Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:08 AM   #1
TheShadowXX
macrumors regular

iTunes Wifi Sync not working

iPhone 4 (Verizon CDMA) iOS 6.1 (jailbroken)
PC is Windows 7 (32-bit) with iTunes 11

So I plugged my iPhone into my PC, opened iTunes checked off Sync with this iPhone over Wi-Fi, (I also have the following checked off "automatically sync when this iPhone is connected", and "manually manage music".

I hit apply, plug my iPhone into power source, go to settings, general, itunes wifi sync, but the button that says "sync now" is grayed out, I can't click it. Below it says "Sync will resume when HOME-PC is available. \

I'm connected on my home wifi network, (no password)

Any help?
TheShadowXX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:32 AM   #2
MCH-1138
macrumors 6502

Is iTunes running? Try closing and reopening it. I don't have Windows, but I get the same result (grayed-out "Sync Now") if I try to sync with iTunes closed.

If that doesn't work, here is a link to Apple's support page: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4062
MCH-1138 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:44 AM   #3
TheShadowXX
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCH-1138 View Post
Is iTunes running? Try closing and reopening it. I don't have Windows, but I get the same result (grayed-out "Sync Now") if I try to sync with iTunes closed.

If that doesn't work, here is a link to Apple's support page: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4062

Yes iTunes is running. i've tried opening/closing iTunes, I've also restarted my phone, no success.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:03 AM   #4
madsci954
macrumors 68000

I've had the same issues with iTunes on my Mac. Only way I've been able to fix it is to restart my Mac and then it was fine again. I would assume this would work with a Windows PC as well.
madsci954 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 04:37 PM   #5
TheShadowXX
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsci954 View Post
I've had the same issues with iTunes on my Mac. Only way I've been able to fix it is to restart my Mac and then it was fine again. I would assume this would work with a Windows PC as well.
I've restarted both my PC and my phone. But the problem still persists
Old Feb 14, 2013, 04:54 PM   #6
MCH-1138
macrumors 6502

Are you able to initiate the wi-fi sync from within iTunes? In the OS X version, this is an option under the File menu (I believe it is File -> Devices, but don't have it in front of me).

Also, from your original post, is the "automatically sync when this iPhone is connected" option selected or is it off? If it is selected, you might try turning it off.
MCH-1138 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 06:53 PM   #7
TheShadowXX
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCH-1138 View Post
Are you able to initiate the wi-fi sync from within iTunes? In the OS X version, this is an option under the File menu (I believe it is File -> Devices, but don't have it in front of me).

Also, from your original post, is the "automatically sync when this iPhone is connected" option selected or is it off? If it is selected, you might try turning it off.
I don't know how to initiate it from within iTunes. I went to Files-> Devices, but everything is greyed out.

Just turned off automatically sync when iPhone is connected. Restarted iTunes and my phone, but no luck.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 06:58 PM   #8
Richardgm
macrumors 6502a

The only way I get this to work is by restarting the "Apple Mobile Device" service.

Start - type "services" - click on "Services" - (look for "Apple Mobile Device") - right click - restart
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:07 PM   #9
TheShadowXX
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardgm View Post
The only way I get this to work is by restarting the "Apple Mobile Device" service.

Start - type "services" - click on "Services" - (look for "Apple Mobile Device") - right click - restart
do you restart your phone or itunes after that?
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:08 PM   #10
Richardgm
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadowXX View Post
do you restart your phone or itunes after that?
Sometimes I restart iTunes.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:20 PM   #11
macrumors regular

Just love how everyone is giving out advice from the Mac side of iTunes rather than Windows. My suggestion is to reboot both devices, unplug from each other. Or reset your iPhone from the get go, and then when you do the initial sync click the sync over wifi, sometimes, it takes two or three times before it will start working. I believe it has to do with the fact, iTunes can't easily restart a sync with new data coming in and out.
Avatarshark is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 09:14 PM   #12
BadaBing!!
macrumors 6502

There is a huge thread on apple forums. I'm also having issues and so far, nobody was able to find a fix that works forever. Most of the time, the fix works only a few days
Old Feb 14, 2013, 09:35 PM   #13
TheShadowXX
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadaBing!! View Post
There is a huge thread on apple forums. I'm also having issues and so far, nobody was able to find a fix that works forever. Most of the time, the fix works only a few days
I can't even get the button to be clickable its greyed out or me.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 09:38 PM   #14
PNutts
macrumors 601

Interesting. Almost all the issues I've read are with 64 bit Windows 7. I've given up trying to get it to work.
PNutts is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 09:52 PM   #15
TheShadowXX
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNutts View Post
Interesting. Almost all the issues I've read are with 64 bit Windows 7. I've given up trying to get it to work.
lol it's so frustrating
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:25 PM   #16
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

Am running Win32 and notice it works better if iTunes is closed and re-opened between syncs.

