply & Demand!

Demand they give it to us now and they will have to supply it otherwise people will be more than happy to buy the S4 when it's released.

Apple should have made iPhone5 like their intended 6. What a waste, now look what they have done. Upset a lot of people
Motion2082 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 09:17 PM   #166
Premium1
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by graush View Post
What the heck is the "S" gonna stand for if it doesn't mean 5 " Screen?
"speed" lol

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion2082 View Post
3 words - Supply & Demand!

Demand they give it to us now and they will have to supply it otherwise people will be more than happy to buy the S4 when it's released.

Apple should have made iPhone5 like their intended 6. What a waste, now look what they have done. Upset a lot of people
I think with the ever increasing competition from other OS's and companies apple is feeling the heat. yes they are still selling a ton of devices but look how quick they refreshed the ipad and created the mini. Anything is possible with apple and I hope they once again reinvent the phone and not stick to what they have been doing.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxosx View Post
Actually in retrospect Apples current iPhone 5 is an icon after three years of the same basic look. If Apple were to re-use this same shape, size, and material it would re-inforce their confidence in its style.

As we've witnessed there's a tremendous amount of Apple enthusiasts that subscribe to Apples claim that one handed operation is essential. No phone does that better than I Phone 5.

Then finally, to quote the faithful "if you don't like it, buy Android". Now more than ever Android choices are excellent. Now their desire to push people to Android makes sense.

It all makes perfect sense. Especially at a time that Apple stock continues to slump. By playing it safe & not risking change, it will give time to see if recovery is in the cards. With Apples great capability to change as needed, sitting still and watching the competition may be just the boost Apple needs.
I think "playing it safe" like you say would actually hurt apple more than help it if nothing more than with the investors. Look how their stock is plummeting and if they wait and just release a 5s when the s4, moto x, and whatever other flagship devices are out there, it could really have the investors lose faith and the stock take even more of a hit than it already is.
Premium1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 08:27 AM   #167
dvoros
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
larger screen

Your actually admitting that Apple does not have the know-how to make a smartphone with a larger screen. They should farm this out to Samsung to help them create a 4.8-5 inch screen.
dvoros is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 04:29 PM   #168
Premium1
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvoros View Post
Your actually admitting that Apple does not have the know-how to make a smartphone with a larger screen. They should farm this out to Samsung to help them create a 4.8-5 inch screen.
Nobody said they don't have the "know how" it is more they are just playing the typical apple safe don't try anything radical when they know a minor upgrade will sell and they can save the complete redesign for next years phone.
Premium1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 07:07 AM   #169
SILen(e
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvoros View Post
Your actually admitting that Apple does not have the know-how to make a smartphone with a larger screen. They should farm this out to Samsung to help them create a 4.8-5 inch screen.
No, developing a larger device is a lot easier than a smaller device.

The minimum size of a device is preset by the size of the stuff that has to be put into the device.
SoC, SIM-card tray, cameras, microphones, loudspeakers, lots of different microcontrollers and battery.

All of these, with the sole exception of the battery, can keep the same size when you put them in a larger device.

A 5" iPhone Plus with the same resolution of the iPhone 5 (at the DPI of the retina iPad) won't need a faster SoC like the A6X, because it only has to push the same number of polygons on the same number of pixels.

It won't need a larger camera or loudspeakers and the SIM tray won't increase in size either.

By increasing the size of the display (and the device itself), the only internal component (apart from the display, but that's a given) that has to be increased in size is the battery, because a larger display requires more power.

But if you increase the size of the display by like 30% and the power requirement of the display is also increased by 30% (which is not exactly true, because the backlight would perhaps need to be redesigned), you got a lot more space for a larger battery.

You can double or triple the size of the battery (because it has only been a small part of the smaller device, but now there's so much more room) and as only the 30% larger display requires more power, you'll end up with a longer lasting battery.


That's exactly why it is so easy for Samsung and other companies to make Android devices with such "good" hardware - because they don't have to cram good hardware in a small package, they just increase the size of the device until their OMFGTROLLOLOL-SoC finally fits.

The engineers at Apple are doing a BETTER job at engineering, because they are aiming for a much more difficult target than Samsung - and so far, they've always succeeded in hitting that target.

Developing a slightly larger iPhone wouldn't be harder - it would be much easier for them.

Now ask Samsung for a smaller Galaxy S and you'll end up with the joke that is the SGS 3 Mini.
SILen(e is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2013, 03:58 PM   #170
rMBP13
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
This is effin sucks!!!!
rMBP13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2013, 04:07 PM   #171
damir00
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by SILen(e View Post
The engineers at Apple are doing a BETTER job at engineering...
Nope.

I want the bigger screen.

Engineering the wrong product is not "better" in any meaningful sense of the word.
damir00 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:44 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC