Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:43 AM   #1
TheLondoner
macrumors newbie

When i unlock my iphone is it unlocked forever?

Hi everyone,

I just called vodaphone and I think the guy was pulling my leg and so wanted to check with you guys. I was told by the man that when i unlock my phone, and put a sim in for another provider, the phone becomes locked to that provider, and that i would have to pay them to unlock my sim to another provider. Is that true?

From the olden days i was under the impression that when the phone was unlocked, it was unlocked! (i.e. to all networks forever!).

Bit worried at the moment!

P
TheLondoner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 04:54 AM   #2
abz1981
macrumors 6502a

Once you have got your handset unlocked through your carrier the handset will remain unlocked. It will not re-lock itself to the new carrier.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 06:49 AM   #3
Mercenary
macrumors 6502a

Like all good mobile providers their customer services department is full of spit!

No it wont lock. They issue an unlock command to apple and then it's unlocked via iTunes forever. It will never, EVER re-lock. I unlocked 2 phones, one via orange and one via t-mobile and have swapped sims numerous times until I found a network I was happy with.

Pay the money, wait for around 2 months and you will have an unlocked phone (they usually drag their heels to try and get more line rental out of you). As soon as the request hits apple's servers its dealt with immediatly. Its the provider who takes their time.
Mercenary is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:50 AM   #4
TheLondoner
macrumors newbie

Maybe the guy just wasn't interested (or just poorly informed?). I will never know. Thank god what i thought unlocking was is actually unlocking!

Thanks for putting my mind at ease guys . I'm not even with vodaphone - got the vodaphone locked phone off ebay and currently on asdamobile. I've been thinking of moving to giffgaff once my credit runs out as they've got a cheaper payg data plan.

If any of you guys know any good 5 a month contracts let me know!!! My useage is far too low (20 every 6 months) to merit getting any contract, haha!
TheLondoner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:17 AM   #5
vitale
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLondoner View Post
Maybe the guy just wasn't interested (or just poorly informed?). I will never know. Thank god what i thought unlocking was is actually unlocking!

Thanks for putting my mind at ease guys . I'm not even with vodaphone - got the vodaphone locked phone off ebay and currently on asdamobile. I've been thinking of moving to giffgaff once my credit runs out as they've got a cheaper payg data plan.

If any of you guys know any good 5 a month contracts let me know!!! My useage is far too low (20 every 6 months) to merit getting any contract, haha!
Three UK has a deal for 200 minutes, 500 MB data, and 5000 texts for 6.90, it's a 12 month contract though.
vitale is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone