Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iXguy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2013
Has anyone found a way to get music into the iTunes library on an iPhone without going through a computer?

To ameliorate the upcoming "don't steal music" and "use a computer you idiot" arguments, let me explain first why I ask:

The scenario is this. I sing barbershop music, along with 30,000 other male BHS members worldwide and I don't know how many females in Harmony Inc and Sweet Ad's. Thousands of chapters use a program called groupanizer, which is a web-based tool that, among many other functions, lets you store learning tracks online. Learning tracks are versions of songs recorded with voice parts separated out. We pay the creators of the track for their use within our chapter. Groupanizer lets us store them on a website where only authenticated users, ie legally entitled (as per the terms of our purchase of the tracks) chapter members can download them. Typically we end up with 12 tracks per song plus a .pdf of (similarly purchased and licensed for use within the chapter) sheet music.

So lots of us use computers, which is fine. Lots of us use iTunes to sync to our iDevices, which is fine also.

Some of our members, especially the seniors, only own an iDevice. They do not have a computer at all. Or, they travel many months of the year (snowbirds) and only take their iPad or iPhone with them, not their desktop computer which stays home. Or they travel on business under the same conditions, their work laptop is not their iTunes computer (by policy), that one is sitting at home being used by the family. So, new tracks are released by the chapter, and they want to download them as start working with them so that they have learned them when they return. Only, they can't, not with standard tools that I've been able to figure out.

So, I've given them a half-baked workaround of downloading an app that has a browser inside it to go to the site and pull the song down and store it locally. But now it's in a separate archive from all their other music, and requires them to learn and use a new app. Furthermore, most of us use other apps on the iDevice besides the standard one once the track is on there, to slow down tracks, cut out loop sections, change key, control balance, etc etc. These track manipulation apps all pull tracks from the iTunes library on the device, not the third party app that was used to download the song directly. So, with standard tools they can listen to the song, but not save it. With third party tools they can download it, but not manipulate it.

With PDF's it's easy, just hit "open in iBooks" and you're set, it's on the phone.

Why oh Why does Apple make this so hard with music?

We aren't thieves, this content is not and will never be offered on iTunes or any competitor of theirs, we aren't trying to cheat anyone.

Please somebody tell me I'm wrong, and there is a way to get music from a website into an iTunes library on an iDevice without a computer... without Jailbreaking.

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
There's no way to download MP3's and get them in the iPod app without using a computer.

Probably to get people to purchase the music via iTunes. However in your situation it appears the workaround is currently the only open until Apple change their restrictions or maybe there is a jailbreak tweak out but I assume that would be a little to difficult for the people you are trying to help and i would have no idea what tweak.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Yup, I think ur SOL.

If you are unwilling/unable to JB, or learn work a new app...

U don't have to get an expensive Macbook u know, a cheap Windoze should do it. I see a nice thin ultrabook I5 processor for $599, and if you don't mind a tab thicker with an I3 $499 Costco.

iXguy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2013
Yup, I think ur SOL.

If you are unwilling/unable to JB, or learn work a new app...

U don't have to get an expensive Macbook u know, a cheap Windoze should do it. I see a nice thin ultrabook I5 processor for $599, and if you don't mind a tab thicker with an I3 $499 Costco.

They could buy an old used PC laptop for $100 from somebody too. That's not the point. An iPhone is a computer. It can edit documents, browse, send email, play music, download photos, download music (but not to iTunes), edit videos... to buy another computer for the sole purpose of saving a file into iTunes is just plain silly. So now this person has to haul around a laptop everywhere they travel, just to put music on their iPhone.

For many seniors in remote areas where there is no DSL, a 3G iPad is their only computer. Why make them buy another?

Prabas

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2010
Europe
Can't you just download a free app (App Store) which can play audio files and just 'open in.. name-of-the-app'? Those files won't be in Music.app, but you'd still be able to play them.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
Sounds like your "half-baked workaround" is your only solution at this point. I would contact Groupanizer, tell them what you told us, and see what they have to say. Other than that, it's either research Jailbreaking or having the members bring laptops with them.

mrgraff

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
Albuquerque
They could buy an old used PC laptop for $100 from somebody too. That's not the point. An iPhone is a computer. It can edit documents, browse, send email, play music, download photos, download music (but not to iTunes), edit videos... to buy another computer for the sole purpose of saving a file into iTunes is just plain silly. So now this person has to haul around a laptop everywhere they travel, just to put music on their iPhone.

For many seniors in remote areas where there is no DSL, a 3G iPad is their only computer. Why make them buy another?

Welcome to Apple's walled garden. If you want to browse the file structure and store files on your iPhone like "a computer" you need to jailbreak or go Android or Windows.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
They could buy an old used PC laptop for $100 from somebody too. That's not the point. ?

I am not an Apple salesman who is trying to sell u anything. Am just giving u the choices under your friends' circumstances.

The other option is to buy non-Apple phones but am going to guess the new learning curve there would be unacceptable.

NewAnger

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Denver Colorado
I am not an Apple salesman who is trying to sell u anything. Am just giving u the choices under your friends' circumstances.

The other option is to buy non-Apple phones but am going to guess the new learning curve there would be unacceptable.

Actually the learning curve is not hard at all. Anything I didn't know how to do, I looked up on Google and I was able to do the thing in less than a minute.

There is a free app on the net for Android phones called Android File Transfer. You open it, plug in your phone and the file system appears. from there, you just drag and drop music, videos, pictures, anything you want and it takes just seconds to load up an entire album of music.

Unfortunately Apple will never allow such a thing for the iPhone because they are after that $ they want you to spend in the iTunes store.

I'll continue using my Android phone as well as my iPhone 4S along with iTunes Match but I am amazed at the freedom that comes with an Android phone. I can download zip files on my Android and unzip them into any folder than my unzipping app allows me to create or browse to. I don't know if I plan on buying another iPhone in the future after experiencing an Android.

Also, my Android phone came unlocked straight from the manufacturer and has tethering enabled and takes 10 seconds to enable.

Didn't mean for this to be an Android advertisement but the freedom is there to do what the OP wants and Apple will never allow these.

zosokm

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2012
There are tons of apps which allow you to play music (just not through iTunes). I use mediaplayer which allows me to transfer mp3 files either via wifi from my pc or downloaded from the net. Mediaplayer is a free app which also plays non mp4 videos.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
"Unfortunately Apple will never allow such a thing for the iPhone because they are after that $ they want you to spend in the iTunes store."

Just because you use iTunes doesn't mean you have to buy things from the iTunes store. You can get music anywhere and import it into iTunes for use on devices.

I know the convenience, etc. for those who want to do it but most people I know (and they THINK I know what I'm doing so ask me) wouldn't have any idea about zip files and unzipping into any folder and then adding them to music library. They love the Apple one way works great for them - not for all.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
"Unfortunately Apple will never allow such a thing for the iPhone because they are after that $ they want you to spend in the iTunes store."

Just because you use iTunes doesn't mean you have to buy things from the iTunes store. You can get music anywhere and import it into iTunes for use on devices.

I know the convenience, etc. for those who want to do it but most people I know (and they THINK I know what I'm doing so ask me) wouldn't have any idea about zip files and unzipping into any folder and then adding them to music library. They love the Apple one way works great for them - not for all.

Yeah but Apple makes it harder to break-free from their services. It's all about locking you in (Google/Microsoft do it too).

The iPad is being touted as a PC replacement but you'll be forced to buy music from Apple if you want it integrated into your iPad (ex. Siri, alarm music etc.).

I personally buy all my music from Amazon and have to manually import them via iTunes. I'd much rather buy the songs on my iPhone from Amazon and have them imported directly.

Or even my bandmates and I exchange demo songs via DropBox. However, I can't import those songs on the Music App on my iPhone without a computer. It's crappy.

NewAnger

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Denver Colorado
My Android phone allows me to download music directly to my phone from Amazon as well as Google Play or an app called Android FileTransfer as well as email or bluetooth. I emailed a song to myself to try it out and I was able to save it and it went right into the music app.

Unfortunately Apple will NEVER allow such a thing and thankfully we have choices. I just wish I would have made that choice a few years ago.

benfica88

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2008
My Android phone allows me to download music directly to my phone from Amazon as well as Google Play or an app called Android FileTransfer as well as email or bluetooth. I emailed a song to myself to try it out and I was able to save it and it went right into the music app.

Unfortunately Apple will NEVER allow such a thing and thankfully we have choices. I just wish I would have made that choice a few years ago.

Actually there are multiple apps that allow you to e-mail MP3's... In fact, you can do all of those things just not with the built in ipod.app.

crispyking

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2011
I remember reading once of someone who would download the mp3 to Dropbox (atomic browser can do this), then their mac at home had a script running that would scan Dropbox for new files and add them to iTunes. This then made them available through iTunes Match.

gglittle

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2012
I was going to suggest Finale's SongBook, but that does not provide lyric playback, only the notes. I'm in Great Northern Union, and a certified CA, so I do know your problem. ForScore has one of the best interfaces in that when you have the score and the MP3 available you can select sections of the score and loop them. But ... you still have to download the MP3 and then copy it to iTunes.

SgtBullmoose

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2012
Basically if you want to use your phone to download files without a computer or without complicated work arounds, you need to use an android phone which gives you access to the file system. You can download files directly from your browser just like on a PC.

benfica88

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2008
Basically if you want to use your phone to download files without a computer or without complicated work arounds, you need to use an android phone which gives you access to the file system. You can download files directly from your browser just like on a PC.

Again, you can do this on ios.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.