Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:35 PM   #1
e271
macrumors newbie

Magic mouse and right click: how best to do consistently?

I'm a new mac users. I'm having problems with right clicking the mouse. I tend to have my 2nd and 3rd fingers constantly resting on the mouse. If I try to do a right click, it will work if and only if the other finger is not in contact with the mouse. As I tend to forget this, my attempted right clicks don't always work.

Any tips for getting consistent right clicks (aside from using the control key or getting a normal mouse)?
e271 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:38 PM   #2
balamw

As with most things in life, practice, practice, practice.

Seriously, consciously lift your middle finger when clicking. Sooner or later it'll come naturally.

B
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:39 PM   #3
dma550
macrumors 6502

I keep mine in my bag, and have a logitech G500 gaming mouse at my home and work desks

Seriously, I could not get a good feel for it.
dma550 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:38 PM   #4
2012Tony2012
macrumors 6502a

I just use a normal Microsoft mouse on my Mac, problem solved
2012Tony2012 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 03:26 PM   #5
e271
macrumors newbie

Yeah I suppose I'll keep practicing. I sort of wonder what percentage of people simply give up trying... I'm also fiddling around with BetterTouchTool, which has some mouse customization options. Hopefully it works out as aside from a few issues like this I quite like it.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 05:30 PM   #6
James Craner
macrumors 68000

I know some people like the Magic Mouse, but it is a pile of poo as far as I am concerned, get yourself a decent mouse instead. It is too easy to get a unintentional click with the magic mouse, and the acceleration is poor as well using the standard mac preference options. Razer make some excellent Mac compatible mice. Ironic for the company that made the mouse popular in the first place, that they can't design a decent one. Some of the gestures are nice with the Magic Mouse, but for me can't make up for its other faults.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 06:42 PM   #7
glutenenvy
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by e271 View Post
Any tips for getting consistent right clicks (aside from using the control key or getting a normal mouse)?
You already stated the best tip. The best tip is to get a different mouse.

Apple makes a lot of easy to use and good looking products but the magic mouse is just not one of them. The apple trackpad works very nice and you get used to the trackpad an order of magnitude faster then you can get used to the magic mouse and its quirkiness. Microsoft and Logitech also both make very decent bluetooth mouses or you can go cheaper and go with a RF or corded mouse.
glutenenvy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 03:43 PM   #8
dma550
macrumors 6502

Put your hand on a G500 mouse, they try the magic. While I love the functions, wow, very uncomfortable and difficult to trigger. I love my dedicated back/forward buttons!
dma550 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 03:55 PM   #9
Old Muley
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by balamw View Post
As with most things in life, practice, practice, practice.

Seriously, consciously lift your middle finger when clicking. Sooner or later it'll come naturally.

B
I've been practicing for years and still can't get it to work anywhere near 100% of the time. If the sensors were closer to the edges and the middle was a "dead zone" it might work better.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 04:01 PM   #10
-MRB
macrumors 6502

Yup, the Magic Mouse is horrible & tracks terribly on my Razor Sphex mat.

My MX518 on the other hand glides like no other.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:32 PM   #11
e271
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Muley View Post
I've been practicing for years and still can't get it to work anywhere near 100% of the time. If the sensors were closer to the edges and the middle was a "dead zone" it might work better.
Perhaps have a look at BetterTouchTool. You can change the areas which correspond to a left click, those that correspond to a right click etc. This includes expanding these areas right to the edges of the mouse. (In BetterTouchTool prefs, first click on "Advanced", then "Mouse" and then check out the "Clicks" and "Ignore" tabs.)

In the last few days I've made changes in BetterTouchTool and I am now using the mouse more effectively (though some improvement is probably just a result of focused practice).

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store