Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RezBlack

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2013
Hey,

So I bought a 27" iMac mid 2011 model. Unfortunately I didn't have the money for AppleCare.

I bought the computer in August 2011 and its worked great up until this November, which, unfortunately, is a few months past its 1 year warranty.

I brought it in and they told me I needed to replace the video card. So, 435 dollars later, I get my imac back, but it still crashes.

I bring it back, they now tell me the HD is failing. They swap it out with a new one free of charge. I get it back, it still crashes.

I bring it back, now it's the LCD screen. They replace it free. I get it back, it's kinda working, but now the Internet doesn't work. I bring it back. They forgot to connect the airport card(or something) and they repair it free. I bring it home, later that night, same kinda crash.

I bring it back, they tell me it's the temp sensor. They replace it free. I get home. Works okay, but notice its a bit slow. I check and realize 4gb of ram is missing. Apple tells me it's their bad and gives me. New stick. A day later, it crashes the same way.

I bring it back, they tell me they need it for 48 hours to stress test it.

They called me today to inform me they're just going to give me a new computer but it will take 2-3 weeks.

My long winded question I guess are they going to give me a mid 2011 model or a new thin model?

trustever

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2013
I would expect they will give you a 2011 model as perhaps they still have stock of them somewhere.. But is worth asking anyway, you never know if they sill surprise you..

Good luck with the new one (which ever model it is)..

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
I would expect they will give you a 2011 model as perhaps they still have stock of them somewhere.. But is worth asking anyway, you never know if they sill surprise you..

You should for sure ask them about it.

BigRedOne

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2007
I would ask which model they are giving you. If they tell you it will be a 2011 model, then you'll have time to play with some numbers to see if it would benefit you to upgrade to the 2012 model. Of course if their going to give you a 2012 model, mums the word!

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012

They don't carry old models for replacement - it will be a 2012 with the closest spec.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Hey,

So I bought a 27" iMac mid 2011 model. Unfortunately I didn't have the money for AppleCare.

I bought the computer in August 2011 and its worked great up until this November, which, unfortunately, is a few months past its 1 year warranty.

I brought it in and they told me I needed to replace the video card. So, 435 dollars later, I get my imac back, but it still crashes.

I bring it back, they now tell me the HD is failing. They swap it out with a new one free of charge. I get it back, it still crashes.

I bring it back, now it's the LCD screen. They replace it free. I get it back, it's kinda working, but now the Internet doesn't work. I bring it back. They forgot to connect the airport card(or something) and they repair it free. I bring it home, later that night, same kinda crash.

I bring it back, they tell me it's the temp sensor. They replace it free. I get home. Works okay, but notice its a bit slow. I check and realize 4gb of ram is missing. Apple tells me it's their bad and gives me. New stick. A day later, it crashes the same way.

I bring it back, they tell me they need it for 48 hours to stress test it.

They called me today to inform me they're just going to give me a new computer but it will take 2-3 weeks.

My long winded question I guess are they going to give me a mid 2011 model or a new thin model?

After all of that you went through you didn't even ask them what they were going to give you? Nobody here can tell you that.

RezBlack

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2013
I called them and they said ill know when it arrives. Depends on what's available.

I'm beginning to think the Vancouver location just sucks.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
I called them and they said ill know when it arrives. Depends on what's available.

I'll say they suck. I've had 3 replacement computers from Apple and each time they not only told me the exact specs of what they were giving me, they also allowed me to pay additional funds if I wanted to upgrade the specs and they would email me the exact configuration of the replacement. You're entitled to know what they are sending. I'm in the U.S. Not sure if Apple has the same good service in Canada as they do in the U.S. If it hasn't been shipped you should contact them again to be sure they are sending the machine that will suit you.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!

Just had similar situation to you, but my iMac was under AppleCare. Read this thread I started and you will see what happened to me and the end results. https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1538023/. I had top of line 27" 2011 and they replaced it with new top of line 27" 2012. I also received several hundred dollars in upgrades. Was very surprised.

Last edited:

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
I have my iMac (27" mid 2011 BTO with i7 & 2Gb VRAM) replaced due to constant failures. I have AppleCare though

Going to make a thread about it in a couple of days once the replacement arrived. Yep it's 2012 iMac :eek:

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
With that amount of hassle, i'd be expecting a brand new machine, or at least a refurb 2012. Not saying you should DEMAND it, but if apple wanted to make amends for the servicing disaster you have experienced, it would be a start.

Sure it is out of warranty, but you paid for repairs, and they screwed up several times (disconnected wifi, missing RAM, etc).

Time is money, and they've wasted a lot of your time. If you were trying to use that machine for work (are you?) it would be a joke - the amount of lost productivity you've been caused would far exceed the purchase cost of a new machine.

Given the things they screwed up, and how many times they did, I'd suggest that that particular apple store has muppets in the workshop and its quite likely that the temp sensor fault (and perhaps the LCD) was CAUSED by the technician doing the repairs (hence "repairing for free", but that doesn't get your time back).

Now, i'm a massive apple fanboy as far as their product is concerned, but your service experience is just unacceptable....

Last edited:

bembol

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2006
I would be surprised if OP doesn't get a Late-2012. Of course it would be amazing if it's new but I would be happy even if I got a refurbished model.

NMF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2011
This is why you buy AppleCare. Lesson learned, OP. Always factor it in to the price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.