Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:20 AM   #1
braddick
macrumors 68030
 
braddick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Encinitas, CA
Real World Everyday Use: Is the iPad 4 much better than the iPad 3?

For day to day, is there a marked difference between these two iPads? I'd like to read of experiences members here have had- first hand, vs reading spec sheets that break the two iPads apart.

What does the iPad4 do better?
braddick is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:59 AM   #2
Essenar
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
The iPad 3 pretty much runs about the same speed as the iPad 2 because it uses a slightly powerful processor to render and display twice the pixels.

The iPad 4 is like the processing difference between the iPad 2 and iPad 3 without being slowed down.
Essenar is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 04:56 AM   #3
Menel
macrumors 601
 
Menel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Atlanta
Quote:
Originally Posted by braddick View Post
For day to day, is there a marked difference between these two iPads? I'd like to read of experiences members here have had- first hand, vs reading spec sheets that break the two iPads apart.

What does the iPad4 do better?
Aside from the lightning connector, it's pretty hard to tell them apart.

There are 3-4 games with iPad4 profiles that give slightly higher texture clarity.

Other than that. Email, messaging, calendars, web surfing, Flipboard. All snappy and fast on both.
__________________
iPhone 5 \ iPad Air \ Mac mini i5/Radeon
Menel is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 05:18 AM   #4
syd430
Guest
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel View Post
Other than that. Email, messaging, calendars, web surfing, Flipboard. All snappy and fast on both.

I disagree. Everything is just more fluid on the 4. It's very noticeable for me because i'm a heavy user, and having come from an iPad 3 before it. Some examples are home screen animations and scrolling in content heavy websites. Stuttering is virtually not existant on the 4 whereas the 3 would occasionally struggle at times. Apps also launch much quicker which is useful for me as I switch between many apps quickly.
  5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 05:25 AM   #5
ougum
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by syd430 View Post
I disagree. Everything is just more fluid on the 4. It's very noticeable for me because i'm a heavy user, and having come from an iPad 3 before it. Some examples are home screen animations and scrolling in content heavy websites. Stuttering is virtually not existant on the 4 whereas the 3 would occasionally struggle at times. Apps also launch much quicker which is useful for me as I switch between many apps quickly.
I've owed both. Believe me, except for the lightning port on the bottom, you'll never know the difference. Don't be fooled.
ougum is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 05:47 AM   #6
syd430
Guest
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ougum View Post
I've owed both. Believe me, except for the lightning port on the bottom, you'll never know the difference. Don't be fooled.
Thanks for correcting my personal experience and pointing out that I am simply wrong.

Did it ever occur to you that my usage patterns are different to yours before you decided write out your rude post?
  6 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:24 AM   #7
OSxiPro
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: UK
Im a power user and I noticed for real world every day use - some improvements in the iPad 4 over the 3 but to be honest - the iPad 3 is cheaper so unless you play new games and use the ipad almost all the time go with the 3
__________________
i7 Mac Mini(2012); Retina iPad; iPhone 4S; Win8 PC.
OSxiPro is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:41 AM   #8
braddick
Thread Starter
macrumors 68030
 
braddick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Encinitas, CA
It appears based on the excellent responses above the iPad3 is running on six cylinders while the iPad4 is a V8.

If I'm just cruising around town, picking up the groceries; dropping the kids off at soccer and whatnot, the 3 will be fine.

If I like to occasionally floor it on a wide open road during a weekend ride, the 4 is the engine to pick.
braddick is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:53 AM   #9
rockyroad55
macrumors 68040
 
rockyroad55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Phila, PA
Quote:
Originally Posted by syd430 View Post
I disagree. Everything is just more fluid on the 4. It's very noticeable for me because i'm a heavy user, and having come from an iPad 3 before it. Some examples are home screen animations and scrolling in content heavy websites. Stuttering is virtually not existant on the 4 whereas the 3 would occasionally struggle at times. Apps also launch much quicker which is useful for me as I switch between many apps quickly.
Right. For your usage patterns, but you only stated home screen animations and heavy sites and switching apps. Nothing to do with what the person you replied to said.

To the OP, I guess the only real benefit is if you play games a lot or you like the convenience of the lightning cable if you have other apple devices that use it. Resale value, iPad 4 is nicer.
rockyroad55 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:55 AM   #10
nickchallis92
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
I don't own an iPad but even I noticed that iOS6 horribly decreased performance on my mum's iPad 3
nickchallis92 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:00 AM   #11
taedouni
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: California
The iPad 4 is noticeably faster than the iPad 3. If you do not notice the difference then good for you. That just means that you lack the capability to notice it. However, that doesn't mean that there is no difference, because there is.
taedouni is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:31 AM   #12
AQUADock
macrumors 65816
 
AQUADock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickchallis92 View Post
I don't own an iPad but even I noticed that iOS6 horribly decreased performance on my mum's iPad 3
An OTA upgrade can be the problem.
__________________
Mac Mini i5 - iPad 2 - GS3
AQUADock is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:55 AM   #13
kngelv
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Detroit
"Power user" = inflated ego.
__________________
15in 2.53ghz MacBook Pro Late 2008
24in Apple Cinema Display LED
kngelv is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:07 PM   #14
QCassidy352
macrumors G3
 
