Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
I don't like these ads.

All these random people are screaming words at me.

Sounds like WHEEL OF FORTUNE!!!!!!!!

I'm glad other people like them, but for me, the cheering sounds like some stock audio clip or from Family Feud. Maybe I just have propensity against those types of sounds.

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
it's not alive until i see an ipad 5 with thinner and sexier bezel.

It's going to be a loud update and i prepare to dig deep into my wallet for it :d
:d

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 61

Blakjack

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2009
I get it....but I just don't like it. Not Apple enough. But Google..........they get it. Their new ads are more Apple than Apples new ads. The IRONY

louiek

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2006
Knutters Knoll, Melbourne
In case anyone was wondering what words they used:

----

heart flip sunday hello taste grow wave awake shine friend spark land tomorrow on flick loud

go beam listen top forever rock morning sharp tune surprise run watch home soar bright deep

next green fly wild sunshine leap fresh show climb wake imagine roam night point one alive

That sounds like one of my 'conversations' with Siri.

gorskiegangsta

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
These ads are starting to become boring. 2 hands, white background, upbeat tunes while showing apps. Samsung's Superbowl commercial was funny and had decent actors.

I guess it all a matter of taste. To me, a minimal, straightforward ad that showcases the product itself, stands above one which has a bunch of people making faces at the camera, or a couple half-naked big-breasted women running in slow motion.

SeattleMoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2009
Der Wald
Good to see them stepping up the marketing game. It is a big time "war" in tech right now. Sitting around playing "defense" doesn't cut it anymore.

damacus

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2007
After watching those commercials, I had the strongest urge to listen to Glenn Miller's Pennsylvania 6-5000. :)

RolyPolyBird

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2010
Much better than the previous ads of the last year or so... I found them pretty engaging.

But still missing that Apple magic.

ConCat

macrumors 6502a
Let the over-analysis and hunt for product launch clues begin!

Lets.

In case anyone was wondering what words they used:

----

heart flip sunday hello taste grow wave awake shine friend spark land tomorrow on flick loud

go beam listen top forever rock morning sharp tune surprise run watch home soar bright deep

next green fly wild sunshine leap fresh show climb wake imagine roam night point one alive

brilliant beautiful fantastic marvelous incredible wonderful magical inspired phenomenal epic super tremendous remarkable stunning amazing iPad

---

spark go morning hello rock watch roam leap soar top flick deep fresh surprise up wild

tune climb grow point sky tomorrow green show heart flip sharp alive one lift home bright

taste wave now friend run listen sunday forever beam feel next play room loud shine together

brilliant beautiful fantastic marvelous incredible wonderful magical inspired phenomenal epic super tremendous remarkable stunning amazing iPad

Okay so from here we see a few words of note. Firstly we see "heart". Hearts are red, therefore this means a red iPad is on its way in the near future for the Product (RED) campaign.

The next word of note is rather obvious: Sunday. The red iPad will be released on a sunday.

If we take the first letter of each of the first three words, they make out "HFS". This suggests that Apple will be debuting a full filesystem in this red iPad.

The next word of note is "Friend". Clearly this means that not only will Siri do things for you, but it will be your "Friend". It'll make snide remarks about your choice of dress, it'll always be there to point out when you're acting like an idiot, and most importantly, it'll bring beer!

From the word "Spark" we can deduce that Apple will be releasing a new connector to replace the just-released Lightning connecter, called "Spark". It'll be even smaller than Lightning, just to piss you off.

The next word of note is "Tomorrow". Seeing as how tomorrow is not a sunday, we can deduce that this means the red iPad will be released next sunday, a week from now (or perhaps today! It's still sunday in some parts of the world!).

The word "Loud" can only mean one thing. The red iPad will come with extra loud speakers. Like, really really loud. I'm serious.

Meh, I'm tired. Someone else can continue.

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
The ads are not meant for Steve Jobs cultist, they are meant for normal consumers with normal lives.

Right. The guy who envisioned the products and drove his design team to meet his vision and turned the company into a juggernaut should be left in the past because Tim `Mr. Logistics' is better at understanding consumers.

dec.

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto
Right. The guy who envisioned the products and drove his design team to meet his vision and turned the company into a juggernaut should be left in the past because Tim `Mr. Logistics' is better at understanding consumers.

Hopefully SJ was good enough of a leader to steer an entire company into a certain direction.

I still think that it's interesting how products are perceived just by the circumstances. Just hypothetically - had the Macbook Air been just recently, everyone would have been whining about "Apple's focus is on making things thinner *whine*"... so really, let's just see how things go with Apple.

gijoeinla

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Dude...dude... The "point" of these ads are..... The apps... Doh.

Um it seems they are pretty effective since there's already plenty of discussion what apps appear in the spots.. I'm in marketing and it's the very first thing that crossed my mind.

The message is effective. The ads work.. And no these dont and won't appeal to core customers.. Those of us that are core dont need an explanation or expectation.

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009

Living in the past won't change the future. Steve Jobs can not be recreated. Bringing up what Steve would have done or not is pretty much irrelevant.

Samz

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2008
If you look carefully, the Vimeo video of the Black Keys is this one: vimeo.com/58929021

The video was uploaded just last week just for use in this ad, judging by its short length. The only other video uploaded by this person is a similar concert clip from the Foo Fighters, but it seems The Black Keys were settled upon instead. Look at the attention to detail as well with those fake comments - I'd imagine Maureen Walsh and the others work for Apple's marketing department.

Interesting to see how precise they are in getting a quick clip for an ad!

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
Call me whatever you want, but I miss the old Apple commercials, like the original iPod, itunes concert commercial, PowerBook 12+17" airplane, iMac G4 window shopping, etc.

These look pale and uninspired in comparison. Just random apps on white background.

Last edited:

StarPower

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2012
Good and elegant ads, as usual.

I'm not a fan of a combination of people yelling/saying distinct word/s in cheerful enthusiasm (bah humbug), but I understand the emphasis and "pop" it provides in these ads.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.