Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jack Tripper

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 9, 2011
I've read that Handbrake still doesn't support PGS subtitles from Blu-Rays. The process of backing up these subtitle now involves extracting the SUP subtitles with either mkvextract or ClownBD.

I've only been able to find the MKVToolnix package (on Windows 7). It's a GUI program for MKVMerge version 6.0. How do you use this to extract the subtitles?

ClownBD 0.79 seems to only result in a .txt and .mxp file of less than 10kb each. It's also supposed to generate a .sup file.

I'm unfortunately used to the user friendliness of Handbrake. Any word on when it will support PGS subtitles?

Any suggestions for using these alternatives to extract SUP subtitles?

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
I've read that Handbrake still doesn't support PGS subtitles from Blu-Rays. The process of backing up these subtitle now involves extracting the SUP subtitles with either mkvextract or ClownBD.

I've only been able to find the MKVToolnix package (on Windows 7). It's a GUI program for MKVMerge version 6.0. How do you use this to extract the subtitles?

ClownBD 0.79 seems to only result in a .txt and .mxp file of less than 10kb each. It's also supposed to generate a .sup file.

I'm unfortunately used to the user friendliness of Handbrake. Any word on when it will support PGS subtitles?

Any suggestions for using these alternatives to extract SUP subtitles?
What do you mean as support? The nightly version of HB will burn-them in. If you need soft subs, then you can add a downloaded srt file while transcoding.

jblagden

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2013
What do you mean as support? The nightly version of HB will burn-them in. If you need soft subs, then you can add a downloaded srt file while transcoding.
I found one site for downloading SRTs, but it seemed sketchy. Do you know of any safe SRT download sites?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.