Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Jan 8, 2013, 09:39 PM   #1
apatel87
macrumors regular

Take an existing wireless network and create your own

Hi I have a general wireless network as part of my apartment complex that is shared over the entire apartment complex. It works well independently with my separate devices but I have a NAS that I would like to get on my own network and my computer and iOS device does not see my Apple TV on the same network even though it is for Airplay. I have an Airport Extreme and I want to capture the current wireless signal and create my own network. This will allow me to connect my NAS to my devices and allow me to Airplay. I can extend a network but I do not think this is the same as creating my own network. Thanks! Any help would be much appreciated.
apatel87 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 09:17 PM   #2
glenthompson
macrumors 6502a

Use a wireless access point and feed the ethernet cable to the wan port of the airport. Set up your own network on the airport and no one outside can see any of the devices on your network. Make sure the channels you use for wifi aren't used nearby.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 09:31 PM   #3
takeshi74
macrumors 601

Addressed above but you need two wireless devices. One needs to be a "client" on your apartment's network. The other acts as the access point for your own network.

Last edited by dejo; Jan 10, 2013 at 02:23 AM. Reason: Quoted post deleted.
takeshi74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 10:05 PM   #4
awair
macrumors member

There are a couple of routers that will accept 'WiFi as WAN' and turn public into a private net, otherwise you need a second access point/router.

Cradlepoint CBR400 does this, & the now obsolete Linksys WTR54GS (not WRT!).

I believe in both cases that WiFi speed drops to a lower throughput.
awair is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 12:44 AM   #5
apatel87
macrumors regular

Thanks for all of the advice. I decided to buy this device http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/14/s...uter-repeater/
as it will allow me to create a client but then I run into another problem. The network I am creating into mine has a generic SSID and password and then when i open my browser I am prompted to enter my email and password. If I do not enter that information when i open the browser the network will not work. With that said how i can enter that information when I trying to create a wireless client with the above device? thanks!
Old Feb 17, 2013, 03:15 AM   #6
JKColo22
macrumors regular

Do you actually have the device yet? I'm curious as to whether the login page just pops up when you connect your laptop wirelessly. Given that it was reviewed as useful for hotel rooms I would think it should operate that way.
JKColo22 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:01 AM   #7
apatel87
macrumors regular

Hi Jkolo, I do not have the device yet since I did not want to buy it unless I knew it would work but I guess you are right that most hotels have a login page while the SSID has not password. I might just bite the bullet and try. What do you think

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater