Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:12 AM   #1
Jack Tripper
macrumors member

Handbrake and PGS subtitles

I've read that Handbrake still doesn't support PGS subtitles from Blu-Rays. The process of backing up these subtitle now involves extracting the SUP subtitles with either mkvextract or ClownBD.

I've only been able to find the MKVToolnix package (on Windows 7). It's a GUI program for MKVMerge version 6.0. How do you use this to extract the subtitles?

ClownBD 0.79 seems to only result in a .txt and .mxp file of less than 10kb each. It's also supposed to generate a .sup file.

I'm unfortunately used to the user friendliness of Handbrake. Any word on when it will support PGS subtitles?

Any suggestions for using these alternatives to extract SUP subtitles?
Jack Tripper is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:38 AM   #2
mic j
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Tripper View Post
I've read that Handbrake still doesn't support PGS subtitles from Blu-Rays. The process of backing up these subtitle now involves extracting the SUP subtitles with either mkvextract or ClownBD.

I've only been able to find the MKVToolnix package (on Windows 7). It's a GUI program for MKVMerge version 6.0. How do you use this to extract the subtitles?

ClownBD 0.79 seems to only result in a .txt and .mxp file of less than 10kb each. It's also supposed to generate a .sup file.

I'm unfortunately used to the user friendliness of Handbrake. Any word on when it will support PGS subtitles?

Any suggestions for using these alternatives to extract SUP subtitles?
What do you mean as support? The nightly version of HB will burn-them in. If you need soft subs, then you can add a downloaded srt file while transcoding.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 06:35 AM   #3
T'hain Esh Kelch
macrumors 65816

Send a message via ICQ to T'hain Esh Kelch Send a message via AIM to T'hain Esh Kelch Send a message via MSN to T'hain Esh Kelch
Handbrake nightlies also supports PGS passthru with MKV - Is that the same as soft subs?

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater