Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

undrtow

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2013
This is my first non-iPod apple product so I am far from an Apple expert and just have a quick question about my new computer.

So I bought a late 2012 iMac from the reburbished Apple site. The iMac I ordered was a 2.9 GHZ i5 with 1TB Fusion drive. Well the computer showed up about a week early (awesome) and when I set it up today and looked at the computer setting under ABOUT THIS MAC, it shows that I have a 3.1 GHZ i7 (even more awesome!). I don't know if maybe it was labeled incorrectly in the Apple store, but I have no problem with the ugraded processor. My main question is how do I determine that I do in fact have the fusion drive, since I guess I can't trust the specs from Apple's site?

Thanks in advance guys!

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
This is my first non-iPod apple product so I am far from an Apple expert and just have a quick question about my new computer.

So I bought a late 2012 iMac from the reburbished Apple site. The iMac I ordered was a 2.9 GHZ i5 with 1TB Fusion drive. Well the computer showed up about a week early (awesome) and when I set it up today and looked at the computer setting under ABOUT THIS MAC, it shows that I have a 3.1 GHZ i7 (even more awesome!). I don't know if maybe it was labeled incorrectly in the Apple store, but I have no problem with the ugraded processor. My main question is how do I determine that I do in fact have the fusion drive, since I guess I can't trust the specs from Apple's site?

Thanks in advance guys!

Under "About This Mac", click "More Info", then under "Overview", click "System Report". Click "Storage" when it opens and you will see the drives that are installed in you machine.

undrtow

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2013
Yep, I saw that right after I made the post. Looks like it does have the fusion drive. Any idea why this computer would have a different processor than the one I thought I was getting?

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
Yep, I saw that right after I made the post. Looks like it does have the fusion drive. Any idea why this computer would have a different processor than the one I thought I was getting?

Happens semi-often - a quick google search could confirm this.

Glad you got a better processor :)

undrtow

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2013
I imagine this only occurs with refurbished ones as opposed to new computers. But yeah, it was a pleasant surprise. What was supposed to be a 250 dollar savings turned into about a 500+ dollar savings. Not bad!

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!

Possibly that was what was wrong with it originally and why it is a refurb. Or Apple just listed it wrong. Also possible Apple sold 2 of them and did not have 2, so you got upgraded. Lots of possibilities.

undrtow

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2013
Well thanks again guys for the quick responses. As a new Mac user, I'll be reading these forums quite a bit.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Yep, it's quite common to get "upgrades" through in with refurbs.

If they get a CTO machine back, they normally sell it refurbished under the standard model label, so they don't have hundreds of different models in the refurb store :).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.