Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Feb 15, 2013, 08:42 PM   #1
hammertimer
macrumors newbie

What Apps do people use for Gmail Mail, Calendar and Contacts

Hello,

I just upgraded from my iPhone 3GS to an iPhone 5 and discovered that Google are no longer allowing new devices to connect to their ActiveSync service

In the past I've had my mail, calendar and contacts all synced using the Exchange feature with push for each.

I'm just wondering that 'others' are doing with regards to have mail, calendar and contacts all working with push messages on their iPhones?

I'm currently testing out the Gmail app but so far I'm not loving it.

Maybe it's time to migrate my mail to an Exchange hosted service.

Thanks.
hammertimer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:25 PM   #2
TacticalDesire
macrumors 68020

I use my gmail with the stock.mail app and it works fine for me. I also have the gmail app installed but don't use it much.
Slate iPad Mini 16gb (iOS 8.1)
TacticalDesire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 12:17 AM   #3
Prime85
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertimer View Post
Hello,

I just upgraded from my iPhone 3GS to an iPhone 5 and discovered that Google are no longer allowing new devices to connect to their ActiveSync service

In the past I've had my mail, calendar and contacts all synced using the Exchange feature with push for each.

I'm just wondering that 'others' are doing with regards to have mail, calendar and contacts all working with push messages on their iPhones?

Thanks.
I love the stock mail app since I have about 4 emails (not all gmail) and now that it allows for different signatures for each there is no reason for me not to use it.

For calendar I use the stock calendar and fantastical (which is an amazing app, I have it on both my Mac and iPhone) which saves all of my schedules to iCloud. I do have a shared google calendar though but my exchange account still works.

I also use stock contacts (it's easy to transfer your contacts to iCloud, just google "transfer google contacts to iCloud" you should be able to find some easy directions)
Prime85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 01:46 PM   #4
macMD
macrumors 6502

Since Apple and Google both use CalDav and CardDav, what desktop app would you use if you had a Windows computer to properly sync with either Gmail or iCloud?
macMD is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:30 PM   #5
hammertimer
macrumors newbie

Thanks guys, I also love the default mail, calendar and contacts app that comes with the iPhone and have been using it successfully for the last 3.5 years. However, recently Google have blocked new phones from using their ActiveSync service which I've found limits my opinions for 'push' (particularly with Mail).

macMD - On both Windows and Mac I'd prefer to the use the Gmail web interface.
hammertimer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:34 PM   #6
dictoresno
macrumors 68020

i have found that gmail, when set up as IMAP and not exchange through the built in mail app, still delivers mail within 2-3 minutes. sure it isnt immediate like push, but 2-3 minutes even when its on 15 min fetch isnt that bad.
dictoresno is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:52 PM   #7
QuarterSwede
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by dictoresno View Post
i have found that gmail, when set up as IMAP and not exchange through the built in mail app, still delivers mail within 2-3 minutes. sure it isnt immediate like push, but 2-3 minutes even when its on 15 min fetch isnt that bad.
Yeah, it does seem like that. My guess is that it connects whenever another function (system or app) needs wifi. I'm fairly certain that's one way iOS conserves battery power.

OP, I normally use the default apps and Exchange but ever since the 6.1 Exchange battery drain bug I've switched it off and been using IMAP for Mail, CALDAV for Calendars and CARDAV for Contacts. Works fine and my battery life is kick'n again.

"Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world." -- Martin Luther
QuarterSwede is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:58 PM   #8
dictoresno
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuarterSwede View Post
Yeah, it does seem like that. My guess is that it connects whenever another function (system or app) needs wifi. I'm fairly certain that's one way iOS conserves battery power.

OP, I normally use the default apps and Exchange but ever since the 6.1 Exchange battery drain bug I've switched it off and been using IMAP for Mail, CALDAV for Calendars and CARDAV for Contacts. Works fine and my battery life is kick'n again.
i was unaware of this battery bug. ill have to check this out. i guess theres a thread here about it. i have noticed my battery tanking a little lately.
dictoresno is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 09:31 PM   #9
Prime85
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by macMD View Post
Since Apple and Google both use CalDav and CardDav, what desktop app would you use if you had a Windows computer to properly sync with either Gmail or iCloud?
When i had my Dell I mostly used Outlook for both mail and calendar. Now that i have my mac i find it much easier to use the stock mail app and the stock calendar app (with Fantastical just as a quicker way to check my schedule)
Old Feb 16, 2013, 11:16 PM   #10
balzmcfearson
macrumors member

I decided to use the Gmail app, and migrate contacts and calendar to iCloud. All push. Works flawlessly.

Quote:
Hello,

Thanks.
balzmcfearson is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 12:14 AM   #11
jediistar
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by balzmcfearson View Post
I decided to use the Gmail app, and migrate contacts and calendar to iCloud. All push. Works flawlessly.
This is exactly what I've done as well, with the same level of success. A best of both worlds if you will.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:32 PM   #12
danielceleste
macrumors regular

I was fortunate to get into Orchestra's Mailbox app relatively early, and I'm enjoying it.
danielceleste is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:08 AM   #13
Jimmy James
macrumors 68000

Mail, calendar & contacts.
Jimmy James is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:22 AM   #14
JAT
macrumors 603

Quote:
Hello,

What is this about? It still works for me. Switched to a 5 around Dec 1.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:00 PM   #15
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

I use the stock mail app for my gmail. It works fine, no problems.
ucfgrad93 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:17 PM   #16
jason2811
macrumors 6502a

Follow instructions here: http://www.theverge.com/2012/12/5/37...-iphone-how-to
jason2811 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 02:41 PM   #17
ManicMarc
macrumors regular

Stock all the way, although recently switched to Outlook.com
Old Feb 18, 2013, 04:27 PM   #18
shenfrey
macrumors 6502a

Default mail app. It's the best mail app in my opinion
Apple TV (2012), IPhone 5, iPad (4th Gen)
shenfrey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 08:02 PM   #19
xraydoc
macrumors Demi-God

I bought myself a domain and a Google Apps account. Exchange Sync still works (for new devices) from the paid Google Apps accounts and I now have control over my email address (i.e., I can switch away from Google to something else if I choose - or even host my own server - and keep the same email address). I set my "old" gmail address to forward everything to my new address so nothing is lost. And replies will appear to come from whatever address to which they were originally sent.

Costs a few bucks a year but its not unreasonable.

However, I use this just for email. Calendars, reminders & contacts are hosted for now on iCloud.

I use the stock cal/contacts/reminders app. I use the gmail app for my personal gmail (better label features) and the stock email app for business mail.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone