Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davyvfr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 3, 2012
Hello,

For those of you who have iPad 1, does it still work for you?

1) Can you surf the web with Safari without it crashing
2) Does it feel slow or really lag at times?

I am just wondering as I might purchase one for a light user who only needs to do really simple task. I understand it runs only iOS 5 and can't be updated.

(I myself have an iPad 3, but that would be overkill for what my family relative needs.)

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
The 256mb of RAM is it's biggest limitation and it's a HUGE one. You'd be better off with the iPad 2. Starting someone on something that's 3 years old, with app support that's starting to dwindle and a paltry amount of RAM isn't the best idea. I'd almost compare it to starting a first time mac user on a G5 machine although that might be a bit drastic.

davyvfr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 3, 2012
The 256mb of RAM is it's biggest limitation and it's a HUGE one. You'd be better off with the iPad 2. Starting someone on something that's 3 years old, with app support that's starting to dwindle and a paltry amount of RAM isn't the best idea. I'd almost compare it to starting a first time mac user on a G5 machine although that might be a bit drastic.

Do you have an iPad 1? iPad 2 is out of the question, I am not getting this user an Ipad 2,3, or 4.

If you do, how is its performance? This person ONLY needs it for Safari and Mail.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
Do you have an iPad 1? iPad 2 is out of the question, I am not getting this user an Ipad 2,3, or 4.

If you do, how is its performance? This person ONLY needs it for Safari and Mail.

The Original iPad will lag at times, and safari will crash a bit. As long as the user has extremely basic needs they should be OK. Like 3 max tabs open in safari. Email won't be a problem at all. The nice part is you can find them cheap. You may be better off getting them something like a Nexus 7 that has a bit more oomph, a lot more RAM and will last them longer. Which OS is superior can be debated until the end of time but if you're looking for something for someone with basic needs and want some decent bang for your buck, the N7 is a good option as well. They'll have to sacrifice some screen space though if you go that route.

cruzmisl

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2012
Any website that's heavy-ish has a chance of crashing the iPad 1 due to lack of ram. Sites that my wife liked to browse were E Online and Huffington Post--both could make Safari/Chrome crash somewhat regulary, to the point where she got fed up and agreed to sell it. If you've never used anything faster than an iPad 1, you may be able to deal with the general lag of the device, but I would say it's too slow for anyone but a toddler at this point.

I agree that you would be best getting a Nexus 7 at this point.

We just got her a iPad 4 yesterday.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
Hello,

I am just wondering as I might purchase one for a light user who only needs to do really simple task. I understand it runs only iOS 5 and can't be updated.

(I myself have an iPad 3, but that would be overkill for what my family relative needs.)

I am currently using an iPad 1. It works fine for browsing the web, watching movies, checking email, reading books, viewing photos, and playing casual games.

Portability wise its quite heavy and it doesn't have enough power to do more productive things. Graphic intense games will make it crash as well as many apps open at the same time.

To get the best your going to need to not use...
-iCloud
-Notification Center
-Photo Stream
-Multitouch gestures
-iMessage

As things related to iCloud or require more RAM to be used will slow down the device.

1) It's fine for browsing although, tabs have slowed down the iPad. Closing the Safari app will require them to be loaded again.

2) Yes it does. Even do simple tasks it feels slow (probably because I also use an iPhone 4 which is a lot faster).

I think the better option would to get a refurbished iPad 2. That dual-core A5 and 512MB RAM is what the original iPad should have gotten. It makes a world of difference.

I'm planning a massive upgrade whenever the iPad Mini 2 comes out.

CoMoMacUser

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2012
1) In my experience, Safari crashes occasionally. Apps crash far more frequently. But the biggest annoyance with Safari is that when you switch between tabs -- even just two -- most likely the tab has to reload when you switch back. That's a huge problem when, for example, you're filling out a form or posting on a site such as this because when you open another tab to check something, you lose everything you've typed.

2) Yes. For example, when I type a password on Safari, or compose an email, it's not uncommon for there to be a lag of 1 second or more before each character appears. Closing all other apps doesn't improve it much.

One final bit of advice: Never buy the first gen of any product.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
I still enjoy the original iPad. For light web surfing and watching iTunes video you can't go wrong.

I wanted an iPad to take to the gym (for the bike and elliptical) and didn't want to take my newer iPad4 so picked up a 64GB (wifi) off of eBay for $200.

It was in near new condition, arrived quickly, boxed via USPS Priority mail and has been a dream.
If it's stolen or breaks at the gym I won't care as much- or so I thought.
Now I find myself kind of babying this one (kind of defeats the original purpose of purchasing it!).

You won't be disappointed in yours for the needs you've expressed.
(I would only add mine came with 4.3 and I won't upgrade to 5.0/5.1 and runs smoothly without issue. If you can find one running the earlier firmware I'd suggest that as a positive.)

CoMoMacUser

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2012
I would only add mine came with 4.3 and I won't upgrade to 5.0/5.1 and runs smoothly without issue. If you can find one running the earlier firmware I'd suggest that as a positive.

Great advice. 5.x's features don't outweigh the performance hit.

jeans94621

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2010
I used my ipad first generation up until January of this year. It did everything I needed it to do. I upgraded to an iPad mini which I love but I kept my ipad 1 because I use it to check email real quick and I also have the sling player installed on it and I run it in a room that doesn't have a cable outlet and sometimes I run it all day long and it doesn't freeze or crash. I every now and then run safari and yes it does crash occasionally but not that often. I would never sell it or give it away because it is still useful. And now that I have upgraded I realize how slow it is.

PhilipSmith

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2009
I use my iPad 1. It's slow to load pages on safari. I mainly use it for movies, comics and ibooks. I got used on amazon. It was listed as being in good condition but is like brand new. Let's see how long it lasts.

CoMoMacUser

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2012
The one service where my iPad 1 has never crashed even once is video: the stock Apple video app, the stock YouTube app and the now banished MiTube app. That's great because I watch video nearly every day when I'm in the gym.

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
My ipad 1 use to crash on iOS 5 often but since doing a factory reset and disabling most of the iOS 5 features its actually a lot better now. I turned off notifications, multi gestures and location services. Works great for surfing the net and email.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Hello,

1) Yes
2) YES!

Honestly, I'd go with an iPad mini over an iPad 1 for a light user. Or, if the 9.7" form factor is a must, then at least an iPad 2. The refurbished iPad selection at the Apple online store is definitely something worth looking into.

spyguy10709

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
One Infinite Loop, Cupertino CA
Hello,

Just get the person an iPad 2. The used prices are only 30-40 dollars more, and the experience will be MUCH better.

(Or get a nexus 7 if they know how to use tech fairly well. If not, go for the 2)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.