Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 8, 2006
California
Our home is with Time Warner Cable, both internet service and cable, and our internet speeds have been slowing down over time. This happened before and I managed to fix it with resetting both the modem and router and it's happening again.

Now, I'm planning on resetting everything in the next hour or two but this is very inconvenient as I last reset everything just two weeks ago. I really don't want to have to do this again in two weeks. What could be going on here?

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 8, 2006
California
Have you tried running tests like http://speedtest.net to verify that the problem is with the connection to your ISP and not some piece of hardware wearing out?

Yup.

We normally get upwards of 10Mbps down and 1Mbps up. I checked it on speedtest.net about half an hour ago and we were at around 2.5Mbps down and 1Mbps up.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Yup.

We normally get upwards of 10Mbps down and 1Mbps up. I checked it on speedtest.net about half an hour ago and we were at around 2.5Mbps down and 1Mbps up.

Does your ISP limit how much data you can use before throttling you?

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 8, 2006
California
After performing the reset and waving my rubber chicken, our network speed went back up to 10Mbps (and over) down and 1Mbps up. Now however, it's back to under 3Mbps down. I'm thinking it's because it's almost 4pm here and that's acceptable but we'll see if we get 10Mbps down later tonight during non-peak hours.

----------

Does your ISP limit how much data you can use before throttling you?

As far as I know, Time Warner doesn't throttle.

adk

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2005
Stuck in the middle with you
Are there a lot of other wireless networks around you? You could be getting some interference on the channels. I live in a large building and during the after work period my internet/network connection kept dropping. We switched to a dual band router and the performance has been stellar ever since.

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 8, 2006
California
Are there a lot of other wireless networks around you? You could be getting some interference on the channels. I live in a large building and during the after work period my internet/network connection kept dropping. We switched to a dual band router and the performance has been stellar ever since.

I'm sure my neighbors have wireless networks but I'm experiencing the slowdown on my iMac which is connected via ethernet to the network. The other (Windows) desktop is also connected via ethernet and was experiencing the same slowdown. The rest of the devices connected to our network, iOS devices, notebooks, and TV also experienced slowdowns when accessing content over the internet.

samiwas

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Our home is with Time Warner Cable, both internet service and cable, and our internet speeds have been slowing down over time. This happened before and I managed to fix it with resetting both the modem and router and it's happening again.

Now, I'm planning on resetting everything in the next hour or two but this is very inconvenient as I last reset everything just two weeks ago. I really don't want to have to do this again in two weeks. What could be going on here?

Are you in a neighborhood that is being built up? Our neighborhood was new when we moved in, and houses were still being built. As time went on, and more houses jumped on the cable lines, our speeds dropped. A quick call to Comcast, and they fixed it the next day. A year or so later, it started happening again. A call to Comcast, and it was fixed the next day.

Our neighborhood is now nearly complete, and has been for a while now. Speeds have not dropped again, and remain at about 22down/4up for me.

I would suggest calling Time Warner first and seeing if there's anything that could be impacting you.

Last edited:

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 8, 2006
California
Are you in a neighborhood that is being built up? Our neighborhood was new when we moved in, and houses were still being built. As time went on, and more houses jumped on the cable lines, our speeds dropped. A quick call to Comcast, and they fixed it the next day. A year or so later, it started happening again. A call to Comcast, and it was fixed the next day.

Our neighborhood is not nearly complete,. and has been for a while now Speeds have not dropped again, and remain at about 22down/4up for me.

I would suggest calling Time Warner first and seeing if there's anything that could be impacting you.

The neighborhood was completed decades ago so we can rule this scenario out.

Though, you could be onto something. For all I know, Time Warner may have been doing work on the lines in the area and affected our service.

At the moment, we're still at over 10Mbps down and 1Mbps up. I suppose if or when we experience any slowdown again, I'll give them a call to see if any work was being performed here. Thanks!

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 8, 2006
California
So I had to reset our network again last night/this morning after being slowed down to 2.5Mbps again during non-peak hours. So far, we're back to over 10Mbps.

I actually called Time Warner during this last incident and it's looking like our cable modem may be on its way out. :(

Any recommendations on a possible replacement? We currently have a Linksys CM100 (I think). I'd like to get another from Linksys but the only one they have on the market is $90 from Newegg.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.