Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:02 PM   #1
92jlee
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Cardiff, Wales, UK
Send a message via MSN to 92jlee
Price

Hi guys, I'm sure this has been brought up all over the place but I was just having a browse and looking at the new iPod touch and I cannot get my head around the price.

My nexus 7 which is bigger and more powerful (but too big to use as an MP3 player!) cost 100 less.. How does this make sense?

Can any of you justify the price or have a reason why its worth that much?
__________________
| Mac Pro 1,1 upgraded to X5355 | PowerBook G4 17 1.50Ghz | iMac G4 1.25Ghz |
92jlee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:11 PM   #2
urban.spaceman
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: I'm a backpacker, so I could be anywhere
Its a bit more than an MP3 player! When you spend your 250/330 you essentially get yourself an iPhone without the contract. Free wifi pretty easy to come by in the UK and once you have that, use Skype or another app and it does everything an iPhone does. Plus the camera is great.

Worth every penny for me. (64GB version; though I did get it for 240 off eBay..)
urban.spaceman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 09:52 PM   #3
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603
 
Jessica Lares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Near Dallas, Texas, USA
The Android tablets that are done by both Amazon and Google are done so at a profit loss. They are hoping that you will buy apps and content that will make up in the loss. In the case of myself, Amazon made a $1,000+ profit off me.

The iPods are also not made of general parts. There are easily a couple of tablets that use the same chips as the Nexus 7. Even the S2 Skyrocket I have is the same exact thing, except labeled as simply the S2 with a different wireless chip for T-Mobile. There are tons of tablets with the original Kindle Fire TI chip too. Nothing shares the insides of the iPod Touch, except the camera, and some other small pieces. So they have to be made on a per demand basis.
__________________
Have You Hugged Your Mac Today?
Daily Expressions | iMac G4 | Late 2011 13" MacBook Pro | iPod Nano (7G) | iPad Mini | iPod Touch (5G) | iPhone 5S
Jessica Lares is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 11:36 PM   #4
TacticalDesire
macrumors 68020
 
TacticalDesire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
The Android tablets that are done by both Amazon and Google are done so at a profit loss. They are hoping that you will buy apps and content that will make up in the loss. In the case of myself, Amazon made a $1,000+ profit off me.

The iPods are also not made of general parts. There are easily a couple of tablets that use the same chips as the Nexus 7. Even the S2 Skyrocket I have is the same exact thing, except labeled as simply the S2 with a different wireless chip for T-Mobile. There are tons of tablets with the original Kindle Fire TI chip too. Nothing shares the insides of the iPod Touch, except the camera, and some other small pieces. So they have to be made on a per demand basis.
Except the iPad 2, iphone 4s,iPad mini, and ATV3. Sorry but I don't know how anyone with a reasonable understanding about iOS devices can claim nothing uses the insides of the touch but the camera. And the s2 skyrocket being the same as the nexus 7 internally? I don't mean to be rude. Perhaps you could clarify?

----------

As for me justifying the price of the 5 gen touch, its been the same price for 32 and 64gb options since the 3rd gen iPod so I'm not sure why suddenly its a big deal. I wanted a new iOS device with 32gb of storage for music, movies, games and use as a PDA and the touch fit the bill.

Last edited by TacticalDesire; Feb 16, 2013 at 11:51 PM.
TacticalDesire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 01:13 AM   #5
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603
 
Jessica Lares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalDesire View Post
Except the iPad 2, iphone 4s,iPad mini, and ATV3. Sorry but I don't know how anyone with a reasonable understanding about iOS devices can claim nothing uses the insides of the touch but the camera. And the s2 skyrocket being the same as the nexus 7 internally? I don't mean to be rude. Perhaps you could clarify?
What I mean is that the iPad 4 is the only device with that A6X chip. iPod Touch and iPad Mini are the only devices in current production that have A5 dual-core 32 nm (iPhone 4S has 45 nm, and Apple TV is single core). It's custom designed by Apple, and is only found in Apple products, and only for a small time frame.

The Nexus 7 shares the same Tegra chip with at least eight devices, including the Microsoft Surface. Samsung also does the screens for the Nokia Windows Phones, some HTC Android devices, and others. Low end devices are made from scraps from the last two years, and the only real difference is that they have different casing, names, and brands.
__________________
Have You Hugged Your Mac Today?
Daily Expressions | iMac G4 | Late 2011 13" MacBook Pro | iPod Nano (7G) | iPad Mini | iPod Touch (5G) | iPhone 5S
Jessica Lares is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 01:27 AM   #6
mrsir2009
macrumors 604
 
mrsir2009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia
The Nexus7 is sold at cost in order to be competitive in the market (Google makes their money via software and advertising, anyway) - Apple has a fat profit margin on all of their hardware products, which is why the iPod Touch costs so much.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban.spaceman View Post
Its a bit more than an MP3 player! When you spend your 250/330 you essentially get yourself an iPhone without the contract. Free wifi pretty easy to come by in the UK and once you have that, use Skype or another app and it does everything an iPhone does. Plus the camera is great.

Worth every penny for me. (64GB version; though I did get it for 240 off eBay..)
You could do the same on the Nexus7, though... If Google ever decide to bring out a Nexus4 or something, and sell it at cost, it'd be an iPod Touch killer
mrsir2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Carrier: Investors flee telecom on price-war fears after AT&T price cut EbookReader iPhone 9 Feb 4, 2014 12:22 PM
CONFIRMED: Best Buy Will Price Match Walmart's iPhone Price! (YMMV) andrewpturko iPhone 26 Sep 23, 2013 06:30 PM
AirBnB.com removing sort by price, and now allowing only step-wise price increments katewes Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion 10 Jul 7, 2013 12:55 AM
Best Buy price matching education price & student offer. idencustom MacBook Air 58 Jan 21, 2013 07:18 AM
Reserved my iPhone 5 at upgrade price! But can I paid full price once I get to Apple? aziatiklover iPhone 22 Sep 30, 2012 09:33 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:48 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC