Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Feb 16, 2013, 12:15 PM   #101
Squadleader
Banned

Looks like your right....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	303_446535375416093_1532453952_n.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	397323  

Last edited by dejo; Feb 16, 2013 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Quoted post removed.
Squadleader is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 12:20 PM   #102
Mac'nCheese
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillie View Post
Drunk driving is illegal, yet people still do it. .
But people do it less. So making it illegal does help. And we catch people doing it, we can throw them in jail and get them off the streets. That old "well this is illegal and people still do it" argument is ridiculous. What's the answer then, nothing should be illegal cause some people will still do it. We make things illegal to cut down on it happening and to be able to punish those who still do it not because we think no one will even do that again, ever.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squadleader View Post
Why is Obamacare in that picture? It hasn't even fully kicked in yet and won't until 2014. Just any excuse to bash the devil, huh?

Last edited by dejo; Feb 16, 2013 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Fixed quote.
Mac'nCheese is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 01:08 PM   #103
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac'nCheese View Post
That old "well this is illegal and people still do it" argument is ridiculous. What's the answer then, nothing should be illegal cause some people will still do it.
Exactly.

All laws "punish" (a word gun advocates like to use) the law abiders by banning them from doing something while outlaws flaunt the law and do it anyway.

That's the way it's worked since laws began.

They act like gun restrictions invented that concept.
citizenzen is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 01:09 PM   #104
MrWillie
macrumors 65816

Quote:
But people do it less. So making it illegal does help. And we catch people doing it, we can throw them in jail and get them off the streets. That old "well this is illegal and people still do it" argument is ridiculous. What's the answer then, nothing should be illegal cause some people will still do it. We make things illegal to cut down on it happening and to be able to punish those who still do it not because we think no one will even do that again, ever.

----------

Why is Obamacare in that picture? It hasn't even fully kicked in yet and won't until 2014. Just any excuse to bash the devil, huh?
Is it down ? Anyway, that's my point. Why are more useless gun laws (Useless gun law = any gun laws that only effect honest law abiding citizens), going to reduce violence ? You still haven't addressed the violence issue.

Likewise when you quoted me, you left out the part where I stated that alcohol is still legal. Yes drunk driving is illegal. Yes people get suspended licenses. Yet people still get another DUI charge while their license is suspended from a previous charge. You get people with the court ordered breathalyzer in their car asking others to blow in it for them. "Here, let me drive, I don't drink. No I am ok, then why the **** don't you blow into it yourself ?"

I know a lady that's doing 25 years, and I know a dude that's doing 50 (with no chance of parol), yet this still doesn't stop others that know them from driving drunk. What is the core issue of the self destructive behavior ?

Oh, if Obamacare is so great, why did Obama exclude himself from it ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenzen View Post
Exactly.

All laws "punish" (a word gun advocates like to use) the law abiders by banning them from doing something while outlaws flaunt the law and do it anyway.

That's the way it's worked since laws began.

They act like gun restrictions invented that concept.
No, not true. Would you mug someone ? Or rape your neighbor ? Anti-rape and mugging laws have no effect on me. We have these laws because there are people that do this crap, and there is something to use against them when they are brought before a judge.

Now, lets take (if I remember correctly) Ohio. A woman buys her husband cold medicine. In the same week, she buys her adult daughter cold medicine. (From the same store.) She has now gone over the limit. Two weeks later the Sheriff's office come by, knocks her door off the hinges, and raids her home. Of course she is not cooking meth, but is still hauled off to jail. No criminal intent even necessary. And of course crystal meth is still widely available on the street. The over the counter cold medicine laws are an example of laws that only effect law abiding citizens. Meth houses still have access to their supplies, and the honest citizen is restricted. Just like any gun laws other than the ones that violent law breakers and mentally ill should not be able to access weapons.

Last edited by MrWillie; Feb 16, 2013 at 02:00 PM.
MrWillie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 02:28 PM   #105
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
No, not true. Would you mug someone ? Or rape your neighbor ? Anti-rape and mugging laws have no effect on me. We have these laws because there are people that do this crap, and there is something to use against them when they are brought before a judge.
I'm not sure what you mean by, "[these] laws have no effect on me."

Could you please explain?

Quote:
The over the counter cold medicine laws are an example of laws that only effect law abiding citizens. Meth houses still have access to their supplies, and the honest citizen is restricted. Just like any gun laws other than the ones that violent law breakers and mentally ill should not be able to access weapons.
If over the counter cold medicine laws "only effect law abiding citizens" then I would expect two things ...

1. I would expect that only law abiding citizen have been arrested or prosecuted for breaking this law. I have a hard time believing that is true.

2. I would expect that the procurement of supplies necessary to cook meth are just as easy to obtain as purchasing a product in any store. Again, I have a hard time believing that is true.
citizenzen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 04:54 PM   #106
MrWillie
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean by, "[these] laws have no effect on me."

Could you please explain?
Sure, NP. I am not a mugger, so if they change the sentencing from 5 years in prison to ten years in prison, or they add aggravated to the charges because a woman fell down and broke her arm while her purse was being snatched, how does that effect me ? It doesn't, until I go and snatch a purse or mug someone. I as a law abiding citizen do not fall under any anti-purse snatching or mugging laws until I snatch a purse, ie willfully commit a crime. Now I am a criminal and the law takes effect over me, as it was designed to. It keeps a criminal off the streets and may or may not make someone else think twice about committing that crime.

Quote:
If over the counter cold medicine laws "only effect law abiding citizens" then I would expect two things ...

1. I would expect that only law abiding citizen have been arrested or prosecuted for breaking this law. I have a hard time believing that is true.

2. I would expect that the procurement of supplies necessary to cook meth are just as easy to obtain as purchasing a product in any store. Again, I have a hard time believing that is true.
Fact is that someone was already wrongfully arrested. I don't know the outcome, hopefully the DA or the judge was sensible and let it go, but that doesn't change that fact that her home was raided and she was hauled off.

Fact is I don't have to be a meth manufactor to have this stupid law affect me. Fact is I all have to do is buy a pack of Sudafed for my adult daughter one day and a pack for my other adult daughter the next. I am not even a meth cook, and meth is still easily purchased on the streets. (Ok, I do see the point of it to a certain degree, it should be kept behind the counter, ask the pharmacist. That way when you are acting suspicious, the cops can be called. This is how two clowns that were working together in my state got busted. The pharmacist called the cops.)

We have a law that states felons can't possess a firearm. In Louisiana they can't even be in the same house as a felon. (I cannot be a felon and my wife possess a firearm, unless it is kept off premises and I do not ever have access to it. The it's mine not his doesn't work here, and I agree with that totally.) So if you pass a law limiting someone to say 100 rounds of ammo or even one gun purchase a month, who will that effect ?
Old Feb 16, 2013, 05:04 PM   #107
Mac'nCheese
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Is it down ? Anyway, that's my point. Why are more useless gun laws (Useless gun law = any gun laws that only effect honest law abiding citizens), going to reduce violence ? You still haven't addressed the violence issue.

Likewise when you quoted me, you left out the part where I stated that alcohol is still legal. Yes drunk driving is illegal. Yes people get suspended licenses. Yet people still get another DUI charge while their license is suspended from a previous charge. You get people with the court ordered breathalyzer in their car asking others to blow in it for them. "Here, let me drive, I don't drink. No I am ok, then why the **** don't you blow into it yourself ?"

I know a lady that's doing 25 years, and I know a dude that's doing 50 (with no chance of parol), yet this still doesn't stop others that know them from driving drunk. What is the core issue of the self destructive behavior ?
I'm not saying there are bad laws. I'm not saying the proposed gun laws are good or bad. I'm just saying I don't agree with any statement like "drunk driving is illegal but people do it". You missed my point. You can argue if a particular law is good or bad but to say let's not make any laws cause they don't work is silly.
Quote:
I didn't know he did and I never said if it was good or bad.Again, you missed my point. Why was it in that poster if it hasn't been enacted yet? You're blaming obamacare for all the deaths listed in that poster....doesn't make sense.
Quote:

Now, lets take (if I remember correctly) Ohio. A woman buys her husband cold medicine. In the same week, she buys her adult daughter cold medicine. (From the same store.) She has now gone over the limit. Two weeks later the Sheriff's office come by, knocks her door off the hinges, and raids her home. Of course she is not cooking meth, but is still hauled off to jail. No criminal intent even necessary. And of course crystal meth is still widely available on the street. The over the counter cold medicine laws are an example of laws that only effect law abiding citizens. Meth houses still have access to their supplies, and the honest citizen is restricted. Just like any gun laws other than the ones that violent law breakers and mentally ill should not be able to access weapons.
Again, you don't know if just the honest citizen is restricted because how do you how many people want to buy more cold medicine to make meth but now can't. What a ridiculous thing to think you know. You don't know how many people don't drink and drive not because its dangerous but because they don't want to get caught.
Mac'nCheese is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 06:17 PM   #108
jnpy!$4g3cwk
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
(refer back to the previous Squadleader posting).

So, the problem with listing raw "deaths" is that it doesn't show how much someone's life span has been reduced. Normally, when looking at risks, one factors in the age of the person. Suboptimal healthcare for someone in their 80's might reduce their lifespan by a year. An elementary school child killed randomly is a much greater loss of years, as well as much more traumatic for everyone concerned. Just listing a number for deaths does a very poor job of measuring the societal cost of an something.
jnpy!$4g3cwk is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:56 PM   #109
Squadleader
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnpy!$4g3cwk View Post

So, the problem with listing raw "deaths" is that it doesn't show how much someone's life span has been reduced. Normally, when looking at risks, one factors in the age of the person. Suboptimal healthcare for someone in their 80's might reduce their lifespan by a year. An elementary school child killed randomly is a much greater loss of years, as well as much more traumatic for everyone concerned. Just listing a number for deaths does a very poor job of measuring the societal cost of an something.
Not quite ...an elementary school child death is a tragedy and untimely, but an 80 year old blood is the same color....and no less a tragedy...To the left the societal cost is taxes that wont be paid...You guys are sick....
Squadleader is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 09:03 PM   #110
Mac'nCheese
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Not quite ...an elementary school child death is a tragedy and untimely, but an 80 year old blood is the same color....and no less a tragedy...To the left the societal cost is taxes that wont be paid...You guys are sick....
Ask anyone who has both a child and a parent, which is a greater tragedy. The death of that child or their parent. Cruel to talk about? Maybe. But it's a no brainer. Of course the death of a child is a tragedy much greater than that of an elderly person.
Mac'nCheese is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 01:48 AM   #111
fat jez
macrumors 65816

It's the difference between an elderly person who has had the chance to lead a full life and a young person who never got that chance because somebody else cut it short.

Losing any relative is hard, but no parent wants to bury their child.
fat jez is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 02:58 AM   #112
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat jez View Post
It's the difference between an elderly person who has had the chance to lead a full life and a young person who never got that chance because somebody else cut it short.

+1

Quote:
Is it down ?
Quote:
In the United States, the number of drunk driving deaths has been cut in half since MADD was founded in 1980.
http://www.madd.org/drunk-driving/ab...tatistics.html
Old Feb 17, 2013, 03:35 AM   #113
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

Quote:
By which I presume you mean that - just like everyone else in the US has the option to - Obama is keeping his current healthcare plan...
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:46 AM   #114
TPadden
macrumors 6502

Quote:
....If you're trying to eliminate violence, eliminating firearms won't work. Firearms are just a tool. If you're trying to eliminate needless deaths, then you will save more lives by outlawing drunk driving, to save even more lives ban the private ownership of swimming pools. Hey, let's take it a step further, how many people die in the bathtub every year ?.......
Looks like cricket bats might be added to that assault weapon list ........

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/worl...icle-1.1266376
TPadden is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:50 AM   #115
eric/

Quote:
Ask anyone who has both a child and a parent, which is a greater tragedy. The death of that child or their parent. Cruel to talk about? Maybe. But it's a no brainer. Of course the death of a child is a tragedy much greater than that of an elderly person.
woah woah woah woah wait just a second. Are you making the assertion that the number of years determines a person's life worth? Or that younger people are intrinsically more valuable than older people?
eric/ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:02 AM   #116
Moyank24
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric/ View Post
woah woah woah woah wait just a second. Are you making the assertion that the number of years determines a person's life worth? Or that younger people are intrinsically more valuable than older people?
A 5 year old getting gunned down at school is more tragic than an 80 year old dying of natural causes. Period. Which is what the OP of this statement was saying.

I swear. Some people will argue about anything.
Moyank24 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:11 AM   #117
eric/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moyank24 View Post
A 5 year old getting gunned down at school is more tragic than an 80 year old dying of natural causes. Period. Which is what the OP of this statement was saying.
Well I'm not sure. After looking at these comments:

Quote:

Quote:
It's unclear to me if we're actually talking about the "tragicness" of the way you die, or the age and having lived your life.

Quote:
I swear. Some people will argue about anything.
Probably in the wrong forum if this is an issue. We're all here to debate and discuss issues.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:16 AM   #118
Moyank24
macrumors 68040

The original post and Squadleader's response (squadleader also seemed to put words in the OP's mouth with regards to taxes, which were not mentioned in the post).

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Well I'm not sure. After looking at these comments:

It's unclear to me if we're actually talking about the "tragicness" of the way you die, or the age and having lived your life.

Probably in the wrong forum if this is an issue. We're all here to debate and discuss issues.
Oh please. I have no problem debating with someone who is debating their true beliefs, but you have a history of arguing for no other reason than to prove someone wrong. And frankly, you're not very good at it.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:22 AM   #119
eric/

Quote:
The original post and Squadleader's response (squadleader also seemed to put words in the OP's mouth with regards to taxes, which were not mentioned in the post).
ah, well see I saw that other subsequent replies, and was replying to the idea that either young or old were more or less valuable
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:27 AM   #120
Moyank24
macrumors 68040

Quote:
ah, well see I saw that other subsequent replies, and was replying to the idea that either young or old were more or less valuable
As with everything else, context (and comprehension) is key.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:39 AM   #121
eric/

Quote:
As with everything else, context (and comprehension) is key.
Yeah, it's unfortunate that many people can't comprehend some of these ideas, or miss the forest for the trees when discussing various issues.

It just leads to misunderstanding and bad logic
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:29 PM   #122
zioxide
macrumors 603

Quote:
There is a major problem with your logic here in respects to "useless gun laws" meaning "any law that only effects law abiding citizens".

A lot of guns that are now owned illegally and could be used in a crime were originally legally purchased guns. If we would have restricted these in the past, there would be many less illegally owned guns on our streets now.

Quote:
Well, your bias was obvious when you posted that graphic that tried to bash Obama even though the point it tried to make was completely unrelated to reality.

But, now with this statement, you just proved that you don't know or understand what you're talking about at all.

Do some research and learn what "Obamacare" actually is (a mandate that citizens purchase their own private health insurance) before you come here and try to bash the President with clearly incorrect information.

Quote:
Again you're letting paranoia get in the way of facts and rational thinking.

First of all, the drug you are talking about here is pseudoephedrine, a decongestant that is used in some nasal and sinus decongestants (mostly Mucinex-type drugs), which is a key ingredient in methamphetamine manufacturing.

Most regular cold medicines don't have this drug.

When someone buys a medicine that has pseudoephedrine in it, the purchase is recorded in a computer system, so it doesn't matter if you buy it at the same store or not. But nobody is going to be raiding anyone's house because they bought two packs of Mucinex in a week. This system is in place to flag and prevent people from going in to every pharmacy within a reasonable drive of them, buying a couple packs of Mucinex, and then going home with 50+ packs and cooking up a batch of meth. They would just be denied purchase.

It's not in place to prevent some lady from buying her husband and her kid a pack of Mucinex each, and at no point would this law ever effect anyone who is using or purchasing pseudoephedrine for it's intended purchase.
zioxide is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:58 PM   #123
jnpy!$4g3cwk
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Squadleader, I don't know where you have been, but, for at least the last 50 years, everybody from insurance companies:

http://www.efmoody.com/estate/lifeexpectancy.html

to the Surgeon General to (nowadays) thousands of health-related websites are always telling people how many years, on average, various risks they take ("lifestyle", as in, say, skydiving) or have ("genetic predisposition to diabetes") will reduce their life expectancy. In all that time, I think you are the first person that I can recall who has referred to this as "sick".

----

In either this, or a related, thread, there was a reference to a recent report showing how firearms affect U.S. life expectancy relative to other countries. That is a statistical question. Is it "sick" that people have recorded and studied those statistics?

----

Regarding the "extra" value of children, you can find it in the Bible, Old and New Testaments, in Shakespeare, and in your daily newspaper (including Israeli and Palestinian for that matter). If you think that is "sick", then, I guess you disagree with practically the entire planet.

----

But, actually, it is likely you don't actually have a problem with any of these topics per se, and it is likely that you don't consider such discussions "sick" in other contexts. You likely just can't stand any rational discussion of the social cost of firearms, because of where the rational discussion invariably and inevitably leads. Am I right, sir?
jnpy!$4g3cwk is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 02:03 PM   #124
eric/

Quote:
Squadleader, I don't know where you have been, but, for at least the last 50 years, everybody from insurance companies:

http://www.efmoody.com/estate/lifeexpectancy.html

to the Surgeon General to (nowadays) thousands of health-related websites are always telling people how many years, on average, various risks they take ("lifestyle", as in, say, skydiving) or have ("genetic predisposition to diabetes") will reduce their life expectancy. In all that time, I think you are the first person that I can recall who has referred to this as "sick".
Maybe we should ban those activities, since they make you more likely to die younger.

Quote:
Regarding the "extra" value of children, you can find it in the Bible, Old and New Testaments, in Shakespeare, and in your daily newspaper (including Israeli and Palestinian for that matter). If you think that is "sick", then, I guess you disagree with practically the entire planet.
Well it's a lot easier to feel sympathy for a young, innocent child than it is some old man

Quote:
But, actually, it is likely you don't actually have a problem with any of these topics per se, and it is likely that you don't consider such discussions "sick" in other contexts. You likely just can't stand any rational discussion of the social cost of firearms, because of where the rational discussion invariably and inevitably leads. Am I right, sir?
Can't speak for the OP that you're quoting, but here's a question for you. What's more valuable? A child, or a 24 year old engineering student, and why?
Old Feb 18, 2013, 02:49 PM   #125
zioxide
macrumors 603

Quote:
Maybe we should ban those activities, since they make you more likely to die younger.
How long are you going to keep making these horrible comparisons in the gun threads?

When will you realize that people want guns restricted or banned because they can hurt or kill people who have no connection whatsoever to the person with the gun? (Like kids just going to school to learn or a girl just going to a bus shelter because it's cold out)

That's the difference between guns and the comparison you tried to make with skydiving.

Yeah, sky diving is dangerous. So is doing a double backflip on a dirtbike in the XGames. So is football. And many other activities that people choose to participate in. Anyone who decides to participate in these types of activities does it willfully and they do it knowing that there's a possibility they could be seriously injured or killed doing these types of activities. Some businesses that run activities like this even make you sign waivers absolving them of any liabilities if you do get hurt or killed.

Those 20 kids didn't go to Sandy Hook school on December 14th going in to an activity where they knew there was a possibility of getting killed. They were just going to school.

The girl who performed at the inauguration who got shot in a bus shelter a few blocks from her school was just going in to a bus shelter to take cover from the elements, she wasn't going in to some extreme activity that could result in injury or death.

If you can't see the difference here and are just going to continue to make bad and fallacious comparions there is no point in even debating with you. The only time your comparison could even hold any water whatsoever is if a person was using a gun solely to put a bullet in their own head. Go for it then. I'm not trying to legislate against people willfully killing themselves.
zioxide is offline   3 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues