Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gsugolfer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 11, 2010
Georgia, USA
I'd like to set up a web-connected, low-cost home media center I'd originally considered something like a Raspberry Pi, due to the convenience of basically having a small computer connected to the TV. That looks like it won't work due to Netflix not functioning on it (so I've read online).

Here's what I'd like to do:
1. Stream sports events from a website. My college football team streams all their events (baseball, basketball, football, etc) on their website.
2. Stream ESPN3 to the TV
3. Watch movies and TV shows on Netflix
4. Have the capability to play music stored online

Last edited:

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Your out of luck on the sports streaming (both live and ESPN) with an aTV.

dgalvan123

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2008
Do you have a mac or pc?

Here's what I'd like to do:
1. Stream sports events from a website. My college football team streams all their events (baseball, basketball, football, etc) on their website.

This MAY be possible using XBMC. Google around and see if there is an XBMC plugin for watching your particular college teams streaming games. XBMC can only run on a jailbroken ATV2, which is now only available used. (Currently selling on ebay for $200-$300)

Alternately you could just set up the stream on your mac, iphone, or iPad, and then airplay mirror it to the apple tv. You could do this one either an ATV2 or an ATV3, which is the current model and available from Apple for as little as $85 refurbished.

2. Stream ESPN3 to the TV

I know there is an ESPN3 plugin for XBMC. I have it installed on my jailbroken ATV2. I haven't tested/used that plugin in over a year, but it worked ok back then.

For ATV3, Airplay mirroring is your option.

3. Watch movies and TV shows on Netflix

You can do this with any ATV. It's a built-in app.

4. Have the capability to play music stored online

This depends on WHERE you have it stored online.
iTunes? Yes using iTunes Match (and I've heard this has recently been enabled for music for "iTunes in the Cloud". I haven't tested this yet though.)
Amazon/google, etc.? Not, unless there is an XBMC plugin to do that.

Again, though, if you can access that online-stored music via an iphone, ipad, or mac, you can airplay that music to the ATV2 or ATV3 no problem. The only down side of that is you are tasking your second device.

gsugolfer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 11, 2010
Georgia, USA
There is always the option of mirroring my phone, but I'd like to have it available to use if I wanted.

As for Mac or PC, we're a PC household. My wife uses a PC exclusively, and I have one collecting dust that was retired for a Chromebook.

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
This MAY be possible using XBMC. Google around and see if there is an XBMC plugin for watching your particular college teams streaming games. XBMC can only run on a jailbroken ATV2, which is now only available used. (Currently selling on ebay for $200-$300)

Just grab a 2009 Mini. They are about the same price second hand, and much more versatile.
A Mini 2009 supports:
BR-Playback with a 20€ USB powered BR drive (it is powerful enough to run it smooth).
DVB-tuner compatibility for free-to-air stations
24p output to compatible displays
XBMC support with decent high-bitrate MKV decoding of 1080p files
It runs all the emulators and games
It runs all normal apps, for example internet browsers
Gigabit ethernet for fast movie transfers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.