Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

romafo2004

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 16, 2013
I just bought an iMac, running 10.8.2 Mountain Lion and installed Office 2008, which ran just great on a PowerMac G4.

2 issues I can't seem to resolve in Excel 2008:

1) when I just type "2", it shows "0.02".
I tried making the cell a number, with "0" decimals - that gives me "0" when I type "2".
I've tried customizing the cell to be "1" but that makes everything I type "1".
Is there a way to customize the cell to not require that I type "2.00" to show "2"???

2) I rely on Print Preview, previously a button in the toolbar, when trying to fit a spreadsheet onto 1 pg. Can't locate it anywhere now. I've tried to Customize the toolbar, but can't find any command for Print Preview. Otherwise, I need to go to File-Print, then PDF-Open PDF in Preview.
Does anyone know of a work-a-round?

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
  1. This is probably due to some foul-up in your installation. On my installation of Office 2008 under OS X 10.8.2, typing "2" (without quotes) results in a value in the cell of 2 (two). I have not yet duplicated your mistake.
  2. Office:mac uses the standard OS X print preview. It is in the File/Print... dialog box.

romafo2004

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 16, 2013
Office 2008 for Mac

Yes, I tried reinstalling the software a couple of times, but it doesn't change this behavior. I also can't locate the .plist file for Excel in both Libraries; I thought I could delete that in case a preference was set by default.

I was hoping someone knew of a shortcut for Preview instead of the 4 step solution currently.

Thanks for your suggestions.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
Yes, I tried reinstalling the software a couple of times, but it doesn't change this behavior. I also can't locate the .plist file for Excel in both Libraries; I thought I could delete that in case a preference was set by default.

I was hoping someone knew of a shortcut for Preview instead of the 4 step solution currently.

Thanks for your suggestions.

You have to buy Mac Office 2011 for anything after Lion OSX

ScoobyMcDoo

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2007
Austin, TX
You have to buy Mac Office 2011 for anything after Lion OSX

I call BS. I run both 2008 and 2011 on ML. I have to keep 2008 around because outlook 2011 won't work with my company's ancient exchange server.

1) when I just type "2", it shows "0.02".
I tried making the cell a number, with "0" decimals - that gives me "0" when I type "2".
I've tried customizing the cell to be "1" but that makes everything I type "1".
Is there a way to customize the cell to not require that I type "2.00" to show "2"???

I can't repeat this issue. Have you gotten all of office updates installed? From the excel->about excel box, I show version 12.3.5(121009) What do you show?

2) I rely on Print Preview, previously a button in the toolbar, when trying to fit a spreadsheet onto 1 pg. Can't locate it anywhere now. I've tried to Customize the toolbar, but can't find any command for Print Preview. Otherwise, I need to go to File-Print, then PDF-Open PDF in Preview.
Does anyone know of a work-a-round?

Other then suggesting the cmd-p shortcut to open the print dialog, I can't offer any other help for this one.

dianeoforegon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2011
Oregon
Did you use Migration to move over your data?

Testing in a new User will quickly tell you if the problem is system wide or if it's your User's folder that contains the problem.

CREATE A NEW USER

Go to System Preferences --> Create a New User in Accounts. Switch to the New User by logging out/in or use Fast User Switching.

Open Excel. It won’t be in the Dock in the new User. Go to Applications to open.

Do you still see the issue?

If yes, then the problem is with your base files.
If no, then the problem is in your User's folder.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.