Also mine doesn't like to WIFI sync more than once-a-day(?)
Mrbobb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 03:09 AM   #17
albertxp06
macrumors regular

I could never get iTunes WiFi sync to work with my phone. It works with my mom's iPhone 5, 3GS, and 5. It just won't work with my iPhone 5.

Yes, I've restored my phone, restarted services, computer, checked and unchecked the box, etc. I've pretty much given up at this point.

Windows 7 64bit
albertxp06 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:43 PM   #18
PNutts
macrumors 601

I'm not the search police but I don't have any links handy. Give it a Google and see what you come up with. I've spent a lot of time on this and tried all the "solutions" and none of them worked for more than a sync or two. I'll mention that the most success I saw (and it wasn't many people) was changing their iPhone's HTTP proxy setting in the WiFi network settings or changing the setting for iTunes to automatically open (?) or sync the iPhone when it connects. Some messed with Bonjour, others ran iTunes in compatibility mode, others restarted services, others adjusted if the computer can turn off WiFi to save power, others set static IP addresses, others reregistered dlls, etc.

If you get it figured out, please post your solution and I'll give it a try.
PNutts is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 01:32 AM   #19
avanpelt
macrumors 65816

I've had repeated issues with iTunes Wi-Fi sync on both a Mac running Mountain Lion and a Windows 7 64-bit PC syncing with an iPhone 5 and iPhone 3GS respectively. I finally gave up on the Wi-Fi sync and I now backup both iPhones to iCloud. iCloud backup has worked flawlessly for me so far. Highly recommend it instead of Wi-Fi syncing to iTunes.
avanpelt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 12:03 AM   #20
bigcstyle4
macrumors regular

I've also given up on getting this to work, which sucks because it worked flawlessly on my iPhone 4 with iOS 5. I'm talking every single night when I plugged it in, the sync would start right away without having to mess with iTunes. When iOS 6 came out it broke. When I got the iPhone 5 it still has never worked no matter what I did.

Windows 7 64 bit btw
bigcstyle4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 12:05 AM   #21
Carlanga
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadowXX View Post
anyone else have any suggestions?
get a mac

Try an older version of iTunes maybe?
Old Feb 17, 2013, 07:57 PM   #22
ET iPhone Home
macrumors 68020

Thanks for this tutorial. I have a 4S and MBA and it worked effortless - obviously, right? I've been synching via USB to add content. To test, added a few songs onto a Playlist in iTunes and the WiFi sync worked well and copied everything over. The troubleshooting I encountered was that I had to restart the 4S device and reopen iTunes. Once that was done, iTunes recognized my device. Prior to this it was grayed out.

Thanks guys.
iPad Air
ET iPhone Home is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:22 AM   #23
gav28
macrumors newbie

I had the exact same problem, my Iphone 5 would not sync over wifi. Under iTunes 11, I connected the iPhone via USB and noticed within iTunes the options for the iPhone device there was a check-box that said "Sync with this iPhone over Wi-Fi". I checked that et voila, job done, I can now sync over wifi.

I have absolutely no idea how that option got unchecked, but thought it may help some?
gav28 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 03:37 PM   #24
golfpr089
macrumors newbie

Win7 64 Help

I've had trouble with this too, and have only had luck going to control panel > uninstall, and right clicking iTunes and clicking 'repair'. Works for a few days, then repeat. Annoying, but better than nothing.
golfpr089 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 06:09 PM   #25
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfpr089 View Post
I've had trouble with this too
One more to the pile.

Recently I read WIFI sync was not original Apple, some independent App developer made it then Apple kicked him out but he kept selling this App under Cydia and made tons$, then Apple eventually called him in, and go, hey cool App can we hire you? (he said no), but apparently Apple bought his code (and maybe mucked it up?)

Maybe we should find the original guy and ask if he can fix!

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone