Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Feb 17, 2013, 01:50 AM   #1
Coola
macrumors newbie

iMac 680MX and Guild Wars 2

Hello all,

I'm interested in purchasing the iMac 27 with the 680MX for everyday work and playing Guild Wars 2 on the side. So for any iMac 27 owners with (or without) the 680MX, that play Guild Wars 2 - how does it hold up and what settings are you able to play the game on?

Also - I am curious as to what resolution is best for the game.

Thanks for your help!
Coola is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 01:56 AM   #2
Serban
macrumors 68000

The native resolution will be the best..so if you buy the 27" you will play the game at 2440
Serban is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 02:09 AM   #3
Rockondevil
macrumors member

I can actually answer a question :P

I have Guild Wars 2 and the 680MX and the game runs perfect for me at the native resolution. I am yet to have any issues with it so yeah I hope that helps

Not sure what else I can say haha.
Rockondevil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 03:34 AM   #4
leman
macrumors 68040

Is it under OS X or Windows? Or both?
leman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:32 AM   #5
Coola
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockondevil View Post
I can actually answer a question :P

I have Guild Wars 2 and the 680MX and the game runs perfect for me at the native resolution. I am yet to have any issues with it so yeah I hope that helps

Not sure what else I can say haha.
Could you tell me what settings you play on and at what resolution, what your fps is? Really curious to see if Guild Wars 2 needs to run on the 1920 x 1080 or does it just run natively. Also - as leman asked, are you running the Mac client or bootcamp?

Really appreciate it, thanks!
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:44 AM   #6
Serban
macrumors 68000

guild wars 2 run max out on both machines native resolution. I mean on 21.5" imac with 650M at 1920*1080 and native on 27" on 680mx
Serban is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 02:57 PM   #7
Garemz
macrumors regular

Is guild wars a monthly payment game or one time purchase?

How does the mac client run?
Garemz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 03:03 PM   #8
Gavzooka
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garemz View Post

It's one time purchase. Extras can be brought in game but not needed. Runs fine on my iMac although it does slow in busier areas (drops to about 30FPS though...not below).
Old Feb 17, 2013, 03:08 PM   #9
leman
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garemz View Post

Its one time purchase with micro-transaction for cosmetic stuff. The Mac client performance is at around 70% of the Windows client.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:45 AM   #10
Bolteh
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by leman View Post
The Mac client performance is at around 70% of the Windows client.
I actually found the opposite to be true on my old late 2009 iMac (with the Radeon HD 4850). The Mac client ran slightly better (roughly + 5fps) than Windows on the exact same settings.

Though I didn't play at native resolution (used 1920*1080 instead of 2560*1440) on either OS, so that might be the reason.
Bolteh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:56 AM   #11
leman
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolteh View Post
I actually found the opposite to be true on my old late 2009 iMac (with the Radeon HD 4850). The Mac client ran slightly better (roughly + 5fps) than Windows on the exact same settings.

Though I didn't play at native resolution (used 1920*1080 instead of 2560*1440) on either OS, so that might be the reason.
True, I forgot about it - Radeon users consistently report similar (or higher) performance on OS X. Then again, Radeon users on Windows often complain of low performance I was referring to the current gen with Nvidia GPUs, which seem to lose lots of performance with OS X drivers...
Old Feb 18, 2013, 04:14 PM   #12
Rockondevil
macrumors member

This is the settings I use whilst playing. Keep in mind the FPS can go down to 25-30 depending on what is happening on screen.

Also I realise it was answered above but Guild Wars is a one time purchase game and if you choose to you can purchase other extra stuff in-game but it isn't necessary. This alone makes it better than anything with a subscription for me.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 06:20 PM   #13
Coola
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockondevil View Post
This is the settings I use whilst playing. Keep in mind the FPS can go down to 25-30 depending on what is happening on screen.

Also I realise it was answered above but Guild Wars is a one time purchase game and if you choose to you can purchase other extra stuff in-game but it isn't necessary. This alone makes it better than anything with a subscription for me.
Hey thanks for the response! Are those settings set to Auto-Detect or did you choose them yourself? And have you tried the 1920 x 1080 resolution, if so is it any better?

Really appreciate the info, thanks!
Old Feb 18, 2013, 07:06 PM   #14
leman
macrumors 68040

Why only medium on textures? Going max setting there should not affect the performance.

BTW, is it the OS X client? I see that high-res textures are greyed out...
Old Feb 18, 2013, 07:10 PM   #15
Rockondevil
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola View Post
Hey thanks for the response! Are those settings set to Auto-Detect or did you choose them yourself? And have you tried the 1920 x 1080 resolution, if so is it any better?

Really appreciate the info, thanks!
I chose those myself and just turned down a few I didn't find as necessary to slightly improve my FPS.
As for using different resolutions I haven't actually played using any others however I did just turn all the other options on whilst standing still and my FPS did not change at all, at least nothing worth noting (maybe 1 or 2 difference).

Quote:
Originally Posted by leman View Post
Why only medium on textures? Going max setting there should not affect the performance.

BTW, is it the OS X client? I see that high-res textures are greyed out...
It won't give me the option for High res textures, in the drop down menu it only has Low and Medium (possibly a Mac client thing?).

Also yes that character high-res box is greyed out also which I am also guessing is a Mac thing...

Pretty positive the Mac client is still classed as a Beta version and is still a W.I.P.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:13 PM   #16
turtlez
Banned

I tried out Guild Wars 2 just to test my 680mx and it ran great on high settings with native resolution.
turtlez is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 11:54 AM   #17
nosnhojm
macrumors member

I am running the Guild Wars 2 mac beta client on my 27", 675mx at native resolution with everything turned to to high. I'm getting ~45 fps, and the game runs great.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 06:06 PM   #18
rigid
macrumors regular

This may be a stupid question but at 1440p can you even see jagged edges to warrant enabling FXAA? I feel like disabling that would be a huge performance gain and unnoticeable.
rigid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 06:31 PM   #19
WilliamG
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigid View Post
This may be a stupid question but at 1440p can you even see jagged edges to warrant enabling FXAA? I feel like disabling that would be a huge performance gain and unnoticeable.
I was going to say the same thing. I usually turn off any AA when games don't run at 60fps. And shadows, too, can go down to medium/low depending on the game/frame-rate.

And vsync = ON, or I won't even play the game. Unless screen tearing is your idea of a fun time.

It's clear people have different tolerances for these things, but 25-30fps is not acceptable to me "at times." It needs to be a pretty darn consistent frame-rate for me to play a game.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 06:49 PM   #20
rigid
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
I was going to say the same thing. I usually turn off any AA when games don't run at 60fps. And shadows, too, can go down to medium/low depending on the game/frame-rate.

And vsync = ON, or I won't even play the game. Unless screen tearing is your idea of a fun time.

It's clear people have different tolerances for these things, but 25-30fps is not acceptable to me "at times." It needs to be a pretty darn consistent frame-rate for me to play a game.
Vsync is also good because it will force your computer to not draw more than 60 fps...if you have that problem where your computer draws 100+ fps for no reason lol.
rigid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 07:28 PM   #21
WilliamG
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigid View Post
Vsync is also good because it will force your computer to not draw more than 60 fps...if you have that problem where your computer draws 100+ fps for no reason lol.
Right. Why let your GPU heat up for no reason? NEVER understood that. The iMac has a 60hz display, people! It can't display over 60fps!

*sigh*

Whatever. It's their iMac.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 12:48 AM   #22
Rockondevil
macrumors member

When I turn AA off it doesn't seem to change FPS nor the quality of the graphics so it's a meh to me.

As for Vertical Sync it drops my FPS down to 30 - 40...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post

For the 25 - 30 FPS comment I find it OK for the FPS to drop to that in MMO games purely because of the world size and how much is happening. Other games I wouldn't be as happy with.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 01:01 AM   #23
WilliamG
macrumors 601

Try shadows.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac