Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

new mac rhythm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2013
As a warning I am a new Mac user and need help!! I am currently abroad and my iPod Touch 4th gen was stolen. I went to iCloud.com to set it as lost/stolen, but since it has not yet connected to the internet, it has not locked. I also can't see my photo stream which I know was turned on my iOS. This was a week ago. I am using my girlfriends Mac which has OS X 10.5.8, so I can't find iCloud on her computer to sync with my Apple ID to retrieve the photos from my camera roll. I really want to recover my photos (hundreds of travel photos) and I don't have $ to buy a new iPod until I return to the states. How do I update her Mac to include iCloud in the System Preferences? Any help is GREATLY appreciated! I feel lost out here in "no-mac-land". :confused:

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
As a warning I am a new Mac user and need help!! I am currently abroad and my iPod Touch 4th gen was stolen. I went to iCloud.com to set it as lost/stolen, but since it has not yet connected to the internet, it has not locked. I also can't see my photo stream which I know was turned on my iOS. This was a week ago. I am using my girlfriends Mac which has OS X 10.5.8, so I can't find iCloud on her computer to sync with my Apple ID to retrieve the photos from my camera roll. I really want to recover my photos (hundreds of travel photos) and I don't have $ to buy a new iPod until I return to the states. How do I update her Mac to include iCloud in the System Preferences? Any help is GREATLY appreciated! I feel lost out here in "no-mac-land". :confused:

Couple of things. You will not be able to set up iCloud on GF's Mac. Need Lion. Better hope that the person who stole it does not wipe it. Even then, the odds of you getting your photo are slim to none. I know that is not what you want to hear, but that is the reality. Sorry could not give you better news.

saotomefirst

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2012
Rio de Janeiro
Well, if you have access to a Windows 7 computer, you could try to have it sync your iCloud data. I have a 13'' MBP with a Win 7 bootcamp partition that does just that.

To do it, you need to have Apple's iCloud Control Panel installed on the computer [ get it from here ]. Input your iCloud login/password and check the Photo Stream option from the list. The last 1000 pictures you took with your devices should start syncing in the "Pictures" folder. You can also recover other data too if you are interested ;)

I suspect this would work on previous Windows versions too, but I haven't tried. Anyway, wish you luck with recovering your photos :D

sectime

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2007
Find a Apple store, if one is close by, explain your situation they can help you access your account.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.