Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZmyDust

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 20, 2011
Hi All,

I'm late to the party with Handbrake but just got a new Macbook Pro and was hoping to rip some of my dvds to keep on the macbook as well as watch thru apple TV. I am attempting to rip a certain new DVD release "Caped Crusader" movie, but am running into trouble.

The video quality is poor. And I'm not being nitpicky that its not high quality enough, I mean the video is very pixlated, choppy, unwatchable, however you want to say it. See the screenshot of what I'm coming up with. Get the same result watching thru iTunes and the VLC player.

Am I missing something? Is the DVD protected to cause this? What can I do to get a watchable rip? I am using the new version of Handbrake 0.9.8 64 bit and tried twice, output settings once as "Universal", once as Apple TV 2. Same result.

Please help a handbrake noob.

ScreenShot2013-02-12at92758PM_zps996363a0.png

Oh and for what its worth, I was using this (older) guide and following the instructions to the T. http://www.macworld.com/article/1157590/how_to_rip_dvd_handbrake.html

Last edited:

MFL2012

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2012
Try MakeMKV for the rip, and then use Handbrake for playback on your ATV. Try the high profile setting, and check the web optimized box.

ZmyDust

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 20, 2011
Try MakeMKV for the rip, and then use Handbrake for playback on your ATV. Try the high profile setting, and check the web optimized box.

Thanks, that worked just fine. Still kinda wondering why handbrake was giving me this issue as it comes highly recommended and I didn't see any similar issues, but this will get me started.

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
That looks like a decrypting problem. i.e. the copy protection is doing its job. Have you installed VLC along with Handbrake? VLC contains the decrypting gubbins that Handbrake 'borrows' from. So to get the best experience out of Handbrake you need to download VLC too.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
That looks like a decrypting problem. i.e. the copy protection is doing its job. Have you installed VLC along with Handbrake? VLC contains the decrypting gubbins that Handbrake 'borrows' from. So to get the best experience out of Handbrake you need to download VLC too.
If I'm not mistaken, VLC no longer provides the appropriate decryption tools needed by Handbrake and Handbrake should ask if you want to install the needed libraries. That said, I think using MakeMKV is the most reliable route to go as it's decryption capabilities is very solid.

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
If I'm not mistaken, VLC no longer provides the appropriate decryption tools needed by Handbrake and Handbrake should ask if you want to install the needed libraries. That said, I think using MakeMKV is the most reliable route to go as it's decryption capabilities is very solid.

Oh good to know. I havent used HB for a few months :p I've always found decryption on HB to be 'solid' though but each to their own. :)

kcaruso

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2013
Handbrake crashes when scanning MKV file...

hey everyone im new to this site/forum so excuse me if im posting in the wrong section. i just ripped my first Bluray with Make MKV (Law Abiding Citizen) and i want to transcode it in hb. when i select the source MKV file, it says scanning title 1 of 1 and then crashes. every time. anyone have this problem or just a solution? thank you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.