Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
If it does arrive in April don't get your hopes up as it will probably be just the new design without a speed bump. That would come with the next refresh. I'm waiting for both.

gadget123

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 17, 2011
United Kingdom
If it does arrive in April don't get your hopes up as it will probably be just the new design without a speed bump. That would come with the next refresh. I'm waiting for both.

But I think that would please a majority of people anyway Ipad 4 specs + Ipad mini design would be a decent upgrade.

I do however think they would have to add something different to make it stand out from Ipad 4. Maybe better Siri or something or improve the camera.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2013
That's another analyst prediction based on the fact that if apple don't launch that, they won't launch any major products in the first half of the year. How many people think there'll be a March/April release though?

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
But I think that would please a majority of people anyway Ipad 4 specs + Ipad mini design would be a decent upgrade.

I do however think they would have to add something different to make it stand out from Ipad 4. Maybe better Siri or something or improve the camera.

It would please some who want the mini look and they would consider that an upgrade. I however will wait later this year to upgrade when I can get the new design and a speed bump.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
So this isn't based on any "inside information", just Gene Munster prediction. Like he's been predicting an Apple television for two years now. :p

Baklava

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2010
Germany
Do you think, the iPad mini will be updated in March/April? We had some rumours about that recently.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
i don't believe the march/april rumors

new ipad worth buying will have the A7X CPU. A6 just came out in october. no way apple will be able to ship a next gen CPU that fast. no one does it.

even in the time of a new android phone a week they were all the same phone with the same CPU generations with minor differences

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
My guess is we'll see a new iPad 5 in April/May with the new design but the same or similar specs and an iPad Mini in the fall. I think Apple released the iPad 4 so soon after the iPad 3 was to get the lightning connector out. I'm thinking they'll resume a 9-12 month release cycle again.

sonicpace

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2013
Canada
If I were to wager a guess, I think we will see a new iPad 5 before the end of June and a new retina iPad mini update possibly as soon as November or early in the new year.

findwaldonow

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2009
This is the most unpredictable ipad launch ever.

Right?! I want my lightweight ipad 5, bad and there's no reasonable prediction to go on. For people who have a 2 or 3 and skipped the 4 for the 5 the uncertainty right now is dreadful. I keep checking rumor sites for parts leaks to ramp up a bit more.

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
that would be great! I'm on an ipad two and although it works fine, it's starting to show its age.

6x processor, lighter, thinner and mini design. I'd call that a decent update.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2013
If Apple do release an ipad 5 in April, do you think they'll launch an ipad 6 in November?

And why didn't Apple launch the 4 with the new mini form factor?

Last edited:

iF34R

Contributor
Jul 13, 2011
South Carolina
I'd really enjoy having a retina mini with the specs of at least the ipad 4. :) I just bought an iPad 4, and would happily get the mini with the same specs.

I'm predicting a summer launch, possibly a WWDC announcement.

I think this will happen for a few reasons. First of all the October update was such a minor update, that I don't think Apple would wait an entire year to update again (but they also couldn't stick to the normal March timeframe, because they would only piss off more people. Just a sidenote). Secondly, the iPad mini has completely stolen the light from the full iPad. It's newer, cheaper, lighter, and more portable. The large iPad needs to regain some of its "sheen", and it will NOT be able to do that if it shares a stage with a retina mini (what everybody has been waiting for). So the full iPad will launch about 3-4 months ahead of the retina mini. This will gain it a lot of attention. Sales for the full iPad will go through the roof (it's so light! so small! so thin! it's the perfect iPad!!!), while iPad mini sales will diminish thanks to nearing the end of it's life. Then the retina mini will hit a few months later.

It's better for Apple to alternate product launches a bit. Keeps the attention on Apple.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2013
I'm predicting a summer launch, possibly a WWDC announcement.

I think this will happen for a few reasons. First of all the October update was such a minor update, that I don't think Apple would wait an entire year to update again (but they also couldn't stick to the normal March timeframe, because they would only piss off more people. Just a sidenote). Secondly, the iPad mini has completely stolen the light from the full iPad. It's newer, cheaper, lighter, and more portable. The large iPad needs to regain some of its "sheen", and it will NOT be able to do that if it shares a stage with a retina mini (what everybody has been waiting for). So the full iPad will launch about 3-4 months ahead of the retina mini. This will gain it a lot of attention. Sales for the full iPad will go through the roof (it's so light! so small! so thin! it's the perfect iPad!!!), while iPad mini sales will diminish thanks to nearing the end of it's life. Then the retina mini will hit a few months later.

It's better for Apple to alternate product launches a bit. Keeps the attention on Apple.

That makes sense but I think an iPhone is more likely at WWDC. They'd probably want to get that out before iPad. Maybe iPad will follow a month later.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.