Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
That is what I was wondering... iMac 2013 21" or iMac 2012 27". What would you recommend?

No brainer. Get the low end 27" at the least.
You get bigger screen
You get 7200 rpm HDD (yes it matters)
You get a bit better GPU
Most importantly?
You get accesible RAM door which is upgradeable by yourself, which also saves you tons money if you want to upgrade to 16 or 32 GB.

So really, there's only a few reason to get the high end 21.5" instead of the base 27".

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
do you expect Apple to give you the physical SSD and install it for you at their cost ? you are not being forced to do buisness with Apple . you need to put things in perspective .

These guys are like the "hot rodders" were back in the day. Instead of getting the factory option, they would use third-party parts and try to get one better on the manufacturer's engineers. But too often, the results were disasterous.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
do you expect Apple to give you the physical SSD and install it for you at their cost ? you are not being forced to do buisness with Apple . you need to put things in perspective .

I would expect to pay the difference in cost between the two drives, not 5 times the difference.

buysp

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2013
Sydney, Australia
Come on Australian refurb store i have my credit card ready!
My neighbour threw out their 21.5" 2.9GHZ 16GB 1TB Fusion iMac box and i picked it up (from the dumpster) with a view to purchasing a refurb (resale value will be better in the future with a box even though the serial number won't match)
I think i'm a sad case LOL

Last edited:

coolspot18

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2010
Canada
Obviously the jump from 5400rpm to SSD is huge but is the jump from 5400 to 7200 that big?

It depends on what you're doing, but it can be noticeable.

My neighbour threw out their 21.5" 2.9GHZ 16GB 1TB Fusion iMac box and i picked it up (from the dumpster) with a view to purchasing a refurb (resale value will be better in the future with a box even though the serial number won't match)
I think i'm a sad case LOL

Yeah, a bit shady.

macnerd93

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2009
United Kingdom
More money for better/more hardware has been the part of retail as far as I can remember. Its up for the user to decide if its within his budget or if its worth it.

but you still don't get it LOL. Did you read my original comment?

the old iMac mid 2011 was £999 & perfect in every way for my needs

The new one starts NOW at £1099 lacks optical drive, slow hard drive, no firewire, SD card slot now on the back, no easy upgradable ram

to get the 2012 iMac to similar specs as the previous gen with Apple care, an external superdrive added, and a thunderbolt to firewire adaptor) It would cost me almost £1,325.00

I got the 2011 iMac the day after the 2012 iMac announcement for £978 brand new with Apple Care thrown in. The money I saved went to 32GB RAM for it and I'm also gonna get a Thunderbolt SSD. With the new model you are paying more for something which is far less feature wise.

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
but you still don't get it LOL. Did you read my original comment?

the old iMac mid 2011 was £999 & perfect in every way for my needs

If you read my comment:

More money for better/more hardware has been the part of retail as far as I can remember. Its up for the user to decide if its within his budget or if its worth it.

Last edited:

MacConvert2011

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2011
Lee's Summit, Missouri
Is there an external monitor that looks as good as the 27" iMac 2012 monitor? Because I'd do that too get a rmbp 15" and get an external monitor

MC914

HoopTrundler

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2011
I just love ridiculous posts like this. Gotta love MR for thinking they are Apple's only customers. :rolleyes:. Did it ever occur to anyone here that the majority of Apple's customers, maybe, just maybe, are normal everyday people that aren't geeks, they don't give a rats butt about a 5400rpm drive or the GPU, or the SSD vs. the Fusion drive or the fact that screen is molded together? PUULLEESE! Get over yourselves. Maybe these people decided to upgrade to the 27". Oh yeah, that's a thought? :p. I'll bet more people that don't frequent here telling of all their returns/exchanges are getting work done on their iMacs. ;)

I'll bet people that don't frequent here would like to watch a DVD on their computer.

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
But it's not worth it because its not better hardware its been made substantially worse

As long as customers base their decision on price we will always have cheaper, outdated hardware.

Another reason why Apple refurbs do so well, lower price, but outdated hardware.

I think the 21.1" iMac is more geared towards regular consumers, where the 27" iMac is more for Prosumer/professionals/power users.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
I'll bet people that don't frequent here would like to watch a DVD on their computer.

Yep and I'll bet they'd love to watch a DVD on their iPad or iPad mini or Macbook Air, but it ain't happening and they are still buying them and enjoying them right out of the box, unlike some people here who can't allow themselves one day of enjoyment on their new baby without picking it apart for what it does, does not do, could do better, should've been, needs to have, will never be. Honestly, why buy these Apple products if you're dissatisfied from jump street? There are other products on the market. Apple doesn't have to be apart of everyone's lives.

Last edited:

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
But it's not worth it because its not better hardware its been made substantially worse

In light of new information, Seagate is discontinuing its 2.5 7200 RPM drives. This is in light due to the direction the technology is headed. The speed difference between 5200 to 7200 is not as great as 5200 RPM to SSD flash/fusion drives. They plan on keeping the 2.5 5200 RPM drives on budget systems.

Perhaps one reason Apple does not offer 7200RPM drives on some of their iMacs.

macnerd93

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2009
United Kingdom
In light of new information, Seagate is discontinuing its 2.5 7200 RPM drives. This is in light due to the direction the technology is headed. The speed difference between 5200 to 7200 is not as great as 5200 RPM to SSD flash/fusion drives. They plan on keeping the 2.5 5200 RPM drives on budget systems.

Perhaps one reason Apple does not offer 7200RPM drives on some of their iMacs.

why fit a laptop drive into a desktop computer? The previous gen uses a 3.5''.

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010

More then likely the thinner body design would not allow a drive of that size. Heat is also an issue. With an SSD the thinness and speeds much faster then a 3.5' 7200RPM, it would solve both problems.

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
Gotta make the new iMac thinner ya know. Cause that extra 1 mm of thickness removed is so worth changing over to laptop drives, even though its well known that 3.5 drives are more reliable than the smaller mechanisms. Who cares about reliability, users can't replace the drives themselves anymore anyway with the new hotness glue-together designs.

macnerd93

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2009
United Kingdom
Gotta make the new iMac thinner ya know. Cause that extra 1 mm of thickness removed is so worth changing over to laptop drives, even though its well known that 3.5 drives are more reliable than the smaller mechanisms. Who cares about reliability, users can't replace the drives themselves anymore anyway with the new hotness glue-together designs.

so glad I got the previous generation the day after the announcement back in October. The money I saved went towards 32GB RAM for it LOL.

----------

More then likely the thinner body design would not allow a drive of that size. Heat is also an issue. With an SSD the thinness and speeds much faster then a 3.5' 7200RPM, it would solve both problems.

why make it so thin though. Now I love apple as you can probably tell by my signature. I can understand a laptop being made thinner, but the concept to a ultra thin iMac? It saves no space at all, its not upgradable really anymore now its more like an oversized iPad and Apple hope you just throw it away if the hard drive fails or whatever in a couple of years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.