Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
C

champ01

Well, my imac's screen started blacking out about 1.5 years after I bought it. Thanks to Applecare, they sent people down to bring it back for servicing, and brought it back to my house. I think the servicing costs saved alone more than offsets whatever I spent on applecare.

If the stores are 200 miles away I can understand you wanna pay a little extra so they pick it up at your home. But the post office would've probably been cheaper.

And if Apple offered "free 3 year warranty", it simply means the costs are factored into the initial selling price. So either way, I don't see how we would be any better off.

No prices wouldn't have to go up. (those are just tactics to scare people) Most of Europe has the same prices which are comparable to the prices in America. In my own business I give one year extra on top of the factory warranty. I do this so I can check if lots of products die after warranties. If that happens a lot I know they tampered with the design and i'll tell my costumers openly about it.

PVisitors

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2011
You do understand that you pay extra because Apple doesn't care right?

The only reason why people buy AppleCare is because marketing works. Its profitable in America to sell these types of structures. In Europe you get 2 or 3 years but never the less lots of people don't know the laws that well so they also fall for Apple's marketing anyway. (many articles about this on MacRumors)

If we are really honest with ourselves we would come to the conclusion that one year warranties are a complete joke if products are well designed.
Paying extra to get 2 more years only shows companies can sell anything to almost everyone without them knowing they got ripped off.

It's worth mentioning that the EU warranty is worded so that it applies if the defect is present on delivery in contrast to Apple's warranty which mentions defects can be present /after/ delivery.

It's because of this most people, especially if they've bought from snakeoil salesman mentality businesses like PC world, will have issues relying on their EU statutory warranty. It's too easy for a business to claim that the defect wasn't present on delivery and thus doesn't apply. You can of course, threaten legal action, but by the time you have factored that cost in, it's probably worked out more expensive than paying for that 1 year extra on Applecare.

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
Nice to see Ive in another environment than his usual Apple product ads. Would be priceless to have the opportunity to talk to him one time.

Inconsequential

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2007
How about soldering RAM to motherboard in desktop computer to save few cubic millimeters of space inside the computer but none of the footprint of the desk?

Go back 20 years and your probably find people complaining that the components on a motherboard are too small or hard to replace so it isn't repairable.

Technology is getting smaller. People don't care if it is easily repairable, they just want it to work.

This forum is full of tech enthusiasts and therefore care more about this stuff. 99% of tech is bought by people that don't give a monkies. They ain't gonna change mem sticks over or even notice they need to upgrade it.

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
Go back 20 years and your probably find people complaining that the components on a motherboard are too small or hard to replace so it isn't repairable.

Technology is getting smaller. People don't care if it is easily repairable, they just want it to work.

This forum is full of tech enthusiasts and therefore care more about this stuff. 99% of tech is bought by people that don't give a monkies. They ain't gonna change mem sticks over or even notice they need to upgrade it.

Yep completely agree, 95% of people that buy a computer these days buy what they need, use it typically for 3-5 years buy and new computer without upgrading the old one. Being able to upgrade hardware was more important 10 years ago, when each year the capability of computers was dramatically increased as technology moved forward, not so much these days. I am still using a 2006 Mac Pro, and have not upgraded it since I purchased yet. Also on my 5th Apple notebook and have not upgraded any of them.

Now I understand that 5% of the market does care, but these are not Apple's target customers.

C

champ01

Yes most people don't give a damn. Its why we're in this situation. The enormous amount of waste being produced is sickening. This attitude must change. Its not like resources are endless. It took Earth millions of years and people/companies are rippin it from the next generations. If we don't start caring we'll end at a point of no return. But if profit stays the main goal and we keep supporting the monetary system this will not change.

waste-dump.jpg

crepuscular

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2012
Yes most people don't give a damn. Its why we're in this situation. The enormous amount of waste being produced is sickening. This attitude must change. Its not like resources are endless. It took Earth millions of years and people/companies are rippin it from the next generations. If we don't start caring we'll end at a point of no return. But if profit stays the main goal and we keep supporting the monetary system this will not change.

Here's a clue: just because something is less able to be repaired by an end-user or third party does not mean it can't be repaired or is not recyclable.

Apple recycled over 70% of its products by weight in 2011.

peterh988

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2011
Nice to see Ive in another environment than his usual Apple product ads. Would be priceless to have the opportunity to talk to him one time.

I was thinking about this last night, actually, I bet it's a horrible experience both ways, as 95% of questions will be "what does the next iPhone look like?" and a similar number of answers will be "I can't talk about that"

Lark.Landon

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2012
So Cal
50 bucks and a birth certificate showing you were born in Old Blighty.

It also helps if you've had Scurvy at least once in your life. That bumps you up to the front of the line.

* Googles "Old Blighty" *

Edit: Oh... darn. I looked it up. I want "Sir" in front of my name dangit.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
How about soldering RAM to motherboard in desktop computer to save few cubic millimeters of space inside the computer but none of the footprint of the desk?

I'm talking specifically about repair, not upgradeability. What does that have to do with repair?

----------

Here's a clue: just because something is less able to be repaired by an end-user or third party does not mean it can't be repaired or is not recyclable.

Apple recycled over 70% of its products by weight in 2011.

Don't think facts matter in this discussion.

Inconsequential

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2007

I think your getting yourself mixed up between repairability and recycle-ability.

A MacBook Pro made out of solid ally is pretty damn recyclable!!!

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
From th video I could make out that the milling machine is a Agie Charmilles MIKRON HSM 600U. Anyone know what one of these things goes for?

whatever

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2001
South of Boston, MA
I dunno. If I kept having to buy a new iPad every year because they kept breaking, I'd probably opt for something a little more solid and well built.

I've only had to replace one iPad. It was after I dropped it down a flight of stairs (hit every stair, landing on every side along the way). The biggest surprise is that it worked fine, but about week later I noticed a small crack in the glass (in the bottom corner) and I was afraid that it would get bigger. I brought it in to my local Apple store, told them what happened and they handed me a new one.

iPads may be one of the most solid devices I own.

Renzatic

Suspended
I'm an American :( I never thought I would use a frowny face after saying, " I am an American "

It does kinda suck sometimes. Knowing I'll never be eligible for knighthood is just...oh god...it's too much to bear. Oh sure, I might get the Congressional Medal of Honor or something, but that isn't as cool, you know? It doesn't come with a set of plate mail and a horse.

But I've come to accept it. And by accept it, I mean I make fun of the English all the time as a coping mechanism.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.