Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Because this characteristic of iOS is an antiquity of when Apple needed to artificially slow the scrolling of the webpage in order to allow the webpage to render smoothly. It was one of the tricks used in order to maintain UI fluidity.

The current hardware is past the point where that is required but they have still maintained this.

This is totally erroneous. You really don't know what you're talking about. iOS renders everything as essentially a 2D OpenGL game to achieve the fluid manipulation across the board. That means in long lists like the iPod, to images (technically webpages are all manipulated as images). The physics of browser scrolling are not related to the fluidity/scrolling performance. It was a deliberate choice. The iPad has a different scrolling speed, apps can set their own inertias, and since iOS 4 (I think), the scrolling physics have been more responsive. The faster and longer you scroll now, the faster the browser scrolls.

Also, launch screens are not "tricks" to make things appear to load faster. You guys are amusing.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
And with Samsung's Note2 and new phones this year, you can simply do a pinching finger gesture at the front sensor of a phone that is in sleep mode and it will wake for a few seconds to show you your missed notification.

Can you tell me where to enable this? I've got a Note 2 and can't get that to work.

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2007
I have a hard time reading white text on a black background -- and it looks like Android is pretty big on this. Can it be reversed to black text on a white background?

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
I'm not someone who's constantly playing around/looking at my homescreen. I customize how I like my phone once to achieve the highest amount of efficiency possible. From then on it's about the Apps.

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012
I have a hard time reading white text on a black background -- and it looks like Android is pretty big on this. Can it be reversed to black text on a white background?

It isn't Android. App developers usually make two themes for an app. One being dark and the other light.
Additionally, some developers on XDA forums have created inverted Google apps, so it is a black background with white lettering, but Android straight from Google does not utilize this.

----------

Settings->Motion->Quick Glance.

I use it. But I just reach my hand towards the proximity sensor to trigger it.

Michael

Thanks for answering Michael. I've been driving the last 4 hours up here to Mountain View. Gotta stop by and see my little Droid buddies... before the rain hits.

BTW, I use the pinch motion only because it seems to work better for me.

TheMTtakeover

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2011

If you are asking whether or not you can invert the colors like you can on iOS then no. That's the thing that bugged me most about my Nexus 7.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Settings->Motion->Quick Glance.

I use it. But I just reach my hand towards the proximity sensor to trigger it.

Michael

Hmm I enabled it but can't get it to work. I do see a red light which I assume is the sensor.

Edit: pretty cool, it works sometimes, mostly though it doesn't work, and when it does the screen goes on several seconds after I reach my hand.

----------

Sure you can.

Settings -> Accessibility -> Negative colors

I never found this on my N7 on 4.22, this is one of my biggest gripes with android. To my pleasant surprise my note 2 does have this feature, though its not anywhere as nice as windows tablets which invert color without inverting pictures.

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012
In Vanilla Android? I have no such setting.

Vanilla Android, doesn't mean much without knowing which version. It may not be an option for stock Nexus devices, I am not near my Nex7 to investigate. Currently using my S3 on 4.1.1 Canadian (Rogers) based stock ROM.

However, if you are looking to surf the web with a black background and light text, XScope works wonderfully. Assuming you choose not to root your device.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Hmm I enabled it but can't get it to work. I do see a red light which I assume is the sensor.

Edit: pretty cool, it works sometimes, mostly though it doesn't work, and when it does the screen goes on several seconds after I reach my hand.
Once you see what triggers it best it should work every time. It takes a moment to come on, but I think that is by-design. It kind of fades in, at least that is how it looks to me.

I mainly use it, say, in the kitchen if doing something and my hands are wet or I don't otherwise want to touch the screen. Of course the LED usually will already tell me what kinds of notifications I have, now that I have them pretty much set how I like.

Michael

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
You really don't know what you're talking about. iOS renders everything as essentially a 2D OpenGL game to achieve the fluid manipulation across the board.

LAWL.
Reading those two bits of text beside each other has made my morning. :D I take it by "2D OpenGL game" you are referring to the hardware accelerated GUI which (when tasked with doing anything else) will take priority over other processes?

Here's a little test for you. Open a lovely gif in Safari.

Here is a kitten gif, aww http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_me98fjdnin1ri63dso5_500.gif

See how it's lovely and animated. Now pinch to zoom on it & pan around. What happens? All animation is stopped and the pan/zoom animation has priority over rendering the actual gif. Now let go, magically, our gif starts moving again.

Lets try the same on Android. The image pans and zooms but still renders the animation at the same time. Similar tactics are employed when rendering big websites on iOS. Let it load some elements then start scrolling, all page rendering stops until you stop scrolling again. Then try the same on Android and not only does it scroll/pan, it still downloads and renders the page whilst doing so.

Apple have employed some very clever methods to keep things smooth on iOS. The hardware accelerated UI is only a small part of the ways they keep thugs smooth.

Still, it's all about the "2D OpenGL game" that is iOS. Nothing else.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
LAWL.
Reading those two bits of text beside each other has made my morning. :D I take it by "2D OpenGL game" you are referring to the hardware accelerated GUI which (when tasked with doing anything else) will take priority over other processes?

Here's a little test for you. Open a lovely gif in Safari.

Here is a kitten gif, aww http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_me98fjdnin1ri63dso5_500.gif

See how it's lovely and animated. Now pinch to zoom on it & pan around. What happens? All animation is stopped and the pan/zoom animation has priority over rendering the actual gif. Now let go, magically, our gif starts moving again.

Lets try the same on Android. The image pans and zooms but still renders the animation at the same time. Similar tactics are employed when rendering big websites on iOS. Let it load some elements then start scrolling, all page rendering stops until you stop scrolling again. Then try the same on Android and not only does it scroll/pan, it still downloads and renders the page whilst doing so.

Apple have employed some very clever methods to keep things smooth on iOS. The hardware accelerated UI is only a small part of the ways they keep thugs smooth.

Still, it's all about the "2D OpenGL game" that is iOS. Nothing else.

Very interesting.

So that's why there seems to be something off when panning and zooming in IOS. It is like using a screen shot image to pan/zoom instead of actual rendering the window like Android.

An extension of the trick that shows an screen shot image of the app main window first to give the impression of speed.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Very interesting.

So that's why there seems to be something off when panning and zooming in IOS. It is like using a screen shot image to pan/zoom instead of actual rendering the window like Android.

An extension of the trick that shows an screen shot image of the app main window first to give the impression of speed.

You'll find user input its highly prioritized in iOS. If you open a busy webpage in safari or any 3rd party browser then start scrolling everything is suspended until you stop, it not only stops loading the webpage it stops downloading it.

Tapatalk is another example but the more annoying opposite. When its loading user input is halted so you have to wait for the app.

I use iOS and Android daily so it gets pretty easy to notice things like this. It's not that bad in practice (except tapatalk) because typically I can't browse a webpage or whatever faster then it can load. Regardless it is a way of doing less but giving the perception of speed.

TheMTtakeover

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2011
Vanilla Android, doesn't mean much without knowing which version. It may not be an option for stock Nexus devices, I am not near my Nex7 to investigate. Currently using my S3 on 4.1.1 Canadian (Rogers) based stock ROM.

However, if you are looking to surf the web with a black background and light text, XScope works wonderfully. Assuming you choose not to root your device.

Stock 4.2.2. Thanks, never understood why stock didn't have what seems like a basic feature. *shrugs*

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Stock 4.2.2. Thanks, never understood why stock didn't have what seems like a basic feature. *shrugs*

Curious why that option is important to you so much? I don't use it on iOS so it never dawned on my to look for it in Android.

TheMTtakeover

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2011
Curious why that option is important to you so much? I don't use it on iOS so it never dawned on my to look for it in Android.

I have my colors inverted about 90% of the time. On my all my devices. It's a lot easier on my eyes.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
This may not belong here, but I did not want to start a new thread. Do you guys know if I were to use nova launcher on the note 2 would I lose S pen?

TheHateMachine

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012
This may not belong here, but I did not want to start a new thread. Do you guys know if I were to use nova launcher on the note 2 would I lose S pen?

I use a launcher and can still use S Pen to cut things out of the homescreens. My guess would be that it is a background process running regardless of what you are in.

----------

No... there was/is a thread on XDA about it but it went nowhere.

Mike

Does that quick glance gesture work on a GS3? or can it be ported?

Samsung is prepping a "Premium Suite" Upgrade for the GS2 and GS3 that will port down all the new stuff that came with the Note 2's version of Touchwiz. Including a new host of other features... like the ability to take a burst shot of multiple people and it will find best picture and then stitch in all the best faces from the others. Will be interesting to see how that turns out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.