Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
When I add a new contact number, my 4S won't allow me to call from "My Contacts". Instead, it creates an email for me to send rather than calling and dialing out to that person.

I've also noticed, when I enter a new number example 1 310 123 4567, it doesn't place an open and close parenthesis (310) around the area code like it did before.

I've noticed this issue recently. I can only call recent numbers I enter to new contacts by dialing them manually from the key pad, however, the numbers that were there prior are fine.

Any ideas to resolving this issue. Thanks

Last edited:

maliu

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2010
Does it say email in the description in which you are entering phone numbers? If not try restarting your phone and see if it fixes it.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 5, 2011
Does it say email in the description in which you are entering phone numbers? If not try restarting your phone and see if it fixes it.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "email in the description".

First, I go into the Phone App, then tap on Contacts, then select a name from the Contact Lists. From there, I would select the number either Mobile or Home and it will usually start dialing.... Instead, any recent contacts I add, it will take me to a blank email page.

For example, one person I recently added, I don't even have an email listed for them, just a mobile number. When I try to call this person, it shows their phone number as their email address on the email page. Very strange.

Thanks for troubleshooting this for me.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 5, 2011
Problem Solved. I entered the phone numbers in the email field, which is why it was sending my calls to email.

----------

Thanks. That was exactly what I was doing. I had to think about that you meant by description. In did say "email" in the field I was entering the number in.
Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.