Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
I like my iPad but I don't like the ads.

Good thing you don't like the ads because Apple has already sucked you in now that you have an iPad. See, the ads are only for people they haven't been sucked in yet. This forum is funny, the ads are not geared towards people who already have the product. ;)

fredoviola

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2008
they should add:

"Buggy!"

Although all of those words they have used do make sense, you really aren't getting a complete picture without adding Buggy.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
The ads seem effective at demonstrating there are a multitude of aps for fun or education, but don't we already know this?

I don't particularly like the ads, as there is no overriding cute or clever hook.

But perhaps the ads are not for me but for those that need to still get a clue about what the iPad can do.

I don't even think the ads are really to demonstrate what the iPad can do. Only a handful of people are really going to sit and watch them for everything they are comprised of. The whole idea of any ad is to just keep the product and the name relevant by throwing them in your face. The world has a short memory on what's popular due to other competition out there.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
This is kinda like the original iPad ads but those were better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btfbIVGES1I

My favorite is the iPad 2 one though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjqSsScRCwQ

I agree. The original is just as good as these new ones, if not better, and the iPad 2 ad reaches into the heart and grabs hold. These new ones will reach audiences that didn't resonate with past ads. I quite like them myself, and it's interest how the quick display of words still leaves an impression, a message in the subconscious.

Fatalbert

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2013
That would be important if Surface did not support SD cards which solves any potential problems leaving iOS in a dust.

That doesn't shrink the OS down. It just fixes the storage issue. The OS requires a Terga processor and 2GB of RAM to run even with some lag, and it chews through battery. The 30GB installation size is just an indication that the OS is not tablet-optimized.

Still, if the Surface can fit an SD card inside fully, good for it. I wish the iPad had that capability.

Last edited:

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
they should add:

"Buggy!"

Although all of those words they have used do make sense, you really aren't getting a complete picture without adding Buggy.

What's buggy? Care to elaborate? Remember, the vast majority of apps come from third parties, not from Apple, so if you're experiencing bugs with certain apps, you should be directing your feedback to them directly, not at Apple.

Fatalbert

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2013
wow you are still strolling around? That's the spirit!

Either this guy Lilo is the consumer with the lowest self-esteem in the world, or he's on a MacRumors forum and has no Apple products. I've seen him before, but once glance at his other posts list has told me that this guy hates Apple, its products, and its consumers with a passion.

jon3543

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2010
Um, I have a feeling it wasn't just Steve Jobs that envisioned all these products. Leander Kahney, who is writing a book on Jony Ive, interviewed a number of current and former employees. Pretty much everyone he interviewed said the idea that Steve dreamed up all this stuff and then told them to go build it is BS. Some said some of the stories around how a product came to life weren't true and were basically made up for marketing purposes.

Shhhh. The cult-of-personality types will find that disturbing.

Kwill

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2003
Love the energy <3

I love the energy and the way the commercial explores different meanings of the selected word. The format well lends to a variety of new commercials.

Lark.Landon

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2012
So Cal
Good thing you don't like the ads because Apple has already sucked you in now that you have an iPad. See, the ads are only for people they haven't been sucked in yet. This forum is funny, the ads are not geared towards people who already have the product. ;)

lol I know right?

fredoviola

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2008
What's buggy? Care to elaborate? Remember, the vast majority of apps come from third parties, not from Apple, so if you're experiencing bugs with certain apps, you should be directing your feedback to them directly, not at Apple.

Mountain Lion has caused a terrible lag issue with Logic Pro which happens when you use any plugin that uses visualization, including the Logic Pro plugins. I'm not a FCPX user, but have heard that the lag issue exists in that Pro app as well. Both Apple apps.

Last edited:

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
That doesn't shrink the OS down. It just fixes the storage issue. The OS requires a Terga processor and 2GB of RAM to run even with some lag, and it chews through battery. The 30GB installation size is just an indication that the OS is not tablet-optimized.

Still, if the Surface can fit an SD card inside fully, good for it. I wish the iPad had that capability.

Windows does not require 30GB. MS opted for creating a recovery partition to make it easier to solve any potential problems. Sure, iOS can live without it but that's because the OS is so primitive.

Fatalbert

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2013
Windows does not require 30GB. MS opted for creating a recovery partition to make it easier to solve any potential problems. Sure, iOS can live without it but that's because the OS is so primitive.

Why do you need a recovery partition? Just restore it with a PC. I guess MS wanted to make it quicker to restore since it's something you have to do every week. Even with the recovery partition taken out of the sum (at the very most 15GB), the OS is still ridiculously bloated.

To put things in perspective, Mountain Lion is 8GB. Yes, that includes the disk image reader and SSH support that Apple actually bothered putting in.

Last edited:

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Shhhh. The cult-of-personality types will find that disturbing.
Well coming from current and former employees I think they'd know better than anyone else. Of course everyone has their own agenda and Kahney admitted he got conflicting stories from people. Something he also mentioned which surprised me is multi-touch initially started out with the industrial design team at Apple.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
Why do you need a recovery partition? Just restore it with a PC. I guess MS wanted to make it quicker to restore since it's something you have to do every week. Even with the recovery partition taken out of the sum (at the very most 15GB), the OS is still ridiculously bloated.

To put things in perspective, Mountain Lion is 8GB. Yes, that includes the disk image reader and SSH support that Apple actually bothered putting in.

Because, unlike iPad, Surface Tablet is a PC. Requirement to use another PC for backup/recovery would be too limiting. Mountain Lion does not have a recovery partition. It requires Time Machine.

Ceviche Lover

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2012
These ads are terrible. Here is the marketing dept thought process behind these ads:

Tried something new with the Genius ads, failed miserably.

Went back to the basic but these new ads are TOO basic.

Samsung has been putting out much better ads recently.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.