Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cnguyen0320

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 14, 2012
I have an iPad 3rd gen which I bought in September. The home button is not always responsive. I will have to click it really hard for it to "reconfigure" and then for a couple hours it'll work with a simple click. But soon after it will become non responsive to light clicks and will require another hard press.

I'm wondering if Apple will replace this. My apple store is about an hour away so I'm afraid i'll drive all that way amd they won't replace it because it isn't completely broken. What should I do?

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
if it's under warranty and anyone can feel the difference, then yes they would.

SpyderBite

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2011
Xanadu
Try cleaning it out with a dry toothbrush. If it still seems unresponsive, make Genius Bar appointment and if they can't clean it out either, they'll replace if it is till under warranty. If it is out of warranty you can get it replaced for $249.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
Try cleaning it out with a dry toothbrush. If it still seems unresponsive, make Genius Bar appointment and if they can't clean it out either, they'll replace if it is till under warranty. If it is out of warranty you can get it replaced for $249.

The iPad 3 & 4 are $299. Only the original iPad and iPad 2 are $249.

OP, they will more than likely replace it. If they don't, you can always call AppleCare and setup a replacement though them.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
That is all depends on who do you talk to @ Apple store ;)

Not really. The techs have their guidelines which can be rather strict, particularly on intermittent issues they can't replicate. Many managers won't kowtow to bitching customers and will back up their techs.

If its not happening all the time then there are two possible issues other than true failure that could be at play.

One is corrupt software. That's the first thing Apple will test. Is your software up to date and have anything crashed since the last restore. They will have you wipe your iPad and preferably set it up totally new (at the least use an iCloud backup not iTunes). You might as well do this yourself and wait at least 3 days before going on to build up any possible data. Otherwise they might just send you home

Second is a sticky button. Oil and skin comes off our fingers and can get in the mechanics. What you describe is a possible result. Find a soft lint free cloth like an old tshirt. Lightly wet it with alcohol, eye glass cleaner etc. very very lightly. Turn off your iPad. Lay the damp cloth over the home button and press it down. Using your nail, twist the cloth around 'the well' a few times. Let it dry and then turn your iPad back on.

Also remember that it is a mechanical item and can lose its 'spring' over time. So I would avoid using it as much as you can. Use multitouch gestures instead.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
Not really. The techs have their guidelines which can be rather strict, particularly on intermittent issues they can't replicate. Many managers won't kowtow to bitching customers and will back up their techs.

If its not happening all the time then there are two possible issues other than true failure that could be at play.

One is corrupt software. That's the first thing Apple will test. Is your software up to date and have anything crashed since the last restore. They will have you wipe your iPad and preferably set it up totally new (at the least use an iCloud backup not iTunes). You might as well do this yourself and wait at least 3 days before going on to build up any possible data. Otherwise they might just send you home

Second is a sticky button. Oil and skin comes off our fingers and can get in the mechanics. What you describe is a possible result. Find a soft lint free cloth like an old tshirt. Lightly wet it with alcohol, eye glass cleaner etc. very very lightly. Turn off your iPad. Lay the damp cloth over the home button and press it down. Using your nail, twist the cloth around 'the well' a few times. Let it dry and then turn your iPad back on.

Also remember that it is a mechanical item and can lose its 'spring' over time. So I would avoid using it as much as you can. Use multitouch gestures instead.

First off, each Apple Store is different. I've had devices replaced without question even if a Genius can't replicate the issue. Apple techs have the least strict guidelines I've ever seen.

Second, Apple won't wipe your device if it's corrupted software. (Most users haven't backed up in ages.) They'll run diagnostics on it and see what comes back. If the user is having tons of app crashes and the like, it'll more than likely get replaced.

Third, I wouldn't ever suggest someone using any type of liquid on their device. That could only further the problem. This is an Internet forum with millions of visits, so others may read that and try it themselves. If anything, just suggest them taking to the Apple Store. I'd hope you'd feel pretty crappy if someone ruined their device from your advice.

The OP is still under their 1 year warranty so taking it to Apple is the best advice that can be given.

Last edited:

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
First off, each Apple Store is different. I've had devices replaced without question even if a Genius can't replicate the issue. Apple techs have the least strict guidelines I've ever seen.

Over 100 mobile devices at our company and I'm the primary person taking them into the stores. I've been to 38 different Apple Stores in four countries and never once in the last two years has any device been replaced for an issue they can't replicate, particularly on the first visit. Double if there's software issues, which are checked at every visit that isn't obvious (like a busted display cause our gaffer dropped it)

So perhaps your local store is lazy and just swaps everything because its faster but that's certainly not the way all stores are.

And in those same 38 stores I haven't had or witnessed them swapping a phone that has massive software issues. If they didn't wipe it they sent the person home to do it him/herself. I've witnessed managers refuse to swap for not replicable issues on devices with software issues. And it makes sense. If the software is janked and that could be the source of the issue why hand someone new hardware so they can out a backup of the same junk software on there. Plus that's one less phone for someone that really needs it, like the kid that dropped his phone in a pool and not it doesn't turn on

Third, I wouldn't ever suggest someone using any type of liquid on their device. That could only further the problem. This is an Internet forum with millions of visits, so others may read that and try it themselves. If anything, just suggest them taking to the Apple Store. I'd hope you'd feel pretty crappy if someone ruined their device from your advice.

If someone can't handle doing what I suggested (which I do to those 100 devices daily) then perhaps they shouldn't have their device. Do you tell them to drive an hour (when clearly they are trying to avoid that if they can) to have an expert clean the greasy fingerprints off their iPad because noob owners shouldn't be touching their iPads with a damp cloth to clean that either. Actually you probably do.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
Over 100 mobile devices at our company and I'm the primary person taking them into the stores. I've been to 38 different Apple Stores in four countries and blah, blah, blah.

Wow, I'm actually surprised you haven't had devices replaced without a Genius replicating the issue(s). I see it happen all the time and I've had a few myself. On that note, I've also had an iPhone replaced just because the Genius said I was having app crashes and he'd rather swap it out than try to restore the software. I've also had an iPad replaced for Wi-Fi issues they couldn't replicate in the store.

If someone can't handle doing what I suggested (which I do to those 100 devices daily) then perhaps they shouldn't have their device.

Suggesting that someone shouldn't have their device if they can't do "X" is straight up wrong. Just because someone doesn't know how to clean, backup, or even use it, doesn't justify them not having it. If someone doesn't know any of those things, why not teach them instead of saying they shouldn't have it?

Do you tell them to drive an hour (when clearly they are trying to avoid that if they can) to have an expert clean the greasy fingerprints off their iPad because noob owners shouldn't be touching their iPads with a damp cloth to clean that either. Actually you probably do.

Yeah, I tell someone to drive an hour to remove fingerprints. :rolleyes: Seriously man, get real and lose that crappy attitude. You suggested using liquid on an area than really shouldn't have any liquid near it. If someone is suggesting using liquid on the front of the device around an area that shouldn't be wet, yes, I'll tell them to go have a Genius look at it. Especially if they are still under warranty. Why risk voiding your warranty for an hour's drive?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.