QCassidy352's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: San Francisco
don't forget the FT HD camera. That would be the single biggest selling point for me, though of course YMMV.
__________________
"If Jesus Himself came back to earth and turned water to wine, half of MacRumors would say 'meh, this is red. I wanted white.'"
QCassidy352 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:11 PM   #15
Apple fanboy
macrumors 603
 
Apple fanboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by kngelv View Post
"Power user" = inflated ego.
I wondered what a power user does on an iPad. I thought that's why we all have Macs?
__________________
Does size matter?
Apple fanboy is online now   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:18 PM   #16
irDigital0l
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
The iPad 4 can't do anything more than the iPad 3 but all the things that could use extra power, the iPad 4 does better.
irDigital0l is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 02:00 PM   #17
Batavian
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Battery life.
__________________
I miss the down arrow.
Batavian is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:12 PM   #18
palpatine
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by taedouni View Post
The iPad 4 is noticeably faster than the iPad 3. If you do not notice the difference then good for you. That just means that you lack the capability to notice it. However, that doesn't mean that there is no difference, because there is.
Hahaha. You lack the capability to notice it = it is faster, but not enough that it matters. For the stuff I do most of the time, it is not noticeable (by my incapable brain), but I do not play games or generally use apps that push the limits of the device. I use Safari, iAnnotate, Evernote, etc. I bet your use case is the most important factor. If you gave my parents a netbook, it would just as fast for them as a Macbook Pro, because they are just checking email. But, if you gave a netbook to a graphic artist, they would be writhing around on the floor in pain. So, the improvement is in the eye of the beholder. Not incapability, per se, but use case.

The battery life mentioned above would be great. And, I imagine that if I scrolled through enough of my PDFs side by side I could see a difference between the 3 and 4. What I hope is that someday Apple will come out with something so powerful that I no longer have to see those checkerboards on my iPad while I wait for a PDF page to render. Maybe the iPad 5.
palpatine is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 04:19 PM   #19
DaveOP
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chicago
It was really noticeable to me when I got the 4 after owning the 3. The browsing loaded much faster and that's where I found the most useful change. I don't game much, you would probably notice it there too.
__________________
Space Grey iPad Air || iPhone 5S 32GB Gold || Registered iOS Developer
DaveOP is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 04:32 PM   #20
akdj
macrumors 65816
 
akdj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by ougum View Post
I've owed both. Believe me, except for the lightning port on the bottom, you'll never know the difference. Don't be fooled.
Lol...wrong!

I still own both. The iPad 4 is noticeably faster in almost any task you can throw at it. For population of my morning RSS reader to rendering photos...exporting a video to downloading and installing updates. Launching apps, browser speed and retention, sync'ing with iCloud in Pages, Numbers and Keynote...I can't think of anything that isn't obvious. The speed of the 4 exceeds the 3 in benchmarks by two fold. You won't necessarily notice double the speed in everything...but you most certainly WILL notice a faster and less 'strained' speed with the latest machine.

Again...I own both. I use both. Daily! The 3 is an excellent tablet. Easily the second best on the market. But if you're looking for the fastest, the iPad 4 is it

J
akdj is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 04:41 PM   #21
BergerFan
macrumors 68010
 
BergerFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: London, UK.
Basically, the iPad 3 is pushing a sweat - maxing-out, behind the scenes just to look good when doing basic tasks, whereas the iPad 4 looks as good, but behind the scenes, it's taking a leisurely walk in the park, with resources to spare.
__________________
iPhone 5s: (32GB Space Grey) - iPad Air: (32GB Wi-Fi Space Grey)
Retina MacBook Pro(2012): (2.7GHz i7 - 16GB RAM - 512GB SSD)
BergerFan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 05:12 PM   #22
Luis2004
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by akdj View Post
Lol...wrong!

I still own both. The iPad 4 is noticeably faster in almost any task you can throw at it. For population of my morning RSS reader to rendering photos...exporting a video to downloading and installing updates. Launching apps, browser speed and retention, sync'ing with iCloud in Pages, Numbers and Keynote...I can't think of anything that isn't obvious. The speed of the 4 exceeds the 3 in benchmarks by two fold. You won't necessarily notice double the speed in everything...but you most certainly WILL notice a faster and less 'strained' speed with the latest machine.

Again...I own both. I use both. Daily! The 3 is an excellent tablet. Easily the second best on the market. But if you're looking for the fastest, the iPad 4 is it

J
Lol why the heck would you use both the 3 and 4 on a daily basis??
Luis2004 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 05:35 PM   #23
ougum
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis2004 View Post
Lol why the heck would you use both the 3 and 4 on a daily basis??
LOL! Yeah that is funny. Most users would never be able to tell the difference without looking at the bottom of the unit. But if they think their 4 is the best thing since sliced bread, I say let them have at it. LOL!
ougum is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 06:25 PM   #24
senseless
macrumors 65816
 
senseless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
How about webpage scrolling blur and jitter? Does the 4 flow better?
senseless is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:02 PM   #25
Suraj R.
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Canada
It doesn't matter what these guys say, I still love you iPad 3!

Aha, I suppose the performance on the 4th gen is a lot better, but for just about anything the 3 shines. The only time I experience a slowdown on mine is with internet related activities, and that's due to my 1 up 0.5 down connection.
Suraj R. is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPad Mini: Real world report of the iPad Mini briceman iPad 8 Nov 11, 2012 04:25 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:54 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC