Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danadana12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2013
hi

i need advice. i have a ipad2 3g 16gb. my kid dropped it screen is busted. i can

A: continue to tape it with packing tape every now and then
B: give apple $250 to replace it
C: sell it on ebay and start over with the proceeds from that
D...... what else is a worthwhile remedy?

thank you

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
hi

i need advice. i have a ipad2 3g 16gb. my kid dropped it screen is busted. i can

A: continue to tape it with packing tape every now and then
B: give apple $250 to replace it
C: sell it on ebay and start over with the proceeds from that
D...... what else is a worthwhile remedy?

thank you

Forget taping as the damage is always in your face.

If you are going to give Apple $250 to replace it, then why not a few dollars more and get a new mini.

Then sell on Ebay to recover some cost back.

Try to fix yourself. Outcome: it works or does not work.

marcoity

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2012
Seattle
i think you should sell it on CL or Ebay. Add whatever you get on top of 250 and get mini or the 3/4gen iPad, depending on what you get on selling it.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Not sure if Apple offers AppleCare+ on $250 replacements but if they do then spend the $250 and buy AppleCare+ for it.

OR

Sell on eBay
Get a new iPad with AppleCare+ so when your kid destroys it you can replace it for $100 twice!

OR

Avoid AppleCare+ and keep it away from the kids.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Not sure if Apple offers AppleCare+ on $250 replacements but if they do then spend the $250 and buy AppleCare+ for it.

They do. If it was bought recently. As in since the ipad 3s came out. Anything before that is no Apple Care +

So my answer would be it depends on when it was bought. If it's out of warranty then no it probably isn't worth it to buy a replacement which only gets like a 60 day warranty on it (and no damage coverage in that). Be open about it being a busted screen and see who might buy it on ebay. Use the money to pay up to a mini or a new full sized iPad as one desires.

or you could chance it on one of those unauthorized repair shops. Just know that Apple won't let you buy a replacement anymore if they can spot that the screen was replaced. It's considered intentional damage at that point. So I wouldn't do it if the ipad is still under warranty. If it's not then it might be worth the risk, just make sure you are backing up anything on it you might need in case it works for a few days and then borks.

danadana12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2013
i really appreciate the information. i think i will sell it on ebay/cl see what i can get then buy a new one.

does apple let you every buy a different model? if i add to the 250 to buy a mini lets say? or it has to be like for like?

much appreciated.

NYRangers11

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2011
I thought that applecare+ has to be purchased within a month of the iPad purchase? Is that correct?

They do. If it was bought recently. As in since the ipad 3s came out. Anything before that is no Apple Care +

So my answer would be it depends on when it was bought. If it's out of warranty then no it probably isn't worth it to buy a replacement which only gets like a 60 day warranty on it (and no damage coverage in that). Be open about it being a busted screen and see who might buy it on ebay. Use the money to pay up to a mini or a new full sized iPad as one desires.

or you could chance it on one of those unauthorized repair shops. Just know that Apple won't let you buy a replacement anymore if they can spot that the screen was replaced. It's considered intentional damage at that point. So I wouldn't do it if the ipad is still under warranty. If it's not then it might be worth the risk, just make sure you are backing up anything on it you might need in case it works for a few days and then borks.

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
In general yes. But if you damage it in the first year they will let you buy it at time of incident along with your full price replacement

That is not their official policy, in fact it is the complete opposite. Please stop spreading false information. Just because it has happened on occasion is no reason to try and make it sound like it happens all the time.

itsmefudge

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2009
Middle of the Pacific
Check CL for guys who will replace the screen. I found one here in Hawaii that will do it for under $200. Just another possibility, especially if you don't NEED to upgrade.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
That is not their official policy, in fact it is the complete opposite. Please stop spreading false information. Just because it has happened on occasion is no reason to try and make it sound like it happens all the time.

I've taken in a dozen broken iPads myself as well as seen it with other folks while I was there and these were at a variety of stores in several states. So I'd say yeah it is official policy and you are the one needing to get your facts straight. Because it sure as heck would appear that yes it is official policy that you can buy Apple Care plus at time of incident in the first year with a full priced 'out of warranty' replacement. In fact there's a line for it in the app they use for the paperwork. Doesn't get more official than that. Or more 'happens all the time' than that,

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
I've taken in a dozen broken iPads myself as well as seen it with other folks while I was there and these were at a variety of stores in several states. So I'd say yeah it is official policy and you are the one needing to get your facts straight. Because it sure as heck would appear that yes it is official policy that you can buy Apple Care plus at time of incident in the first year with a full priced 'out of warranty' replacement. In fact there's a line for it in the app they use for the paperwork. Doesn't get more official than that. Or more 'happens all the time' than that,

Apple's official policy is below. Unless you can provide other documentation from Apple backing up what you state as official then be quiet.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/S4689LL/A/applecare-for-ipad said:
You have 30 days from your iPad purchase to buy AppleCare+.

thirdeyeopen666

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2007

It is the official policy.

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
Did the buyer happen to mention their intentions? Seems very strange that they would pay that much. Good for you though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.