Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Feb 16, 2013, 11:09 PM   #1
mikeatmacrumors

New iPad owner looking to quell some paranoia

Hi all,

Glad to be joining the forums. I bought a shiny new iPad 4th gen last weekend and enjoying it thoroughly. Last night, our idiot cat leaped off a table, knocking over a glass of water which hit the floor, and a spray of water hit the front of my iPad which was laying in the factory box. No water got in any inputs; only a bunch of droplets on the screen which were promptly cleaned off with a paper towel and then I used my cleaning cloth to polish it off. A little moisture got around the home button, but nothing major. It certainly wasn't submerged or anything, etc... I'm assuming I won't be needing to shlepp my iPad to the nearest Apple store, but what say the iPad gurus around here?

Thanks in advance,

Mike
mikeatmacrumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 11:22 PM   #2
overanalyzer
macrumors 6502a

I think it'll be fine. I've done far worse to iPhones and iPads over the years without ever having any problems.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 04:14 PM   #3
Aspasia
macrumors 6502a

Might be a good time to consider insuring that new iPad. Worth Avenue Group covers liquid submersion, among other things.

http://www.worthavegroup.com/ipad-pr...losses-covered
Aspasia is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:41 PM   #4
HazyCloud
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspasia View Post
Might be a good time to consider insuring that new iPad. Worth Avenue Group covers liquid submersion, among other things.

http://www.worthavegroup.com/ipad-pr...losses-covered
Another vote for WAG. I've had insurance with them on my last 2 iPads.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:39 AM   #5
throAU
macrumors 68030

I've resurrected an iphone that was fully immersed in water before.

your ipad will be fine.
throAU is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:09 AM   #6
mikeatmacrumors

Thanks for all the kind replies. I ended up returning it and getting a new one yesterday. But yeah, should consider ins!
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:34 AM   #7
FrancoisC
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeatmacrumors View Post
Thanks for all the kind replies. I ended up returning it and getting a new one yesterday. But yeah, should consider ins!

Did you seriously exchange your iPad because of that little incident!?

Or were you having other problems with it?
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:53 AM   #8
mikeatmacrumors

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancoisC View Post
Did you seriously exchange your iPad because of that little incident!?

Or were you having other problems with it?

Yeah, I did. I was still within my window to return it. I'd rather do that than obsess over things. Happy I did too. Obviously I won't leave the new one laying around with my wife's crazy-ass cat anymore.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:05 AM   #9
HazyCloud
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Yeah, I did. I was still within my window to return it. I'd rather do that than obsess over things. Happy I did too. Obviously I won't leave the new one laying around with my wife's crazy-ass cat anymore.
The problem with that is you returned it thinking there may be an issue with it and that someone else can have it. That's not right. Returning a product because you did something to it is wrong. Whether or not you personally did it doesn't matter. You didn't return it for a problem with the device, you returned it because of something *you* did to it.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:07 AM   #10
mikeatmacrumors

I informed the retailer that it was overheating so they wouldn't restock it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazyCloud View Post
The problem with that is you returned it thinking there may be an issue with it and that someone else can have it. That's not right. Returning a product because you did something to it is wrong. Whether or not you personally did it doesn't matter. You didn't return it for a problem with the device, you returned it because of something *you* did to it.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:15 AM   #11
HazyCloud
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Lol, so on top of returning it, you lied? Instead of all this you could have just purchased insurance for less than $60 bucks and had the peace of mind. Instead, you returned a product that wasn't broken and lied about why you were returning it.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:19 AM   #12
mikeatmacrumors

yeah, If I had purchased the ins in the first place, this event wouldn't take place. At any rate, thanks for your input. Have a good day.

Quote:
Lol, so on top of returning it, you lied? Instead of all this you could have just purchased insurance for less than $60 bucks and had the peace of mind. Instead, you returned a product that wasn't broken and lied about why you were returning it.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:30 AM   #13
HazyCloud
macrumors 68030

Quote:
yeah, If I had purchased the ins in the first place, this event wouldn't take place. At any rate, thanks for your input. Have a good day.
Insurance can be purchased anytime after you buy your device, only AppleCare+ needs to be purchased within 30 days.

Also, you're the one that came here explaining how and why you returned it. If you can't handle some flack, don't post about what you just did.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:01 PM   #14
Binarymix
macrumors 6502a

Gonna have one hell of a messy screened iPad if you never allow any water to hit the screen.

Nothing would have happened to the iPad. I soak my screen with cleaner, or water when cleaning it, and nothing has ever been damaged.

----------

Quote:
Insurance can be purchased anytime after you buy your device, only AppleCare+ needs to be purchased within 30 days.

Also, you're the one that came here explaining how and why you returned it. If you can't handle some flack, don't post about what you just did.
Yeah, since he was within the return window (14 days?) he could have just taken it into the Apple Store, and had it insured with AppleCare+. Then, if anything did in fact happen from some water mist, it would have been covered.
Binarymix is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:30 PM   #15
Aspasia
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
In honor of President's Day:

Honesty is the first chapter of the book wisdom.

― Thomas Jefferson
Aspasia is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting