Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peterquinn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2009
My iMac is running so slow I can hardly use the internet.

I`m thinking of restarting my I have the mountian lion cd but dont have the original mac OS disc that came with the iMac when I bought it .

it is;

20-inch, Early 2008

Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Memory 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Lots of memory is free but it is so slow.

Can I restart the system with only the mountain lion disc?

Nov 28, 2010
located
My iMac is running so slow I can hardly use the internet.

I`m thinking of restarting my I have the mountian lion cd but dont have the original mac OS disc that came with the iMac when I bought it

Can I restart the system with only the mountain lion disc?

You can do a clean install with just the OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion disc, if it is indeed OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion and not Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, since OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion does not come on a disc, unless you or someone else put it on a disc.

it is;

20-inch, Early 2008

Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Memory 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

2 GB of RAM is not enough for OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion. You can upgrade your iMac to 6 GB of 200-pin DDR2 SO-DIMM RAM via one 4 GB and one 2 GB module.

Lots of memory is free but it is so slow.
Do you refer to the storage capacity, that is reported in Finder?

"Memory" is not the same as "hard drive / storage capacity":

If you want to enhance the performance of your Mac, be sure to check these two articles, do not just use applications, that promise to do it for you.

peterquinn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2009
thanks

thanks, I updated my flash.

still slow

"2 GB of RAM is not enough for OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion. You can upgrade your iMac to 6 GB of 200-pin DDR2 SO-DIMM RAM via one 4 GB and one 2 GB module."

How to do that?

you are right, my disc is snow leopard. I think i should upgrade the memory before restarting.

Nov 28, 2010
located
thanks, I updated my flash.

still slow
Did you try anything else?

Open Activity Monitor and go to the System Memory* tab and look for Page Outs and Swap used and report back. Also select All Processes and then sort by CPU to show you the process(es) slowing down your Mac

"2 GB of RAM is not enough for OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion. You can upgrade your iMac to 6 GB of 200-pin DDR2 SO-DIMM RAM via one 4 GB and one 2 GB module."

How to do that?
You buy 4 GB of RAM from places like Newegg, get a normal Phillips #1 screwdriver and shut down your Mac and remove the bottom plate and replace the existing RAM modules. This guide shows you how.
I have a similar iMac model and it runs fine with 4 GB RAM and Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard.

you are right, my disc is snow leopard. I think i should upgrade the memory before restarting.
The term "restarting" refers to shutting the computer down and starting it up again, nothing more.
What you mean is "reinstalling the OS", which can be done via a clean install.

To create a Clean Install (formerly known as Erase & Install) of Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard (the 19 USD Upgrade DVD is a fully working retail version of Mac OS X and does not need a prior installation of Mac OS X on the Mac), follow one of the following guides:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.